Author Topic: Interesting Starter Problem  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Interesting Starter Problem
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
I was asked to have a look at a loop with starter issues, the owner had told me previously the starter had engaged and remained cranking until he was able to disconnect the battery. I thought he must have screwed up the wiring somehow.

When I got to his place I found a very new looking Bosch. Sure enough when he pressed the start it cranked over and just kept on cranking until the battery was disconnected.

I pulled off the trigger wire and tried just hot wiring the solenoid, same thing again it would latch on even though there was no wire to the solenoid apart from the main battery connection.
I tried shorting the trigger terminal to chassis, just a weak spark and it remained cranking.
We pulled apart the solenoid, the contacts were in very good shape, lots of tension on the spring and everything looked normal. I didn't have time to do a drop test on the windings but my Fluke indicated that they are in the ballpark.
I sketched out the double coil arrangement and it's obvious that there is a path from the load side of the solenoid back through the heavy coil then through the light coil to chassis in other words the solenoid remains energized.

Searching for clues on the www I came across this from Vensel Enterprises
http://www.venselenterprises.com/techtipsfromdick_files/solenoidrebuildingarticle.pdf
It gives a very good description of how the solenoid works.
The key paragraph for me was the last one on page 1
“The coils must be balanced so that one does not overpower the other and cause the plunger to hang up and keep the drive engaged.”
I think on this unit a few of the coil turns may have become shorted putting it “Out of Balance”

I'm not discounting the starter hanging up in some other fashion but it drops out as soon as the power is removed.

Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:27:53 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Interesting Starter Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
Does the starter do it on the bench?  It could be that the ring gear is notched.  Why is the starter being replaced?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
Does the starter do it on the bench?  It could be that the ring gear is notched.  Why is the starter being replaced?
Never had a chance to try that, good thought.
No real reason for replacement, he just had a better looking starter on hand.
I will be checking out the original.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:06:33 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
I had a Bosch starter rebuilt by a local shop and it did the same thing. Worked fine on the bench, stayed engaged when on the bike. Wasn't interference with the ring gear or anything else causing it to hang up. Just a defective (new) solenoid). They replaced it with another of the same and it's been fine since.

They'll do the same thing it you install the solenoid 180 degrees off. Numbers stamped into the solenoid body should face out, not towards the starter motor.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
Thanks Charlie,
                       It didn't always do it but now every time, I suspect there may be a short in a few turns putting it out of balance.
I will post a sketch later. Orientation is correct.

The dot by the coil indicates the magnetic polarity assuming the current is in the same direction.
The Valeo solenoids are similar.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:56:15 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

crc

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
ive had it happen before, I always thort it was the contacts in the starter arcing and fusing themselves together

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 01:15:11 AM »
ive had it happen before, I always thort it was the contacts in the starter arcing and fusing themselves together

That may happen also but not in this case, the contacts are pristine.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:25:58 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to make and post the sketches, Roy.  I was not aware the reverse current upon button release before.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
  I was not aware the reverse current upon button release before.

Yea, IF everything is balanced, you get half the current, and one half is reversed field, so it SHOULD kick off.

But if the coils were mis-wired on this new starter, or even if the spring is a bit weak, it may stay on.

I've also wondered if the solenoid slug itself should or should not be magnetized a certain way.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
I'd think the slug would become permanently magnetized to some extent from the high flux of the pull-in coil, and this would work to help release it at the right time.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here