Author Topic: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!  (Read 62508 times)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Horrors in My Bellhousing!!
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
Charlie, yes, interesting is one way to describe it...

Wayne, yep, common sense to just replace the housing.  Truly a no-brainer.

Chuck, your description is bang-on.  That's exactly what it looks like.

Thanks again, all.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
Right Shaun, I've dug up the 'Gearbox opening tool' as it is somewhat mysteriously called! It's not cheap, even in the U.S. It's a $180 tool, along with the other tools there's the best part of a grand in 'special stuff' so please take care of it. I won't bother sending it by courier as the last bag was gauranteed to get to you in two days and hasn't, as you say it's probably languishing in customs, bastards.that cost me over a hundred beer tokens!

Also you'll have to order in the 'Clutch Box' and the other crap needed which I'll do my best to make a list of what I think you'll need. The tool is in a variety of bits but it's fairly self explanatory. I do suggest you download the manual before you dive in though.

I haven't done an 8V box as they are pretty much unbreakable, I have taken apart a B11 box though and apart from the face cam shock absorber they are essentially the same. If you can be bothered I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would appreciate some pics of it coming apart and going back together.

Pete

Hi, Pete.

Will definitely take care of the tools, and really appreciate your lending them to me!  No point in sending them by any speedy means.  I have to wait for the parts to arrive anyway.  I will get everything back to you as quick as I can, and will be making a donation to Medicines Sans Frontiers as you had suggested.  Very generous of you to share in this way.

Not sure how I feel about going through a gearbox that even you haven't seen the inside of yet.   :undecided:  I'm sure I can figure it out, though.  Looking at the parts manual, it looks almost like I can lay the gearbox on its back end, lift the "clutch drum" (bellhousing) straight up, put the new one on, and have it all back together.  Somehow, I doubt that it's that easy, though.   :grin: I'll spend some time reviewing the workshop manual before everything arrives.

Regardless, I would be happy to take some pictures along the way, and will post them here.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
The one I had apart I had spread from arsehole to breakfast. I have a feeling that if you only use the front puller as you suggest you'll be able to yank the 'Clutch Case' or whatever they call it and leave the entire rest of the box in the main gearbox case.

If that proves to be correct it'll be a piece of piss. There are a load of 6mm, 8mm head, bolts that hold the cases together that come in from both the bell housing and from the 'Outside' then you can use the front tool which presses on the input shaft to drag the case off the shaft. Then either swap out the bearings or install new ones, new seal and press it back together with threebond between the cases, there is no gasket so DON'T PRY BETWEEN THE MATING SURFACES,

Pete

Vasco DG

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2015, 01:17:43 AM »
Interestingly the 'Gearbox Opening Tool' is not listed in the 1200 engine parts list either for the Stelvio or the Griso, (I haven't checked other models.) but it's the same tool AFAIK.

Anyway, you can see it listed in the 1100 Griso parts list here, it's part #3

If you look at the same parts list for the 1200's it is conspicuously missing!

Nor is it in any of the other 'Special Tools' lists. For the 8V's! Gotta love 'em, they're a bit 'Special!' themselves.......

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2015, 01:17:43 AM »

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2015, 01:58:48 AM »
This is getting interesting  :bow:
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Vasco DG

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2015, 02:35:21 AM »
Yup! And it's the only way any of us will learn is by going in and hacking it.

That's why I admire what Shaun is doing. Yes his bike was just out of warranty, no it shouldn't of happened, but you know what? It did! So did he come here screaming 'Lawyer Up B*tches! I'm gunna sue somebody! Anybody!'. He just rolled in his shoulders and has got on with it! And if we're lucky we'll all learn some stuff! :thumb:

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »
Interestingly the 'Gearbox Opening Tool' is not listed in the 1200 engine parts list either for the Stelvio or the Griso, (I haven't checked other models.) but it's the same tool AFAIK.

Anyway, you can see it listed in the 1100 Griso parts list here, it's part #3

If you look at the same parts list for the 1200's it is conspicuously missing!

Nor is it in any of the other 'Special Tools' lists. For the 8V's! Gotta love 'em, they're a bit 'Special!' themselves.......

Pete

Interesting.  Maybe the gearbox is so reliable that they don't bother mentioning the tool anymore!  :laugh:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2015, 06:01:54 AM »
The one I had apart I had spread from arsehole to breakfast. I have a feeling that if you only use the front puller as you suggest you'll be able to yank the 'Clutch Case' or whatever they call it and leave the entire rest of the box in the main gearbox case.

If that proves to be correct it'll be a piece of piss. There are a load of 6mm, 8mm head, bolts that hold the cases together that come in from both the bell housing and from the 'Outside' then you can use the front tool which presses on the input shaft to drag the case off the shaft. Then either swap out the bearings or install new ones, new seal and press it back together with threebond between the cases, there is no gasket so DON'T PRY BETWEEN THE MATING SURFACES,

Pete

Thanks, Pete.  Hopefully, it will be just that simple!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:09 AM »
Yup! And it's the only way any of us will learn is by going in and hacking it.

That's why I admire what Shaun is doing. Yes his bike was just out of warranty, no it shouldn't of happened, but you know what? It did! So did he come here screaming 'Lawyer Up B*tches! I'm gunna sue somebody! Anybody!'. He just rolled in his shoulders and has got on with it! And if we're lucky we'll all learn some stuff! :thumb:

Pete

I see it more as a collaborative effort.  With the incredible support of the folks here, I feel pretty confident that I can't get through it in one piece.  Here's hoping!   :boozing:

Edit:  special thanks again to Pete, for both the advice given, and for the tools loaned.  Nothing would happen without these!

Shaun
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:28:10 AM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:49 AM »
I see it more as a collaborative effort.  With the incredible support of the folks here, I feel pretty confident that I can't get through it in one piece.  Here's hoping!   :boozing:

Edit:  special thanks again to Pete, for both the advice given, and for the tools loaned.  Nothing would happen without these!

Shaun

the clutch push rod length measuring tools and the clutch push rods probably have my finger prints, sweat and hairs on them  :cool:
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

SteveAZ

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
 :thumb: :popcorn:

I will NEVER whine, whinge or bitch about crabbing my Tonti framed rides again.

Wow. Well done and amazing so far.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
the clutch push rod length measuring tools and the clutch push rods probably have my finger prints, sweat and hairs on them  :cool:

Wow, these things get around!!  :grin:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
:thumb: :popcorn:

I will NEVER whine, whinge or bitch about crabbing my Tonti framed rides again.

Wow. Well done and amazing so far.

Crabbing!  I remember crabbing (said with a tear in the eye).  Good days, those...  :grin:

I'll tell you, I was pretty close to crabbing the frame with a sawzalll!  :boozing:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
There was some choice language when Ian and I were putting the Stelvio engine back in the frame. That breather plate is an absolute cow!

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
When you guys finally see the light and move up to a small block  :evil: :boozing: you'll wonder why you spent so much time working on those suckers.
Small blocks are easy.  :wink:
Slow, but easy..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Slow sounds like a pretty good trade-off, right now!  :grin:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
Slow sounds like a pretty good trade-off, right now!  :grin:

Shaun

Seriously, I feel your pain..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »
Thanks, Chuck.  While this is certainly challenging, it's also a really good way to get to know the bike  After this I really shouldn't be intimidated by any repair that I might need to conduct!  I guess I can look at that as a positive?  :cool:

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
When you guys finally see the light and move up to a small block  :evil: :boozing: you'll wonder why you spent so much time working on those suckers.
Small blocks are easy.  :wink:
Slow, but easy..

This applies to Loops as well...  :wink:
Charlie

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »

Being that I just came off a u-joint change on my Eldo, I can sort-of agree.  It sure is interesting to see the commonalities on bikes separated by nearly 40 years!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Vasco DG

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

You'd be surprised Charlie, a Griso or Breva/Sport is much easier. I'd have to say I'd rather pull the lump out of a Griso than a Loop. Stelvio a are just a right so-and-so to get out and the Norge is OK apart from all the plastic!

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »
Funny, one of my thoughts when considering my recent move from Norge to Stelvio is that the Stelvio just had to be easier to work on, right?   :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

canuguzzi

« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2015, 09:52:52 PM »
How many miles were on the bike?

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »
Funny, one of my thoughts when considering my recent move from Norge to Stelvio is that the Stelvio just had to be easier to work on, right?   :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Shaun

ROFLMAO  yep, sometimes logic will get you!
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Vasco DG

« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2015, 12:45:50 AM »
How many miles were on the bike?

Not very many and not nearly enough but the bike is, as Shaun stated, out of warranty. Now I know there are people who seem to believe that a warranty should, essentially, be eternal but the simple fact is there does have to be a cut-off point and this machine was outside it.

Shaun has done exactly what I think is right. No pissing and moaning! Just hook in and fix it. If anything is going to piss me off its people moaning that 'The Factory' or 'The Dealer' should look after it. It's out of bloody warranty! Suck it up!

Pete

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2015, 03:55:22 AM »
Yep, I'd rather do it myself anyway,especially with the warranty out. When I bought a new bike I did my own warranty work, sometimes I would ask for a part to be paid for but the labor was mine. My question of the day : is there a heavy duty version of the clutch assembly ? Are there different versions?  The reason I ask this is because on the older stuff I was able to cure my clutch troubles by going to a ten spring clutch. Shaun thanks for posting the pictures, it's new territory for me. :popcorn:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Vasco DG

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2015, 04:45:12 AM »
Several part number supercesions for the clutch. Only a short run in 2012 seem to have this problem.

Latest 'Universal' clutch for 8V's is the unit from the Cali 14 which has a much nicer diaphragm than the earlier units and seems bulletproof.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:31 AM »
Shaun has done exactly what I think is right. No pissing and moaning! Just hook in and fix it. If anything is going to piss me off its people moaning that 'The Factory' or 'The Dealer' should look after it. It's out of bloody warranty! Suck it up!

I'm well impressed with Shaun's pragmatic attitude. It's just a machine and machine's break. No shrieking meltdown here like I've seen in some threads on this forum.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Yeah Sean,
Well done so far. Great attitude against all odds and humility to go with it.
Hope the rest goes well for you, difficult job, but with the good guys rooting for yer it will work out.
I know what you mean about photos once it's fixed. I get a bit superstitious like that too if it's a first time.
Looking forward to the conclusion of this thread and your final happiness.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
Thanks, folks.  I'll do my best to get it back together and operational again, documenting things as I go, with the intent of helping others in future.  Truly, if I can make it through this with the help of the group, anyone can.  It might take a bit of time to get it finished, as I am waiting for parts, and have some upcomg travel, but I will be sure to capture the outcome here.

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:06:55 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here