Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1027785 times)

SantaFeRider

Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »
Name: Marcelo

Live in:  Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Profession: Retired, life misspender.

married for 30 years, one daughter from former mistake.

Hobbies:  motorcyclist for 45 years, anything else with a motor has captured my attention at one time or another, food, wine and spirits, outside living, smelling the roses, classical music, art and architecture, traveling.

Favorite quote:  "knowledge is the enemy of faith"

Zerhackermann

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »

And the other one about cutting someone in half to read the rings.
Sounds like the onset of Treebergers syndrome, a delusional state where the recipient becomes secretive about themselves while imaging others to be made of wood.

No...It's called ASHberger's syndrome.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2006, 10:59:58 AM »

And the other one about cutting someone in half to read the rings.
Sounds like the onset of Treebergers syndrome, a delusional state where the recipient becomes secretive about themselves while imaging others to be made of wood.

No...It's called ASHberger's syndrome.

Well you don't seem Autistic to me. Maybe it could be ENTism.

Chicago Mark

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
Mark Pintar, 45

West Chicago, IL

Married 20+ years to my best friend and wife, Shannon

Screenprinting mesh and other supplies sales rep

Confirmed Guzziaholic, no 12 step program needed or desired

2000 blue and silver Bassa with lots of mods and additions with more planned

1998 BRG Centauro Sport, also with lots of mods and additions with more planned

DINK (dual income, no kids)

3 dogs, Mini, (MinPin), Max (MinPin) and Spike (Yorkie)

Still love old FIATs, Studebakers, Willy's and cars or trucks in general.

We live for Jesus Christ and enjoy riding as we're able to and as time permits. I'm a deacon at our church and Shannon is also heavily involved in the Ministry of Helps. Our church, www.fwo.org is far from religious or ordinary in that we preach and teach bible doctrine, not church doctrine. Religion is a shackel, Jesus is our strength. We are far from perfect unless you consider us as perfect sinners. But we strive to be worthy of Him.  

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »

moltoguzzi

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2006, 11:21:52 AM »
Mario Anthony Malone, nickname Molto, 51yo.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart 25yrs., a son and daughter, 2 cats.

Last 10yrs Police Officer, previous 20 as a Mech. Eng. for the Defense industry.

Traced roots to ancient Rome but now married to a Viking/Barberian, go figure.

Fishing, hunting, soccer, family vacations, former foosball Eastcoast Champion, eating.

As a kid in Italy I owned a Torino moped 50cc and a 125cc Gilera, returned to riding this past year after 37yrs and it as taken most of my free time and money, I am in love with my 02EV, I must see and touched it everyday.

Looking forward to a red Norge with spoke wheels, alternates Vintage or HD Softail Deluxe.

Oh yeah my wife is a professional shopper and I am her only client.

Motto: Motorcycles have spoke wheels, cars have mags

Ciao, Molto

Offline gary martin

• Gaggle Hero
  • My train of thought runs on a short track.
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2006, 11:49:59 AM »
ok, since pets are being mentioned . . .
mine :  congo african grey parrot "pogo" says "see ya later" when i leave the house and lots of other stuff depending on the situation.
wifes:  green wing macaw and two cats - of that group only one of the cats is tolerable ::)
04 Guzzi evT, 11 Suzuki V Strom, 84 Honda CT110, 70 BMW R50/5

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »
Dee Gutierrez  I live in  Cashmere, WA with Pete (N97972)

911 dispatcher.  I tell cops, firefighters and paramedics where to go.  Been doing that for 12 years, only job I liked better was flying a King Air.

Divorced once, I have 4 kids aged 17 - 22. 

Hobbies:  motocycles, flying (I'm multi-comm-IFR), cooking, eating, wine, gardening, reading, x/c skiing, bicycling
We have 7 motorcycles, 2 planes, 2 tractors, several 4 wheeled vehicles and I am having trouble keeping up with maintenance schedules. 

For those of you, like Yaledriver, that like antique aircraft, my friend Tom is doing a ground up restoration of a Fairchild F24 that belonged to the DuPont family back when it was new. 

http://www2.whidbey.net/nc19143/index.htm

Will Creedon

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2006, 12:05:02 PM »
1984 Ducati 900SS Bevel (bought at a GM employee auction in 1986 with 19 miles on the clock)[/left]

An S2 perhaps? 

900SS's were made from 1975-1982, replaced by the 900 S2 in 1983/84, the 84s had electric start etc, and then the 1985 S2 Mille which was the end of the line.

Will

From what I understand, the 900SS was still made in 84 They were not sold in the US after 82.  That is why I usually say it was a bevel drive because most people assume otherwise. As far as I know they were still being made until 1986. That particular 1984 900SS BEVEL was only in the US because General Motors wanted to look it over. I bought it from GM at an employee auction for $1500 with a service manual, a spare head and a Michigan title.The bike was in Euro trim with 40MM DelLortos and rock strainers along with fine sounding Contis. If it weren't for a local dealer sending in a shill bidder I would have won the bid at $400.  Back then the Harley/Honda sheep couldn't care less about a Ducati. Most of them had no idea. I later found out who the dealer was. He said he told his bidder to stop at $1500 because he figured there would be no title only a BOS, since the bike was not actually type approved for 1984. He was sick when I told him I got a Michigan title with the bike. Since the title was from the certificate of origin I was listed as the first owner.
   Many in the US think the 900SS went away when they quit coming here in 1982. Not the case

I remember seeing your bike advertised for auction at that time (1986), or maybe afterwards for sale elsewhere.  The GM story rings a bell as does the bike.

Bevel drive engines were not discontinued in 1983, but the 900SS was discontinued, and replaced by an updated model called the 900S2.  Many people think the S2 is less of a bike than the SS it replaced for various reasons (it got very poor reviews at the time) so that is why it is significant to some.  Today some of the changes are easily backdated.  The S2 wasn't sold in the US, which leads to some confusion here, although it was sold in Canada. The S2 used a new frame relative to the 750 or 900SS, recognizable by different engine mounting lugs (flat like a Darmah, versus being a weldment made from two pices of tubing).  This frame is well known as a backwards step relative to the SS frame, it screwed up the handing a bit.  The same frame was used for post-82 Hailwoods, which were sold in the US.   Electriic start was available on the S2.   In 84 they introduced different engine cases, with new verison electric start and spin on oil filter for the S2 and Hailwood, but kept rolling element bearings for the rods.  Then in 1985, they introduced an again-revised engine on the S2 and the Hailwood, this time the "Mille" with 973 cc displacement and plain bearing bottom end.

Massimo Bordi was the technical lead for the engine updates in 84 and 85, he later was the technical lead for all the 4V/cylinder engines that  got Ducati their WSB victories.  He left when TPG took over from Cagiva.

This was the last of the 900SS's, a 1981/82 model....

Here is a 1983/84 Ducati 900S2...  (this one is actually an 83, but they are very similar except for the engine cases).  The fairing is the same as a 600 Pantah.   This one has electric start, same setup as a Darmah, never available on a 900SS.  Instruments and warning lights the same as the Hailwood or Darmah, with ND gauges, different than the Veglias used on the last SS's.

Here is a 1985 Ducati S2 Mille.  Note the different engine cases.

Sorry for yet another thread diversion!

Ciao,

Will

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:19:35 PM by Will Creedon »

Will Creedon

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:51 PM »
For those of you, like Yaledriver, that like antique aircraft, my friend Tom is doing a ground up restoration of a Fairchild F24 that belonged to the DuPont family back when it was new. 

http://www2.whidbey.net/nc19143/index.htm

I'd seen that page before, Fairchild 24s are neat airplanes.  A friend of mine has a beautiful one with a 200 HP Ranger, unlike this one with its Warner radial.   They are cool because they are a little smaller and more economical than the typical 30's cabin airplane.

Thanks,

Will

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2006, 12:55:12 PM »
Live on the navel of the Earth.

Atlanta is the rectum of the earthi.

Can't argue that point since you live there.  If I still lived in Chester, PA then I'd argue with you. ;D
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

EVDavid

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »
David Hughes
Gloucestershire, England
Married, with son at uni
Close to end of ten year contract restoring old farm and buildings in Greece and about to move to head office in south of France.
Classic Brit bikes, fishing and WW11 piston engined aircraft, hope to mahe Reno air races for 60th birthday next year.

hotair

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »
Hotair/ David Evans 58,retarded(means I am able to slow down),1 son, married third time last I hope,plumber/AC/pilot fixed wing and free balloon/certified risk evaluator for ins ind/inflateable product replica mfg/builder/goof-off/worlds worst typest and speller/hint checker for my wife/like: eating,drinking,BS, cooking, cigars, all things that GO, fishing,travel,people,science, reading,ect,ect........OH YEA live in south TEXAS where you can do things outdoor all year long ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NOLAGuzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »
Mark Wilson
New Orleans LA
Occupation- Cancer Research, Tulane University

Hobbies; Kung-Fu, Motorcycles, Music, and Horticulture.

04 Breva 750
NOLA = New Orleans LA

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »
Jim,
CPA, CMA, CFM, CISA, CITP
Collector of certifications
Married 22+ years
2 daughters 21 and 17 I'm almost free.
3 bikes - Trident Beast Stone
2 goldens Valentine and Bear
3 convertibles S S S
Unincorporated Illinois where the land is flat and the roads are straight.
hobbies, photo, bass fishing, darts (metal not that plastic tipped electronic wannabe sheet)
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

JohnG.

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
G'day.... :)
John Gorman
Married to Colleen...15 years...
Three dogs,Two cats & a bloody horse on
small farmlet just out of town 8) :)
Driver for a Autologistics mob...thats looks like its
going to be sold...again... :(
Currently riding a Aprilia Caponord ETV 1000...
(but wishing for a new MG the same size...)
..'cause anything else is too small,causing back ache...

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »
Turin Saris, 33, scottsdale AZ       Ex nightclub manager and bartender, now plant manager and lab tech for a Ensso Emulsions (U.S. sister Co. to http://www.entacemulsions.com/) I also get to Drive a Kenworth T600 and a T800, both w/ 4000 gallon tanks. A T-3 was my first bike 17 years ago. I've had a KTM (POS), a heavily modified Cagiva Allazurra (balled that one) , and currentlly have a Trumpet 1200 Daytona, in addition to my two Guzzi's. I'll be looking for a third Guzzi, probablly a square fin Lemon of some sort. I'm also a muscle car nut, and have involuntarilly collected three cats (the missus knows I'm a sucker).
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Cal III Big Valve Hotrod
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
19?? Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
  • SW Iowa....no we don't grow potatoes here!
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
I decided to never hide behind a nickname...that holds me more accountable for what and how I say things.  that's not a put-down of nicknames, just an accountability issue for me.

Dan Beaman
Brayton, Iowa That's halfway between Des Moines and Omaha
My wife and I own a small town jewelry store. (been in the business itself for 20 years and bought this stoe 11 years ago.
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline GZRPWR

• New Egg
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Don Nortrup

Suburban DC

Age 64, Married 42 yrs, 2 daughters

Retired in March after 40 years in a federal environmental agency (the one that warns you when the hurricanes on its way)

Still trying to figure out how this retirement business works

Enjoy the bikes, traditional music, photography, and travel (looking forward to New Zealand in ((our)) springtime)

Goal is to keep riding till I'm the oldest on this board

V11S
R1100R
SRX6
T120R

Zerhackermann

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »
I decided to never hide behind a nickname...that holds me more accountable for what and how I say things.  that's not a put-down of nicknames, just an accountability issue for me.

Dan Beaman
Brayton, Iowa That's halfway between Des Moines and Omaha
My wife and I own a small town jewelry store. (been in the business itself for 20 years and bought this stoe 11 years ago.

Fair enough. And whatever serves to control your impulses  ;D I just snap myself with a rubber band. But I digress.

It occurs to me that there aint no way of knowing for sure that "Dan Beaman" isn't anymore a 'nym than "Zerhackermann" is.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:27:53 PM by Zerhackermann »

Riding Free

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »
1984 Ducati 900SS Bevel (bought at a GM employee auction in 1986 with 19 miles on the clock)[/left]

An S2 perhaps? 

900SS's were made from 1975-1982, replaced by the 900 S2 in 1983/84, the 84s had electric start etc, and then the 1985 S2 Mille which was the end of the line.

Will

From what I understand, the 900SS was still made in 84 They were not sold in the US after 82.  That is why I usually say it was a bevel drive because most people assume otherwise. As far as I know they were still being made until 1986. That particular 1984 900SS BEVEL was only in the US because General Motors wanted to look it over. I bought it from GM at an employee auction for $1500 with a service manual, a spare head and a Michigan title.The bike was in Euro trim with 40MM DelLortos and rock strainers along with fine sounding Contis. If it weren't for a local dealer sending in a shill bidder I would have won the bid at $400.  Back then the Harley/Honda sheep couldn't care less about a Ducati. Most of them had no idea. I later found out who the dealer was. He said he told his bidder to stop at $1500 because he figured there would be no title only a BOS, since the bike was not actually type approved for 1984. He was sick when I told him I got a Michigan title with the bike. Since the title was from the certificate of origin I was listed as the first owner.
   Many in the US think the 900SS went away when they quit coming here in 1982. Not the case

I remember seeing your bike advertised for auction at that time (1986), or maybe afterwards for sale elsewhere.  The GM story rings a bell as does the bike.

Bevel drive engines were not discontinued in 1983, but the 900SS was discontinued, and replaced by an updated model called the 900S2.  Many people think the S2 is less of a bike than the SS it replaced for various reasons (it got very poor reviews at the time) so that is why it is significant to some.  Today some of the changes are easily backdated.  The S2 wasn't sold in the US, which leads to some confusion here, although it was sold in Canada. The S2 used a new frame relative to the 750 or 900SS, recognizable by different engine mounting lugs (flat like a Darmah, versus being a weldment made from two pices of tubing).  This frame is well known as a backwards step relative to the SS frame, it screwed up the handing a bit.  The same frame was used for post-82 Hailwoods, which were sold in the US.   Electriic start was available on the S2.   In 84 they introduced different engine cases, with new verison electric start and spin on oil filter for the S2 and Hailwood, but kept rolling element bearings for the rods.  Then in 1985, they introduced an again-revised engine on the S2 and the Hailwood, this time the "Mille" with 973 cc displacement and plain bearing bottom end.

Massimo Bordi was the technical lead for the engine updates in 84 and 85, he later was the technical lead for all the 4V/cylinder engines that  got Ducati their WSB victories.  He left when TPG took over from Cagiva.

This was the last of the 900SS's, a 1981/82 model....

Here is a 1983/84 Ducati 900S2...  (this one is actually an 83, but they are very similar except for the engine cases).  The fairing is the same as a 600 Pantah.   This one has electric start, same setup as a Darmah, never available on a 900SS.  Instruments and warning lights the same as the Hailwood or Darmah, with ND gauges, different than the Veglias used on the last SS's.

Here is a 1985 Ducati S2 Mille.  Note the different engine cases.

Sorry for yet another thread diversion!

Ciao,

Will

Hello Will,
 Thanks for the info. I sold the bike to a pretty well known Dacatisti from Toledo Ohio area. I have heard it now resides with a Detroit area Triumph parts dealer whom I used to deal back and forth with about 25 years ago. It was positively an SS not an S2. Perhaps the title date and GMs involvement had some issues. The ID tag as I recall and title for sure called it a 1984.I still have an old Michigan registration . It had the early style frame, the race kit goodies and the beautiful Contis not those ugly Eastern looking mufflers fitted to the S2.Kick start only and not the S2 style cases. In any event it was a very real 900SS Ducati and titled and probably tagged a 1984. It was only here because GM wanted one. It did come direct from Italy.[/color]
  Perhaps a one off from the parts bin? For sure it was not type approved or emissions certified for that model year in the USA. Still it wound up titled and registered as a 1984 right here in Michigan. The dealer bidding was a Ducati dealer at one time and is still a Guzzi dealer.

Thanks again for the info, if I still owned the bike I would get a real answer. For now I call it what the title called it. And I know for sure it isn't the S2 model but is a genuine 900SS/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:46:25 PM by Riding Free »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
Now that we have all given info about ourselves, lets hope some psycho wont come after us with a snipper rifle... ;D

Zerhackermann

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
Now that we have all given info about ourselves, lets hope some psycho wont come after us with a snipper rifle... ;D

Snipper rifle? Does it use scissors for ammo?

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »

Wilguzzi bandwith warning on "modify" button request :D

Zerhackermann

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2006, 05:34:56 PM »

No to mention Speedy McToolbox on the "Quote" button

FUGuzzi

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »
Alias or not ;D, now that we know who we are amongst ourselves, may I add that if you haven't joined 216 of your Guzzisti friends already on the Google group page to please do so, so we know *where* you are!

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2006, 05:39:49 PM »

McToolbox?  you callin' me a tool? I'm not a tool  ;) ;D

FUGuzzi

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »
and yeah, linky is http://www.frappr.com/guzzisti
and FWIW, FUGuzzi my alias is not "Eff You Guzzi", FUG = Fredericksburg, VA

Zerhackermann

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »

McToolbox?  you callin' me a tool? I'm not a tool  ;) ;D

Notchou....me.

Will Creedon

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2006, 05:44:49 PM »
  Hello Will ,

Thanks for the info. I sold the bike to a pretty well known Dacatisti from Toledo Ohio area. I have heard it now resides with a Detroit area Triumph parts dealer whom I used to deal back and forth with about 25 years ago. It was positively an SS not an S2. Perhaps the title date and GMs involvement had some issues but the ID tag as I recall and title for sure called it a 1984.I still have an old Michigan registration . It had the early style frame, the race kit goodies and the beautiful Contis not those ugly Eastern looking mufflers fitted to the S2.Kick start only and not the S2 style cases. In any event it was a very real 900SS Ducati and titled and probably tagged a 1984. It was only here because GM wanted one. It did come direct from Italy.

From your description it is an earlier model bike titled as an '84, which was common, and that would've been even more likely considering that GM bought it for their own reasons (not likely to include rides in the country :-)  and so they didn't necessariy need to title it. 

Ciao!

Will

verde

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2006, 05:49:22 PM »
Andy Sicignano
Houston, Tx
Married, 5 kids, of whom 4 are still in college.
Computer Systems Consultant
Hobbies... ? I seem to have lost track of them, although I'm enjoying the hell out of a Federico Fellini film retrospective that wraps up this weekend.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here