Author Topic: Eldorado oil pump  (Read 868 times)

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
Eldorado oil pump
« on: January 26, 2022, 05:27:56 PM »
Well found my piston slap, with piston pushed to one side in the bore you can see the best part of the top ring looking back at you so didn't pull the old girl off the road for nothing, surprising the cast bore was not too oval probably over bored many years ago,  anyway the oil pump is showing wear with the secondary gear having play in the alloy bush and the gears only showing contact on about 40% indicating considerable  wear . I can get a NOS pump from Germany but I'm not overly impressed with the genuine item however it has lasted for the last 50 years  ?? Is reproduction better ?? one that has taken my interest is a Scrambler Cycle advertised  product that has helical cut gears ,all others advertised are straight cut like original . Any one had any experience with any of these reproductions .I don't wish to purchase an expensive lemon  Ray  P.S. Eldorado timing gear model with tapered shaft
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:30:59 PM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Eldorado oil pump
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
I was wondering rodekyll if the helical gears would be slightly longer and gave more pumping surface but the more I think about it the helical gears may try to get away from each other and cause pump body wear at each end  , maybe stick to whats tried and tested but whos is the best or just go NOS.  Ill see what others have to say
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
Gear driven cam or chain driven? An Eldo can be either depending on when it was built.

I use this pump for the gear driven ones. https://hmb-guzzi.de/Oil-Pump-CNC-V7-models
Charlie

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »
Thanks Charlie, its  Gear driven and I did come across that add and much cheaper than NOS that I can get hold of, I am thinking that new CNC made may have better tolerances than originals. Its just positive feed back I'm looking for before I hand over my life's savings.
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 10:28:05 PM »
Thanks all and Charlie I went ahead with the HMB pump. On its way
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks all and Charlie I went ahead with the HMB pump. On its way

:thumb:
Charlie

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 06:04:57 PM »
I was wondering rodekyll if the helical gears would be slightly longer and gave more pumping surface but the more I think about it the helical gears may try to get away from each other and cause pump body wear at each end  , maybe stick to whats tried and tested but whos is the best or just go NOS.  Ill see what others have to say

Although many manufacturers successfully use straight cut oil pump gears including Ducati the prime reason for helical gears in an oil pump is it produces a more stable oil pressure with less fluctuations. As the gear teeth cross the pump body reliefs they do so in a gradual way as opposed to the straight cut gears open/close abruptness. I spent quite a lot of time in pump research helping Joe Caruso with the design of his new oil pump which is ready to go into production. One benefit among many that Joes pump will offer is the widest gears possible and also the possibility of a steel plate behind the pump on the gear faces to negate any crankcase face wear.
I have a pump on order with Joe of course for the Daytona engine I'm building. I've had experience with 2 types of std pumps and 2 different aftermarket pumps apart from Joes and Joes are by far the best and his newest generation will be even better with less pumping losses but returning to a bushed mainshaft instead of the needle bearing.
I have no fiscal interest in Joes pumps, I just think they are the best.

joe.caruso@ntlworld.com <joe.caruso@ntlworld.com>;

Ciao   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:12:30 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »
thanks for the heads up Lucky Phil & did see somewhere on a Ducati site I think where you give Joe a write up but don't think he does the old tapered shaft pump., I have already ordered a pump from HMB and its advertised as helical gears . They were the only business to give a good write up on there pumps, the others T.L Stein dense, Scrambler, just pushed a picture under my nose so HMB got my money 
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:55:05 PM »
thanks for the heads up Lucky Phil & did see somewhere on a Ducati site I think where you give Joe a write up but don't think he does the old tapered shaft pump., I have already ordered a pump from HMB and its advertised as helical gears . They were the only business to give a good write up on there pumps, the others T.L Stein dense, Scrambler, just pushed a picture under my nose so HMB got my money

My Daytona engine is fitted with  the DAS pump which is quite nice as well. I haven't actually held a HMB pump in my hand so I'm not in a position to comment on the quality.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here