Author Topic: LED Sealed Beam Headlight in SPII  (Read 773 times)

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
LED Sealed Beam Headlight in SPII
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
 Am about to install this headlight in my SPII. I could not find much info on sealed beam LEDs in the archives as pertaining to Tonti frame. Other websites say the back of the lens may be too large for 'bucket'. I got it at the truck stop, so I can take it back easy if non si adatta... We shall see (pardon the pun) later today as the rain continues to fall...

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-Projection-Headlight-Function/dp/B00E7ZW3T0

image uploader

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: LED Sealed Beam Headlight in SPII
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »
I have this one in my Convert and it fits without any issues.
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_154&products_id=5025
Charlie

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
I also have SPII.  I recently used the stock  housing/reflector to install an LED bulb.  Nice white lighting.  But the HUGE advantage is minimal load thus allowing the alternator to begin charging earlier and charge higher at any rpm.  It does generate a lot of heat, but I haven't seen any melting/deformation issues (tap wood).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BC4G48W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did run into the issue with Guzzi  using an older socket standard and modern H4 bulbs not fitting.  There are adapters available.  The problem I confronted was that most LED bulbs use the P43T socket base format.  But, my Guzzi reflector uses the P45T socket.  I think a similar reflector might be used in a bunch of Guzzi models at that age point.  So, how to convert?  I found this guy in Canada and purchased a pair of P45T-to-P43T adapter rings.  I still have one left over if someone needs it.

http://www.volvosolutions.com/Misc_P45T.html

I'm interested to see how the entire system from the PO fits and installs and functions.

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:33:47 PM by pehayes »

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »
Has anyone put one of these in an Eldo? I've been puzzling on how to convert it over to LED, with the fuse panel taking up space in the bucket.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:31:27 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
Has anyone put one of these in an Eldo? I've been puzzling on how to convert it over to LED, with the fuse panel taking up space in the bucket.

My friend John "jumpmaster" has a Grote LED sealed beam unit in his Eldo IIRC. I've seen a Truck-Lite brand installed as well.

I used an "Autopal" H4 reflector purchased on ebay with an LED bulb from Amazon in my friend Travis' Ambo (same headlight). I think this was the headlight: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264733969802 and bulb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRVBXZ6 .

If you still have the original headlight connector plug, there should be just enough clearance. The plug Greg Bender supplies with his harnesses will not clear. In a pinch, I've trimmed about 1/8" off of each prong on the bulb, so that the plug fits farther up on it. You can also crimp on individual "flag" terminals (in place of the headlight plug) and bend the prongs out at a 90 degree angle.
Charlie

Offline Bazil

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »
Hi Patrick;

your comment on the P43 / 45 base is timely. Bought a pair of car LED lamps, one for Gina ( mid 80's) and one for Lil Jeannie ( 1991). Lil Jeannies fits fine, but Gina has the older style P45 base. Found an adaptor for 3D printing on Thingyverse here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4275119 , but my son (the family  3D printer ) couldn't get it to print .

Found the link you provided but it was way to expensive for my taste ( Guzzi content). Found some in Romania of all places, cost about $ 1.50 AUD. postage about $ 7.50 and am going to order one if my son still cant get the 3D printed version to work

I'll keep you posted - obviously I'm not Robinson Crusoe here.

cheers

Bazil
1986 Lario ( long gone, still missed)
1985 Mark IV Lemans ( Gina)
1991 V40 Targa ( L'il Jeannie)
1962 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »
My friend John "jumpmaster" has a Grote LED sealed beam unit in his Eldo IIRC.

+1

The bulb Charlie cited fits well, but snugly, in my 73 Eldo headlight bucket.  I haven't checked lately to verify that there is no heat issue with all the wiring in there - better do that tomorrow while I'm thinking about it.

I tried the same sealed beam bulb, plus a different one, in my Tonti (Mille GT) and the headlight bucket was just too shallow for either to fit, or even for bulbs using the stock reflector.  There does appear to be enough space in that part of the triple tree area to fit a slightly deeper headlight bucket that MIGHT accept the sealed beam unit (no guarantees) if you have one laying around.  The stock bucket isn't too shallow by much, so a different one may work and still look close to stock.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
Well, all I can say is it fit with minor modification and is VERY BRIGHT compared to the incandescent.
The United Pacific 31496 sealed beam LED will fit in the SPII headlight bucket.
I discarded the now-redundant  original connector assembly inside the bucket to make room and punched a half inch hole at 3 o'clock to pass through the 4 wires from the LED headlamp. I also left the center plastic cup off the back of the bucket thinking that some holes in the back of the headlight bucket would help cooling the heatsink on the back of the LED sealed beam headlamp. It is a sealed unit so water should not hurt it and I water proofed the connector outside the headlight bucket. I wired the yellow and white halo light wires to the hi and low beam connections respectively so I have a yellow ring on hi and a white ring on low. The halo rings could have been wired to another switch or to the Euro parking lamp circuit.
 The only problem was that the PO had glued the old incandescent sealed beam to the inside of the headlight ring with a TON of RTV! It took longer to dig the old bulb out than it did to install the new one!

John

Convert Hangar Queen

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
I feel like I need to make a follow up to the installation of the LED headlamp. It has performed ok since installation, but is not as bright as it appeared for night driving. It is better than stock for long distance, but not as good for low beam flood. It is much better for daytime visibility to other drivers especially when the yellow halo is on.
 There was so much RTV residue from the previous owner's T3 sealed incandescent headlamp inside the chrome MG headlight ring (bezel?) that it formed a thick 'gasket', so-to-speak and held tight when assembled with the new led sealed beam unit. The original spring clips that hold the original headlight ring to lens were missing.
 Since riding it for a while it has started to shift around and I will need to go back in, probably using the original spring clips from another bike after cleaning out some more rtv from the headlight ring.
 Final summary:
The LED headlight unit described above will fit inside the stock bucket after the spade connector is removed from inside the bucket. A hole may be needed in the back of the bucket to pass the new wires through. Some modification may be needed to hold unit tightly in place against headlight ring.

edit: It has barely even felt warm to the touch on the back of the assembly after a 1 hour ride in 70 degree F ambient, so it doesn't seem like heat will be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:55:15 PM by ozarquebus »
John

Convert Hangar Queen

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here