Author Topic: V7 Fuel filter change  (Read 3941 times)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
Re: V7 Fuel filter change
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:51 PM »
Only 2 clamps. If they’re Oetiker the size is 11.3
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:36:25 PM by slowmover »

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
Only 2 clamps. If they’re oetiker the size is 11.3

Is it 11.3mm closed and 13.8mm open or 11.3mm open and 9.7mm closed?  I'm seeing two Oeticker clamps that are showing an 11.3 mm size depending on if it's the open position or closed position.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 05:59:01 AM »
We have an excellent tutorial on how to do the valve adjustment on the V7III here, what about one to do the fuel filter change?

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »
11.3 open 9.7 closed. There’s a tool to close them up but I used a pair of nippers. You probably could use side cutters with caution.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:11:55 AM by slowmover »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 10:10:08 AM »
11.3 open 9.7 closed. There’s a tool to close them up but I used a pair of nippers. You probably could use side cutters with caution.

Oh, that changes everything.  I'm having a heck of a time finding 11.3 CLOSED locally. 

If it's the 11.3 open and 9.7 closed, they are available locally for 60 cents each.

I was just going to ask if these ones would work as they are 11.1 closed, but sounds like these would have been way too big:

https://shop.wurth.ca/fittings-hoses-tubing/hose-clamps-pipe-clamps-assortments/hose-clamps/fuel-line-clips/CLAMP-1EAR-A2-B8.2-D13.8-(11.1-13.1)/541.138/

On edit, the ones you posted in your amazon link that you ordered are 11.3 closed and 13.8mm open.  Did you receive these yet and did they work or did you get the wrong ones?

Thanks
James
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:12:53 AM by mr_pacman »

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2021, 11:57:29 AM »
Yes  I did get them and they were too big as they closed to 11.3. I had to re-order and wait another 5 days.I’ll delete that post.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »
Yes  I did get them and they were too big as they closed to 11.3. I had to re-order and wait another 5 days.I’ll delete that post.

Perfect. The 11.3 Open (9.6 closed) Oeticker clamps are available locally for 60 cents each vs the 11.3 CLOSED that required me to buy in lots of 200 for $140 bucks.

Thanks again for the help.

If you could please update this thread once you get them and confirm the part number (I'm guessing its going to be 16700007) and that they work that will be great.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
Another question, which filter is recommended to replace the half plastic one?  I am going to order two

Online guzzi771

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 09:27:34 PM »
Another question, which filter is recommended to replace the half plastic one?  I am going to order two
                                             MAHLE KL145  af1 racing got them

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2021, 09:43:49 PM »
Thank you sir!  Love AF :weiner:1!

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
You’ve got to do a search on here as there’s been a lot discussion over the years. There is much helpful info on the process and even a video or two.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »
Got the clamps today. They say " 11.3 OET" imprinted on the side. Part 16700007. (9.6 closed, 11.3 open).

Doing the filter on Friday so I'll report back to confirm they are , hopefully,  the correct ones.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »
I pulled mine out of the v9 today.  6000 miles, didn't look good.

When new the kl 150 filter is not orange, and certainly is ot bulbus!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
I pulled mine out of the v9 today.  6000 miles, didn't look good.

When new the kl 150 filter is not orange, and certainly is ot bulbus!
So how hard was it to pull apart?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »
I didn't try to pull it apart.  I gave it a tug, and it didn't feel like it was about to come off.  It is fairly soft, although I have no idea how stiff the plastic is when new, but my guess is it has softend.   I suppose it might stay as is for many years, but it certainly has deformed over the course of one years use.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »
I didn't try to pull it apart.  I gave it a tug, and it didn't feel like it was about to come off.  It is fairly soft, although I have no idea how stiff the plastic is when new, but my guess is it has softend.   I suppose it might stay as is for many years, but it certainly has deformed over the course of one years use.

No argument.

Just pointing out that swelling alone means nothing.

And this is another example where we have no proof it would have failed.

The one I tested to 120+ psi looked like that.

I'm perfectly willing to be proved wrong. But we just don't have the data.

So I get why people might choose to be on the safe side since there are some failures.

But I'm here to support the ones who decide it's not a forgone conclusion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:42:32 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »

I disagree with some of your conclusions.   Your contention that,  "swelling alone means nothing", is almost certainly false.  Swelling to this degree clearly indicates a problem, how often that problem erupts in failure becomes the question.   For what it's worth, Todd has said on his forum at GTM, and I'm paraphrasing, "All metal/plastic filters WILL fail sooner or later"   

We don't have proof this filter would fail, but we do have evidence to show that the likely hood of failure has increased with the bulbus nature of the softened plastic case.   When it comes down to it, we never have PROOF of failure, until actual failure.   If this were a tire, that displayed similar attributes, would you trust it?

But, you understand why riders, "Might choose to be on the safe side since there are some failures."
I imagine the riders who "decide it's not a forgone conclusion", will find comfort knowing you're there for them!  :wink:

Remember NASA's Space Shuttle, it worked most of the time too.  There was no proof it would fail, I mean look at the dozens upon dozens of successful missions...   Overly dramatic, yes, but I feel my position has more merit then yours.

2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2021, 07:55:22 PM »
I disagree with some of your conclusions.   Your contention that,  "swelling alone means nothing", is almost certainly false.  Swelling to this degree clearly indicates a problem, how often that problem erupts in failure becomes the question.   For what it's worth, Todd has said on his forum at GTM, and I'm paraphrasing, "All metal/plastic filters WILL fail sooner or later"   

We don't have proof this filter would fail, but we do have evidence to show that the likely hood of failure has increased with the bulbus nature of the softened plastic case.   When it comes down to it, we never have PROOF of failure, until actual failure.   If this were a tire, that displayed similar attributes, would you trust it?

But, you understand why riders, "Might choose to be on the safe side since there are some failures."
I imagine the riders who "decide it's not a forgone conclusion", will find comfort knowing you're there for them!  :wink:

Remember NASA's Space Shuttle, it worked most of the time too.  There was no proof it would fail, I mean look at the dozens upon dozens of successful missions...   Overly dramatic, yes, but I feel my position has more merit then yours.

And you're making assumptions. You're assuming swelling means it must eventually fail and that's not scientifically sound.

We don't know that from the facts. It's a huge assumption that some deformation must equal enough to fail. Kinda like all those plastic fuel tanks that swelled but how many ever leaked?

Every person who pulls one and says "it looks swollen" isn't providing any evidence that failure was imminent.

I know it's popular to make assumptions when supposedly connecting the dots, but that's not how science works.

If more people tried to pull those filters apart, or pressure tested them, then we'd be closer to knowing.

I guess if we took a whole bunch and soaked them in fuel (E10 and not) and tested them all we'd be closer.

I don't have a problem being wrong in the end.

But until there's more evidence in not willing to call it fact.

Those who agree are free to do as they want.

Those who disagree are free to pull the tanks and replace them.

It's all good. I'm just a voice pointing out it's not settled and why.

All good.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »
I got the intuitive impression that yeah it deformed and changed color but it would have lasted a long time and I probably could have let it be.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2021, 11:27:08 AM »
Here is my filter from last night's fuel filter swap.

BIke is a 2014 with 2,100 KM's on it (1,304 miles).

I was expecting the plastic to be more orange in color based on other pictures I've seen online.  The plastic appears to be a bit swollen and was a bit "squishy" but I'm not sure how these were when they were new so I'm not sure if is normal or not.   I tried to pull the plastic apart from the metal portion but couldn't with my hands.

I had no way to pressure test it.

I can also confirm that for the Oetiker clamps, the correct Oetiker part number is 16700007 which is 11.3 OPEN and 9.6 CLOSED.  The clamps say 11.3 on the side of them.

Now if I can only figure out how much engine oil I'm supposed to use. Manual indicates 2L. I put in 1.7 and it's at the "full mark" on the dipstick (not screwed in, just dipped) with the engine oil cold and sitting upright on a wheel chock. I'm tempted to put more in, but might run it and see what happens. I've read stories that going over can get the airbox full of oil.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
How does a 2014 only have 1300 miles on it?

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2021, 12:00:35 PM »
How does a 2014 only have 1300 miles on it?

Don't blame me, I just bought the bike last November from the original owner who had 5 other bikes, 4 kids and a business he was running. I wanted a stone or special, but this racer popped up locally, great price, low mileage so bought it as I wasn't sure when a nice stone or special would pop up for sale for a similar price.

I've already put 150km on it the past few weeks since the snow melted.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
Kev said, "And you're making assumptions. You're assuming swelling means it must eventually fail and that's not scientifically sound."

I never made any such assumptions.    I specifically said, there is no proof of imminent failure, until such a failure happens.  I did say the fact that most filters swell indicates a problem.   I do not assume all filters will eventually fail, however I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is indeed the case.

I'm not a fan boy of Todds, but I strongly suspect his claim that they are ticking time bombs is correct.   I hope you don't get around to changing the filter on your v7III, that way you will be able to give us some actuall evidence of failure, if and when it happens to you.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2021, 03:22:02 PM »
Here is my filter from last night's fuel filter swap.

BIke is a 2014 with 2,100 KM's on it (1,304 miles).

I was expecting the plastic to be more orange in color based on other pictures I've seen online.  The plastic appears to be a bit swollen and was a bit "squishy" but I'm not sure how these were when they were new so I'm not sure if is normal or not.   I tried to pull the plastic apart from the metal portion but couldn't with my hands.

I had no way to pressure test it.

I can also confirm that for the Oetiker clamps, the correct Oetiker part number is 16700007 which is 11.3 OPEN and 9.6 CLOSED.  The clamps say 11.3 on the side of them.

Now if I can only figure out how much engine oil I'm supposed to use. Manual indicates 2L. I put in 1.7 and it's at the "full mark" on the dipstick (not screwed in, just dipped) with the engine oil cold and sitting upright on a wheel chock. I'm tempted to put more in, but might run it and see what happens. I've read stories that going over can get the airbox full of oil.

I wouldn’t add any more than 1.7 l of oil, it will just end up in the air box.  Even with my 1 liter sump extender, no more than 2.5 liters ever went in. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
Kev said, "And you're making assumptions. You're assuming swelling means it must eventually fail and that's not scientifically sound."

I never made any such assumptions.    I specifically said, there is no proof of imminent failure, until such a failure happens.  I did say the fact that most filters swell indicates a problem.   I do not assume all filters will eventually fail, however I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is indeed the case.

I'm not a fan boy of Todds, but I strongly suspect his claim that they are ticking time bombs is correct.   I hope you don't get around to changing the filter on your v7III, that way you will be able to give us some actuall evidence of failure, if and when it happens to you.

Not trying to give you grief for grief's sake but you're talking out both sides of your face right now.

You say that you do not assume all filters will eventually fail in one sentence, but you just as quickly say the swelling indicates a problem? What possible problem could there be other than failure?!?

Then you say that you strongly suspect all filters are ticking bombs? Well for what bomb do they represent if you don't assume they will all eventually fail?

Anyway, I'll get back to you in a few more years.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:42:24 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
I know this will not end this for you.   Yes, I do claim,  I don't know if all filters will fail.   I suspect they will, but I don't know they will.

Swelling CLEARLY does indicate a issue/problem, whether that issue will turn into failure is unknown.    The problem we are referring too, has a correlation with failure, if you won't recognize this, then there is nothing more I can do to help you see the forest among the trees.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
Mine was very yellow, very swollen and very soft. I wasn’t worth it to me to leave it in even though there don’t appear to be many outright failures. The slight possibility that it may fail and leave me stranded somewhere isn’t worth trusting a statistic. By the way if anyone can’t find the metric clamps I used 3/8” clamps from the plumbing section of Lowe’s. They look a little big but crimped down just fine.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2021, 08:05:51 PM »
Since only a small percentage of Guzzi owners post on wild Guzzi and an even smaller percentage do their own maintenance I doubt we will ever know how many fail.
Kevin did a reasonable test, pressurized his to over 4 x normal working pressure and it didn't fail.
At the same time a lot of owners don't subject their Guzzis to Ethanol.
I decided to err on the safe side and change mine only to find my bike manufactured in 2017 has an all metal filter so I have a spare I will make available to anyone in the Vancouver area if you have a failure.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2021, 09:40:19 PM »
There seems there is no evidence ethanol plays any part in all of this, perhaps it does, but we have no meaningful evidence for such.  We do have reports that the stock filter was not designed to be used with gasoline. 
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here