Author Topic: Del'Orto Blues  (Read 985 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Del'Orto Blues
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:33:18 AM »
My 72 Eldorado loop has always been a good runner so earlier this week I was surprised to find it wouldn’t idle on both cylinders, the LH cylinder cuts off all together at idle. As soon as the throttle is opened it cuts back in, this makes it very noisy and unpleasant to ride.
According to the manual from Greg’s site it has VHB 29 CD on the right and VHB 29 CS on the left, they certainly look like the manual anyway. I cant swear as to the jet sizes  but have no reason to think they would be different from standard, they certainly performed well over the years.
Both carburators had a good amount of gunk in them after being off the road for a year but a quick clean seemed to bring it back to normal.
After running well for several weeks the left cylinder started popping and missing when cold now it just refuses to idle properly. I have checked all the jets several times, spark seems normal checking with a spare plug.
The left carburator is extremely tight on the manifold, even when the clamp is loosened right off, it is all I can do to twist it around to create clearance for dropping the float bowl, I’m wondering if this has caused some distortion somewhere.
One thing I found is the idling screw “C” has no effect on this side so I’m wondering if its something to do with that system, the jets all look clean but maybe there is something plugging a port somewhere.
The description of how this idle screw works is a bit skimpy, does anyone have a detailed diagram of these old carbs, the Del'Orto manual on Greg's site seems to refer to a more modern variety.
Is there any where I could purchase a refurbished pair of VHB 29s?
Thanks in advance for any help, I’m running out of ideas.

A link to the manual
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/riders_handbook_850.pdf
Page 37 to 45
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:39:58 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Del'Orto Blues
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:20 AM »
If you are using resistor plug caps check those. Common problem, low rpm = lower voltage to coil = lower voltage out of coil = no fire through resistor cap, higher rpm = higher voltage from coil passing through higher resistance of the plug cap. The fuel injected bikes display this very well because of the leaner mixture present in the chamber at idle. I learned to replace them regularly  on customer bikes, cheap fix for bad idle. Someone once said, "Carburetor problems frequently masquerade as ignition problems and ignition problems frequently masquerade as carburetor problems." I have frequently found this to be true. ymmv

Brian
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:51:13 AM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »
If you are using resistor plug caps check those. Common problem, low rpm = lower voltage to coil = lower voltage out of coil = no fire through resistor cap, higher rpm = higher voltage from coil passing through higher resistance of the plug cap. The fuel injected bikes display this very well because of the leaner mixture present in the chamber at idle. I learned to replace them regularly  on customer bikes, cheap fix for bad idle. Someone once said, "Carburetor problems frequently masquerade as ignition problems and ignition problems frequently masquerade as carburetor problems." I have frequently found this to be true. ymmv

Brian
Brian, funny you should mention that I just posted how i was unable to get the suggested plugs BP6ES, but had to settle for BPR6ES with resistors, yes I do have resistor caps also, copper leads though.
I will follow that line.
I have non resistor caps on order.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:16:24 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:52 AM »
I learned that it’s better to not use both resistor caps and resistor plugs. It’s one or the other but not both. I don’t recall the information source but maybe someone knows if that’s true. Resistance could get too high is the reason I suspect
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:57:28 AM »
My 72 Eldorado loop has always been a good runner so earlier this week I was surprised to find it wouldn’t idle on both cylinders, the LH cylinder cuts off all together at idle. As soon as the throttle is opened it cuts back in, this makes it very noisy and unpleasant to ride.
According to the manual from Greg’s site it has VHB 29 CD on the right and VHB 29 CS on the left, they certainly look like the manual anyway. I cant swear as to the jet sizes  but have no reason to think they would be different from standard, they certainly performed well over the years.
Both carburators had a good amount of gunk in them after being off the road for a year but a quick clean seemed to bring it back to normal.
After running well for several weeks the left cylinder started popping and missing when cold now it just refuses to idle properly. I have checked all the jets several times, spark seems normal checking with a spare plug.
The left carburator is extremely tight on the manifold, even when the clamp is loosened right off, it is all I can do to twist it around to create clearance for dropping the float bowl, I’m wondering if this has caused some distortion somewhere.
One thing I found is the idling screw “C” has no effect on this side so I’m wondering if its something to do with that system, the jets all look clean but maybe there is something plugging a port somewhere.
The description of how this idle screw works is a bit skimpy, does anyone have a detailed diagram of these old carbs, the Del'Orto manual on Greg's site seems to refer to a more modern variety.
Is there any where I could purchase a refurbished pair of VHB 29s?
Thanks in advance for any help, I’m running out of ideas.

A link to the manual
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/riders_handbook_850.pdf
Page 37 to 45

No mystery about how the idle mixture screw "C" works: turn it in to lean the mixture and out to make it richer.

A careful rebuild may be in order, paying particular attention to making sure all of the orifices are open.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_rebuild_-__vhb.html

I've had to resort to driving the carbs off of the manifolds with a section of wooden dowel and a hammer. Drive the front edge of the carb where it goes onto the manifold, not anywhere else or damage could result. Smear the plastic sleeve and manifold with anti-seize when installing.

I learned that it’s better to not use both resistor caps and resistor plugs. It’s one or the other but not both. I don’t recall the information source but maybe someone knows if that’s true. Resistance could get too high is the reason I suspect

This ^^^.
Charlie

jwinwi

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:53 AM »

The ubiquitous NGK black plastic caps are (5K ohm) resistor types, right? Where does one purchase non-resistor plug caps?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
No mystery about how the idle mixture screw "C" works: turn it in to lean the mixture and out to make it richer.

A careful rebuild may be in order, paying particular attention to making sure all of the orifices are open.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_rebuild_-__vhb.html

I've had to resort to driving the carbs off of the manifolds with a section of wooden dowel and a hammer. Drive the front edge of the carb where it goes onto the manifold, not anywhere else or damage could result. Smear the plastic sleeve and manifold with anti-seize when installing.

This ^^^.
Thank-you Charlie, thats exactly what I needed especially the rebuild information, I ordered the parts straight away and will look for a bigger hammer LOL

Roy
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Guzler

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »
The ubiquitous NGK black plastic caps are (5K ohm) resistor types, right? Where does one purchase non-resistor plug caps?
From NGK of course. I have a set of each, depending on which plug is handy.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 11:17:15 AM »
NGK cap codes:

Ebay has the 1k and I think Amazon. Usually more expensive then the 5K.

The EVT at least breaks the rule of resistor plug OR cap, not both. Manual calls for both to BE resistor.

I had a VHB30 that the pilot jet passageway was clogged. Same type symptoms. I used a jet cleaning wire/welding tip cleaner to gently work through the passageway.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:20:02 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline leroy_can

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:26 AM »
 Sounds as if some little gremlin is in that idle circuit. My LMIV suddenly developed that symptom on a trip years ago and all I did was remove the screw completely and fire it up letting it spit and hack for a few moments then put the screw back to it's original setting. If the carb to manifold you mention is metal to metal as I suspect I would use fine lapping compound #320 to 400 grit to improve the fit. The same Clover brand sold for valve lapping is available in a variety of very fine grades. I used to get it from Acklands/Granger. 320 is my overall favorite not course enough to be gritty but still works fairly fast and is ideal for that sort of situation just taking down the high points.
1973 XLCH cafe Shovester #1
1973 XLCH cafe Shovester #2
1971 Homemade cafe '08 XB12S motor 71 CH frame
2002 Buell M2 Cyclone
1987 LMIV SE 1400 conversion in progress

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
Roy,  If you back out the idle mixture screw, shoot some carb cleaner in & make sure it comes out the jet AND the carb throat. Use some compressed air. Reinstall to where you had it or thereabouts, 2-2 3/4 turns out. Should not be 3 turns or more.
You can still get straight plug caps w/wires all in one, most auto supplies have a rack of different lengths. All made up, much better crimps than making your own.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:32:08 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

jwinwi

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
NGK cap codes:

Ebay has the 1k and I think Amazon. Usually more expensive then the 5K.

The EVT at least breaks the rule of resistor plug OR cap, not both. Manual calls for both to BE resistor.

I had a VHB30 that the pilot jet passageway was clogged. Same type symptoms. I used a jet cleaning wire/welding tip cleaner to gently work through the passageway.

Tom

Thank you Tom!

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 12:56:30 PM »
Kiwi_Roy...

Is your scoot equipped with a radio ?
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »
Once again the calm voice of experience saved the day
I viewed the file Charlie attached which allowed me to prove the passageways.
I never actually found one plugged but I must have blasted something out because the bike is back to it's old sweet tempered self.
I followed your instructions on lubing the clamp and it's much improved.
Thanks again Charlie, my Wife says thank-you as well, I am safe to live with again.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »
Once again the calm voice of experience saved the day
I viewed the file Charlie attached which allowed me to prove the passageways.
I never actually found one plugged but I must have blasted something out because the bike is back to it's old sweet tempered self.
I followed your instructions on lubing the clamp and it's much improved.
Thanks again Charlie, my Wife says thank-you as well, I am safe to live with again.

You're welcome, happy to help.  :thumb:
Charlie

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 05:24:50 AM »
It’s always the soon to be ex-husband, and almost always a clogged idle jet. Tiny orifice, crappy gas and the bike has usually been sitting about three times as long as an owner claims. I used to ask sellers how long.  Now I just sniff the tank.  God I love the smell of gasoline.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here