Author Topic: V7 850 vs V85 TT  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Meloman

• New Egg
V7 850 vs V85 TT
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:14:31 PM »
Has anyone ridden both the new V7 850 and the V85 TT and can compare the two bikes in terms of performance, handling and comfort.
This would be for street riding only. I have another bike for off-road but am contemplating buying my first Moto Guzzi. I have owned just about every major brand and have been riding for 60 years. I test rode a Griso, many years ago but it did speak to me. The new MG’s have improved on every level and are now on my radar.
My biggest concern is vibration. I know all Guzzi’s are said to have some sort of vibe but is it the type that puts your hands and feet to sleep after extended riding ? My riding is back roads and canyons in southern Oregon and a daily ride ranges from 50 to 150 miles.

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
Re: V7 850 vs V85 TT
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 05:45:52 AM »
Drove both for a short test drive, backroads and highway. I recently traded in my V7iii for a 20' V85tt. To me both 21' models have improved torque down low. The clutch and the suspension are improved on the V7 as well as the seat comfort (if you are likely less than 6').

To me the differences from previous generation still stand. The V7 is a fun around town bike. One long road trip on mine is what convinced me to move to the V85. The V85tt is better on the highway, less vibey, influenced less by wind conditions, better suspension, better low speed balance, has cruise control and is more comfortable for the long haul. It feels much bigger than the V7 but handles great just different.

The only knocks against the V85 in my short experience: You feel more heat than on the V7 (even with the y pipe), the lighting switches are poorly placed. It can be a little vibey but depends on the rev range and should improve as the bike breaks in. It's not so much that you can use the mirrors and is far less than what I had on my V7iii.
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:24:50 AM »
i test rode the v7 and was very impressed.  there were many improvements over the prior model, power of course but the suspension, seat and feel of the controls were much better.  the power and torque were much improved as any 20% bump in HP would be.  i have 15,000 miles on one of the first V85's sold at Cadre.  i have taken a number of trips in spite of -.  the v85 is superior in many ways, some by a lot and others by a little. the supplied ammo can luggage is incredible.
I echo much of what aproud1 said.  if you are coming from a twin, what vibration there is is very minimal and only at certain rpm ranges but even in those ranges does not cause me any difficulty.  if you are coming from a 4cyl, hard to say.  at 29 inch inseam, the seat height puts me up slightly on my feet at dead stops and at 62 years, because the bike is light, i have not had any trouble working with it.  but, if my riding did not include trips, i would go with the V7 for anything up to 300 mile day trips. 
the v85 can be very sporty if you feel like it, with leverage from the wide bar, tons of ground clearance, a very good frame and the torquey motor, you can power your way through twisty roads all day long with very low effort from the rider.  i am pretty sure that the v7 could not approach this level even though i did not really test that ability on the test ride (not my bike you know).  on a fairly technical road you can choose either 3rd, 4th or 5th gear depending on the amount of excitement you are up for.  4th will easily give you from as low as 20 mph (will do but not happily) to 75 mph without having to shift.
finally, i can't say enough good about the magic button (cruise control).  for me taking trips, it is indispensable. 
you could buy a v7 and make it very nice for the difference in price with cases, windscreen and other accessories, but the v85 comes with all of those things executed in a way that only the factory could do it.
you pay your money and you take your chance.  neither is a bad bet.
Blue Guzz

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 07:39:19 AM »
If you can't get a test ride on each, then go check out a BMW or a Harley.  They not only allow, but encourage test rides. 

The rest of us are going to have opinions based on our personal biases and past experiences.  I'm a thumper and twin guy but have owned two triples and 3 inline 4 cylinder bikes.  I prefer torque down low.

I will say that one advantage of the V7 over the V85TT is that you can transform the bike to fit your mood whereas the V85TT is what it is.

My V7III started life as a V7III Carbon standard sitting (almost UJM). 

Today it is set up as a café with rear sets, cafe seat, clubman bars, small fairing, shorty exhaust.

Another guy on here (MMRanch) has his V7II set up for full touring with large windscreen, hard saddlebags, tour pack, corbin king/queen seat.

So, I guess you have to decide what is important to you. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 07:51:48 AM »
Forget about vibration. There is far less on a V85 than on most other bikes and it's a "non-bothering" kind.
If you want really good sushpension, bags and a wind screen by the time you add those to the V7 the price is up to the V85. If you tend to do mostly 250 mile days and more it's the V85 for you.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
The decision was made for me . Being vertically challenged the V7 850 was a no brainer. Now waiting for accessories, hard bags , Ctr. Stand etc.

elvisboy77

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
The decision was made for me . Being vertically challenged the V7 850 was a no brainer. Now waiting for accessories, hard bags , Ctr. Stand etc.

Congrats!

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 03:03:40 PM »
Good call - hope the bike is everything you hope it to be. If I were in your position I'd probably have done the same.

I went with a V85TT for the plusher suspension for the rough and occasional dirt roads I ride in northern NJ. Coming off a V7 III it's a great upgrade even it I can't quite flat foot at a stop.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 03:11:09 PM »

Awesome! Enjoy the bike. I suffer the opposite issue. Tall and round.
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Offline fastlaners

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 08:53:22 PM »

Hello; I’m returning to riding after 35 years off and being 69 years old now; I also recently purchased a 2021 V7 850 Special and a 2022 V85TT; I enjoy riding them both the V7 is a little more sporty and nimble; where is the V85 is more planted and stable; Being on the shorter side 5’8 29 inch inseam; The V7 was more manageable; I had the dealer install a 1 inch suspension lowering kit and remove the rubber bumpers under the seat to bring the seat height down a bit on the V85; but it is still a bigger heavier bike to get used to; but once on the road it handles well and feels light; unfortunately I came to a stop and turning right; I dropped it and being a bit top heavy especially with a full tank and being a old man I couldn’t save it; sadly the SW Motech crashbars didn’t work well enough to prevent scratching my beautiful silver Centinario tank; I may switch to Givi crashbars as they offer more protection even though they don’t look as good and hide those nice cylinders! John

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 10:47:54 PM »
My biggest concern is vibration. I know all Guzzi’s are said to have some sort of vibe but is it the type that puts your hands and feet to sleep after extended riding ?
On both my V85 and certainly my Norge, I can see the stitching in my jacket in the mirrors.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here