Author Topic: Dyna 3 problem  (Read 700 times)

Offline 73 sport

• Hatchling
Dyna 3 problem
« on: December 10, 2023, 06:44:55 PM »
   Would the member from Australia with the Dyna 3 problem inform us if he found a solution. It would interest several of us.

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Dyna 3 problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 10:36:27 PM »
Hi 73 sport it was I but I done a little more investigating and solved the issue so pulled the question so as not to waste peoples time, My TDC was correct and 13 and 39 degree marks were good with piston stop and degree wheel but when I strobed it in to the 39 degree at 4400 rpm the 13 degree was two teeth out or about 7 degrees and vice versa if I timed 13 degree first and it was holding 13 degree up to 2500 RPM and I should have woken up then but hey its Monday, however a little further prodding and the primary advance spring was too firm so made up another spring and all good, I have had the bike for 20 years and never touched the ignition because it worked fine  (If it aint broke dont touch it ) but my wife works from home on Mondays and I get kicked out of the house  and it was raining so I got bored out in the shed and decided to check the timing , I havent ridden it yet but Im sure it will be fine, I should have left it alone , sorry to raise your curiosity , Ray
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:39:13 PM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 06:38:44 AM »
Not Dyna 3, but I recently resolved an inconsistent problem with the Dyna on my CX while working on the ignition system.  Check the connectors.

I had plugged and unplugged wire from pick-up to coil a few times as I rerouted & rearranged the installation.  All connections seemed good but there was a lingering stumble/miss that was separate from the detonation issues I was chasing. Then one of the pickup wires fell out of the crimp connector because it had never been crimped by the manufacturer.  It looked fine, but the shrink wrap was the only thing securing the wire.  The stripped wire had never even been deformed within the terminal end. I doubt it had ever had proper function, which may have influenced limited use after rebuild & installation by the po.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:39:38 AM »
Cool collection Ray!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:39:38 AM »

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
  • I ride I wrench I ride some more
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »
I put the Dyna  ignition in my 850-T way back in 2010 .Since then I have put well over 100,000 miles on it and it never once gave me any problems.Best upgrade I ever did on any of my motorcycles .Good luck with yours , glad you solved the problem.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 10:25:22 PM »
 Worked fine on my Le Mans 2 for years and then one day it didn't . Same thing happened with a Lucas Rita decades ago that
worked fine and one fine Sunday 140 km from home , it stopped , never any warnings . Finally returned back to points and a
small mod to the advance cam and it's just fine . Taken me to a few rallies out west (Broken Arrow,etc) . I kinda enjoy tinkering :) . Peter

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 10:25:07 AM »
I've had a few. Last one failed on a trip to Disneyland in LA. Had the points plate with so just replaced it in a parking lot.
Sold all the bikes it would work with except the T3.
Have a box containing 3 or so complete used Dyna 3s. If anyone wants to play with them, I'd be happy to send them out. Let's say $20+ shipping?
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 03:21:55 PM »
Ccoli, if one will fit a 90 Mille gt I will take it..

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »
I’ll take one. PM me the details.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 11:08:04 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear. I put all the Dyna ignition plates and modules in one shoebox. I don't know if any of them work. Nor do I know which ones are bad. So it might be best if they all go to one electronically savvy person
If I knew I'd probably keep one for my T3.
Dynas website is not very helpful as it says these will fit an 850 Eldorado.
I do know they only replace points and condenser ignition in a distributor,  not any electronics like Motoplat or electrex
Ccoli, if one will fit a 90 Mille gt I will take it..
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear. I put all the Dyna ignition plates and modules in one shoebox. I don't know if any of them work. Nor do I know which ones are bad. So it might be best if they all go to one electronically savvy person
If I knew I'd probably keep one for my T3.
Dynas website is not very helpful as it says these will fit an 850 Eldorado.
I do know they only replace points and condenser ignition in a distributor,  not any electronics like Motoplat or electrex
That's pretty fancy on Dyna's part- being able to use the same plate (D37-1) for an Eldorado and for a Convert.  ;)
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here