Author Topic: COLD HANDS!  (Read 8893 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
COLD HANDS!
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
How do you guys in the really cold areas of America keep your hands from freezing? I rode the other day at 21 degrees and gloves with thinlate and liners, still my finger tips were to cold for comfort.
Suggestions welcomed:)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: COLD HANDS!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Heated gloves? "Hipohands"?
Charlie

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:20:55 PM »

Heated grips of course.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
Convert it to celcius, it's only -6c so seems a lot warmer.  Wear snowmobile gloves.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
Heated gloves? "Hipohands"?

Yes..."heated grips / heated gloves" are the way to go for sure! :wink: :cool: :1: :thumb:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

twowings

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »
Heated GLOVES are the only way to go.

I've used grips and they are more convenient but cannot keep up with sub-freezing temps very long for me.

I've used shields, covers, etc. and they help, but not enough.

I imagine I could probably go some distance with a combination of heated grips and hippo-hand style covers, but I can't stand the look of them so I doubt I'll ever bother.

What I REALLY want is a lithium battery pack rechargeable electric glove... and to move to AZ.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »
There are a number of solutions. I keep a pair of Aerostich Triple Digit glove rain covers in my saddlebags. They bring the temperature I can tolerate down 7 or 8 degrees. I use handguards on my 4-wheeler for hunting season and they work pretty well. However, they might interfere with the look you seek. National Cycle makes a clear version that might work. Versions of the Hippo Hands are available that keep you toasty while wearing your favorite riding gloves underneath. The originals are excellent, but more affordable clones are out there...

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html
http://www.nationalcycle.com/hand-deflectors-hd.html
https://www.hippohands.com/products/rogue
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:11 PM »
I too have considered Hippo Hands and similar, but they are ugly as F^@#!   I tried the Dainese Anemos Windstopper Gloves and found they stop wind about a well as my fingerless mesh gloves.  I tried adding a pair of FREEZE-OUT liners, which didn't help, so I now use a basic pair of leather gloves with the liners.  This combination seems to work in our warmer climes, but I wouldn't think of using them below 40F.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

elvisboy77

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
Heated glove liners from Warm N Safe

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
Heated GLOVES are the only way to go.

I've used grips and they are more convenient but cannot keep up with sub-freezing temps very long for me.

I've used shields, covers, etc. and they help, but not enough.

I imagine I could probably go some distance with a combination of heated grips and hippo-hand style cov
ers, but I can't stand the look of them so I doubt I'll ever bother.

What I REALLY want is a lithium battery pack rechargeable electric glove... and to move to AZ.
Lol, good though on the AZ thing:)  yea I’m leaning to the electric gloves, any particular brand you’ve tried and like?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »

Lmao, photo, you are in the wrong business:) however I’d say that would help and my wife said she was about to finish a jug of Clorox:)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
I too have considered Hippo Hands and similar, but they are ugly as F^@#!   I tried the Dainese Anemos Windstopper Gloves and found they stop wind about a well as my fingerless mesh gloves.  I tried adding a pair of FREEZE-OUT liners, which didn't help, so I now use a basic pair of leather gloves with the liners.  This combination seems to work in our warmer climes, but I wouldn't think of using them below 40F.

With my big hippo hands I can bust snow and hail pretty well.  I was a cold weather rider in Alaska for years and never used heated gear of any type.  Hippo hands and summer gloves/glove liners are comfy down to the 30s.  When I put on my real gloves I can ride in as cold a temperature as I care to.

When you get somewhere where you need them, hippo hands are the prettiest thing you ever saw.  I have three variations -- the original Vetter sheepskin lined ones with the re-enforcing rods, a light quilted fold-up kind, and a neoprene folding pair.  All are waterproof, and depending on my handlebar clutter, one is generally going to seal weather out better.  I carry a folding pair on the bikes for incidental cold, and install the big fleecy one on whatever the winter bike is.  Hippo Hands were originally designed for cable controls and stick mirrors on conventional handlebars.  They might not seal well on some hydraulic controls and other types of mirrors.  So look at the design of your candidate clone (I don't think Vetter is making them anymore) to see if they look like they'll fit.

The downside to Hippo hands are several: 

You might need to modify your handlebar clutter to get a good weather seal.  Things like master cylinders, levers and mirrors can get in the way.  Care must be taken during installation to not interfere with lever travel and buttons/switches.

Buttons/switches are not visible.  You need to know where they are by feel.  I've been known to tap the horn when I wanted to cancel the turn signal.

The folding kind can fold up on you while in service.  That means you can pull your hand out and the pocket collapses -- you can't get your hand back in.  Aside from the distraction, that can range from inconvenient to dangerous.  I get around that by putting a few loops of bicycle control cable in the seam around the hand opening.  The cable holds shape well enough to keep the opening open, but is still flexible enough to fold flat for storage.

And finally, a poorly mounted one can jam against the gas tank limiting steering.

But it takes no longer to put them on properly than it does to mount them poorly, and properly installed they're safe, warm, and butt ugly.  :thumb:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »
Lol, good though on the AZ thing:)  yea I’m leaning to the electric gloves, any particular brand you’ve tried and like?
I've got 20+ year old Widder gear.

But if I was shopping today I'd probably start with Gerbing and/or Safe & Warm.

But I'm curious what else is out there these days.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
I have a pair of Olympia GoreTex w/leather palm and fingers. New in 88 still good to 17*F if you don't move fingers around. Same gloves Widder used for lectric. I only use them in winter. If full of snow & slush do not take off hand they will be soaked from no heat inside.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:03:39 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
Heated gloves are the best answer.  I don’t ride much at below freezing temperatures but I have ridden for several hours at a time in mid-thirties temps with heated gloves.  Now I need to find a solution for my feet.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
Lol, good though on the AZ thing:)  yea I�m leaning to the electric gloves, any particular brand you�ve tried and like?

I bought these Gerbings glove liners. Didn't get a chance to try them while riding before the roads were all crapped up with "salt".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerbings-Heated-Clothing-Gloves-Liner-Unisex-Black-Connect-to-motorcycle-12V-DC/292254225595?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=591162187666&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Same seller has these inexpensive Gerbings heated gloves:
6oqQ" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerbings-NUBUCK-Heated-Gloves-Black-12V-Microwire-Heat-Waterproof-Thinsulate/292254153845?hash=item440bb47c75:m:m1EHkoiSWiEoi_rYFOq 6oqQ
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:42:15 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
Heated gloves are the best answer.  I don�t ride much at below freezing temperatures but I have ridden for several hours at a time in mid-thirties temps with heated gloves.  Now I need to find a solution for my feet.

Heated socks?
Charlie

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
 I have a book of WW2 German motorcycles that has several pictures showing exhaust gasses piped up to the handlebars and out to cups that covered the boots for use on the Russian front.
 I looked on the inner neck and couldn't find photos though I found this statement.

Next
Magazine
5 Things You Didn�t Know About BMW Motorbikes
18 February 2013
We asked Simon de Burton to come up with five little-known facts about BMW motorbikes, and this is what he told us: from the technically interesting tidbit to the simply bizarre.

Hot stuff
Although modern-day BMW bikes are available with a variety of engines ranging from the water-cooled, six-cylinder unit of the mighty K1600GT to the single-cylinder powerplant of the G650GS trail bike, it is the 'flat twin' configuration for which the marque is celebrated. The shaft-driven, horizontally opposed layout was originally conceived in 1922 by aeronautics engineer Max Friz � but few people know that one of the main reasons he went to work for the firm was because he was promised an office which benefited from a wood-burning stove.
Quite a Combination
Anyone who has watched The Great Escape will be familiar with the Wehrmacht R75 motorcycle combinations which appear in several scenes and which were issued to the German army in the early years of WWII � but, outside their enthusiast following, few people appreciate just how remarkable they were. Producing a mere 26bhp, the 750cc engines had a compression ratio of just 5.6:1, meaning they could run on fuel of the worst possible quality. They had eight forward and two reverse gears, a driven sidecar wheel with a locking differential, and all three wheels were interchangeable. There were hand and foot warmers heated by exhaust gases � but the dry weight of the outfit was 420kg!
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
COLD HANDS!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »
Heated gloves are the best answer.  I don’t ride much at below freezing temperatures but I have ridden for several hours at a time in mid-thirties temps with heated gloves.  Now I need to find a solution for my feet.
I use Gerbing heated socks and they’re great. They are a hassle though, with wires running up your pant leg. Getting geared up in full heated outfit takes about 20 min.

Another solution is chemical toe warmers stuck to your socks. They only warm a small area of course so are no good for me and my Raynaud’s. Plus I don’t like the lumps under my feet. There are also heated insoles, but that would have the same wiring hassles as socks.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:52:58 PM by rss29 »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »
I got a pair of Highway 21 heated gloves: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/highway-21-7v-radiant-heated-gloves?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=1100507320283|

These are good when I don't wear the full Gerbing's jacket liner that I use to connect to my Gerbing gloves. Not having the cumbersome wires is a plus. They're a little bulky but not extremely so. They only heat the top of your hands, but when it is cold enough to wear them, I'm not going to be out for long rides anyway.

Not cheap, but I'm too darned old to suffer from the cold when it can be avoided. Obviously they are good for other times when you're outdoors and want to keep your hands warm--they'd be perfect for watching a football game or some other event when it is really cold out.

Rich A

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
These with a set of Brush Guards under them .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Grip-HandleBar-Muffs-Hand-Protector-Mitts-Gloves/253204339763?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The price is easy to live with and they are easy on and off .   :wink:

breaking the wind off my already Good Gloves , is Warm
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:23:28 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 01:40:05 AM »
How do you guys in the really cold areas of America keep your hands from freezing? I rode the other day at 21 degrees and gloves with thinlate and liners, still my finger tips were to cold for comfort.
Suggestions welcomed:)
I spent 3 weeks up and around Nordkapp with temps around 3 degrees, occasionally up to 9 or so with 50% rain.
I used good gloves with rubberised over mittens, if you keep the gloves dry in this manner and keep the wind off at the same time, there's no drama at all

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 02:07:55 AM »
I got a pair of Highway 21 heated gloves: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/highway-21-7v-radiant-heated-gloves?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=1100507320283|

These are good when I don't wear the full Gerbing's jacket liner that I use to connect to my Gerbing gloves. Not having the cumbersome wires is a plus. They're a little bulky but not extremely so. They only heat the top of your hands, but when it is cold enough to wear them, I'm not going to be out for long rides anyway.

Not cheap, but I'm too darned old to suffer from the cold when it can be avoided. Obviously they are good for other times when you're outdoors and want to keep your hands warm--they'd be perfect for watching a football game or some other event when it is really cold out.

Rich A
Cool, that gets my attention!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 04:13:12 AM »
If you keep your head and core warm your hands will stay warmer.  If your hands are cold below 40 degrees it's time to break out the balaclava and a neck gaiter.  I have a hardwired, heated vest and it makes a huge difference in how comfortable my hands are in cold temps.  A battery powered heated vest works too. I had a Jett lithium battery vest for years(from Australia) and it was a prized possession for everything from biking to late Fall sporting events.  Hippo hands and handguards are both great.  Below 40 I break out my Held Freezer gloves and I'm good down to 32 for extended periods.  I don't ride on the street much below 32 degrees because the roads in northern New England get treated with too much salt and sand.  Roads are usually wet during the day with a layer of ice below the sand in hte morning and afternoon as the sun rises and sets.  Hand warmer packets are super cheap and we usually have 3 or 4 boxes of them laying around the house during ski season.       

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 05:29:25 AM »
Heated grips are the way forward.  Not only do they work, but you can vary the temperature to wear thinner gloves when it isnt arctic as well. These here cost about 35 bucks, go on easy and work.  I have used them in too many DC winter commutes.  I wired in a rheostat for infinate adjustment, but it comes with a HI-LO switch.  Once you go electric, you never go back.  Heated grips are a must for everyone of my bikes (including the work bike)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:30:13 AM by timmythecop »
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 06:16:30 AM »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

bpreynolds

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:41 AM »

upload my photo
As others have said, heated gloves are really your only great option for especially cold temps.  I�ve been using them for 13 years.  If you have the dual controller it�s not that big a deal really.  This past week I have been riding the new V7III Stone to work (17 miles there, 17 back) with Gerbing�s gloves in temps of 9-11F with windchill below that even - I arrive at work pretty toasty if you believe that or not. Nobody believes me when I tell them I�m warmer on the bike than I am in the car with all that heat being poured directly on ya.  Of course, even if you�re warm in these kinds of temps there are a ton other things to worry about like cold tires and such, but I take it fairly easy.  I wear a balaclava and insulated/armored pants as well but honestly my legs don�t get that cold.  It�s always been astonishing to me how heated gear can completely transform Winter rides from just being tolerable/intolerable to amazing.  I just got back 3 weeks ago from about a 1300 mile roundtrip on my KTM.  The first two days were in temps about 22.  I had the full Gerbing�s outfit with the pants and even the socks  :thumb: It was almost stupid, laughably comfortable. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:21:16 AM by bpreynolds »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 06:30:51 AM »

This past week I have been riding the new V7III Stone to work (17 miles there, 17 back) with Gerbing�s gloves in temps of 9-11F with windchill below that even - I arrive at work pretty toasty if you believe that or not. Nobody believes me when I tell them I�m warmer on the bike than I am in the car with all that heat being poured directly on ya.

I don't believe ya.

Let's see I can either:

Put on the thermal layers (under armor top/bottom and thermal socks, plus glove liners), followed by the fleece-lined jeans/long sleeve shirt, maybe a small sweatshirt, followed by the widder vest and electric gloves, followed by the aerostich jacket, pants, a balaclava and neck warmer to seal the helmet to the jacket and vest with the heated collar) and waddle like the Michelin man out to the Sporty with the tall windshield and wind deflector guards for the hands, bend over plug in, and somehow find that even though I tucked my jeans in my boots under the aerostich pants there's still an air leak SOMEWHERE... and the helmet which is mostly sealed and using a pinlock to avoid fog is still got a wisp of cold air on my face, and then I hit highway speeds and it's like the wind is just coming through the whole outfit like a ghost anyway.

OR

I can remote start the Jeep, which turns the heated seat on too and get in it after less than 5 minutes and by 10 minutes I'm thinking I need to roll down a window cause I'm too hot.

Nope, no way....

of course YMMV.

I remember back in the 90's before my heated vest I used to wear a one-piece snowmobile suit for my 1.5 hour long commute. Even then I don't think I was ever REALLY warm...just not "cold" at best.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here