New 20 ounce tumblers available now! Forum donation credit with purchase. https://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm#Tumbler
Finally, I think the cheap fix might just be to fit a piece of breathable foam over the vent. That would probably still permit air/oil to vent if needed, but would prevent rain drops and mist from getting into the vent.
JUst ordered the new vent so not here yet.Smith I did all that several times and the simplest washing seems to get it in there.
Today I finally installed a remote vent on the V7 rear drive. It's dead simple, M10 banjo bolt with barbed fitting, 1/4" polyethelyene tubing routed under the tank. I'd rather have black tubing but....gotta use what is on hand..
Some thoughts. Maybe you havenít gotten all the original water out of the final drive. So when you drain it, it comes out water contaminated, and so you assume it is still leaking. But maybe thatís just old water. Maybe try draining, filling with a cheap dino oil, ride a few hundred miles in dry weather, and see what it looks like when you drain it. Keep doing that until you have gotten all the water out and the oil drains clear. I think the definitive test is to pull the final drive off the swing arm. No big deal. Is there water or rust in the swing arm? There was on mine. If there is water in the swing arm, thatís from the boot, not the vent. If the swing arm is bone dry but the final drive oil keeps getting contaminated, then itís the vent, not the boot. Finally, I think the cheap fix might just be to fit a piece of breathable foam over the vent. That would probably still permit air/oil to vent if needed, but would prevent rain drops and mist from getting into the vent.
So I take it waiting until 12,000 miles to replace the rear drive oil (as per the factory recommendations) is probably a bad idea....
Would anybody have a picture of Pete's solution? Is this a similar kit?http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3208Sarah
I canít remeber exactly, but there is a circlip on the inside of the boot, and I think the rubber was kinda bunched up leaving a gap. I removed the circlip, got silicone goop all in there, and then carefully reinstalled the circlip so the boot was stretched evenly all around.
JUst ordered the new vent so not here yet.Smith I did all that several times and the simplest washing seems to get it in there. alas I've been too lazy to pull it apart but if the new vent doesn't cure it I will break down sometime. I suspect there is a hole in the back of the boot where I can't feel / find it or when peeling it back to silicone it I missed a spot. hard to get to or see. I had built a cool homemade cover for the vent but it didn't help.
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.