Author Topic: Reducing buffeting  (Read 738 times)

Offline Bazil

• Hatchling
Reducing buffeting
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:48:38 PM »
Hi All;

The preamble : about 15 months ago I treated myself to a nice modern helmet - carbon fibre, internal visor , nice graphics etc to replace my $ 60 special. I was disappointed to find it was so loud, and there was a thrumming kind of buffeting above legal speeds  that 100 kph here). I have heard that the thinner carbon fibre is more prone to this.

It did annoy me and I bought an MRA Xtream add on to the standard Mark IV screen. It helped a bit but still wasn't the best - doesn't look great either.  I just persevered.

Then, I had the misfortune to break my screen. Had it replaced by Eagle Screens in Perth ( same profile, greyish rather than brownish tint). To my pleasant surprise, the buffeting has largely gone, even at high speed. If I tuck in lower, the buffeting increased, but in a normal position, it's right in a sweet spot.  Didn't even bother trying to re-fit the MRA extension. 

The original LeMans screen has a plastic edging on it ( I think this was to make it comply with Euro regulations?). The new screen does not, so obviously this was creating turbulence right where I didn't need it.  I am a very happy camper !

So, if you have a screen with that plastic beading on the edge and experience buffeting, maybe try removing it to see if it improves.

Cheers

Bazil
1986 Lario ( long gone, still missed)
1985 Mark IV Lemans ( Gina)
1991 V40 Targa ( L'il Jeannie)
1962 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports

oldbike54

Re: Reducing buffeting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:51:06 PM »
  :thumb: Good information .

Dusty

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »
OP is absolutely right

I had exactly the same experience with my Lemans about 10 years ago

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
Also if the screen has a little "flip" at the top that creates turbulence.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here