Author Topic: I binned the EV  (Read 1743 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
I binned the EV
« on: August 19, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »
Well I binned my Moto Guzzi EV and scraped myself up pretty good.

I was taking a left hand cloverleaf downhill to merge on to the expressway, lightly trail braking and the bike low-sided and scraped the pavement.  I highsided and rolled over and kissed the pavement twice since my modular helmet was open.  The bike was still running on the curb.  All kinds of traffic was barreling down that blind cloverleaf behind me. 

A couple of good Samaritans helped me get the bike up and asked if I wanted an ambulance.  I want to get the bike moved, my shop is couple miles away.  Anyway, we got it up and it started.  The windshield, running boards, crash bar and grab handled were buggered on the left side and handlebar bent.

There was a big bunch of wadded plastic like packing material in the front fender it was wrapped around the caliper.  I didn't consider it at the time but I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. 

I had my gear on but my old mesh jacket ripped and I've got road rash my forearm and elbow, my nose and chin are scraped as well a small spot on my right knee.  Those riding jeans I wrote about aren't ripped.  My Shoei is a little knacked on the chinbar since it was open.  In the mess of getting it all together I lost one of my custom earplugs, this irks me the most.  I call the wife and tell her to meet me at the shop. 

The cops come by and asks if I want an ambulance.  I've got my gear on by then and just want to ride it to the shop.  The clutch won't work, it's lost the pivot pin.  We find a sheet metal screw on the pavement, good enough.  I try to adjust the mirrors and fail.  So I ask the cop to block traffic so I can ride it.  For some reason he's screws around and I just take off down the expressway at the first break.  I get off at the first exit and doubleback 3 miles to the shop.  I finally get the mirrors adjusted half way there.  I'm grateful to be moving to get some air riding back with the helmet still open.

When I get there one of the techs wife is an EMT and they patch up my elbow.  I wait and call my wife again, she misunderstood and is panicked and not left yet.  I try to cool off, wash up and drink lots of water.  Bev picks me up.  I get home have a beer and take a Tylenol and a stashed muscles relaxer.  Take a shower and have scotch and write this story.

I'm going to have to get earplugs.  I've got other helmets and jackets.  My lower back is a little sore.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:37:39 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I binned the EV
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 06:02:36 PM »
Tough luck John,get well soon.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 06:24:55 PM »
Thanks TK. 

Yeah, I'm feeling sorry for myself.   :wink:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:42:01 PM »
Wow, hellofa way to start your day. Plastic trim piece on side of fender did it?  Stay lubricated, heal well.
I always wanted to know how a modular holds up open. Mine is open when I smoke while riding.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »
Dang, John, Im sorry that happened to you.That really sucks. That being said, You are one tough, as nails Guzzisti, Sir.  :bow:  Dusting yourself off, and getting back on the bent bike to ride it home is not for the faint of heart.

heal quick, and take care of yourself. Luckily there are a ton of vintage EV parts out there, to bring the bike back to good shape.  Mark Etheridge has a bunch of take off stuff that he is selling, and some of that may be useful to you.

Take care
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »
That Sucks!  :cry:  Sorry to hear this, Get healed up and hopefully you be back on the road soon.
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 07:07:37 PM »
It’s really good to know your still with us !!
I can’t quite picture a left hand cloverleaf?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 07:10:38 PM »
Glad you’re typing and pissed about your missing earplug and … instead of this post coming from someone else to update us because you can’t, John.   Don’t beat yourself up over this- no need for that.

I hope the near future isn’t too uncomfortable.  Take it easy and keep us posted..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »
Good that your injuries were minimal.
Let’s all take notice that if this can happen to an experienced rider like LR it can happen to any one of us.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:05:59 PM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
Wow, hellofa way to start your day. Plastic trim piece on side of fender did it?  Stay lubricated, heal well.
I always wanted to know how a modular holds up open. Mine is open when I smoke while riding.

I think it was some packing material, perhaps for roofing.  Some road debris that I never saw it riding.  Getting the bike up at first I thought the caliper had come apart, then pulled out a 4 foot roll of stiff plastic with a bunch writing on it.  I didn't make the connection until later.   I'm just riding and then I'm going down.  Then scrambling to get my shit together.  Luckily a couple of guys helped me out and we didn't get run over by a semi in the process. 

The helmet seems intact but all the trim material has come off.  You're not supposed to crash in one with the facepiece open.  Actually it did do a good job of keeping my face from being a total mess and likely going to an ambulance.  Yes, it should've been closed,  It was hot and I wanted some air, I was going to close it when I got on the highway.  I just didn't expect the bike fall on the ground underneath me while I was going around a corner at 40mph.

My left arm took took the worse.  And I'm a little sore, my lower back.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 07:30:10 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
Heal up bro!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 07:28:41 PM »

Thanks for all your thoughts Rick, Cliff, Foto, Tim, at al.  Yeah jus' feeling sorry for myself.

Yes, it's a left lane merge on the highway below.  It's rutted concrete.  I've been down it a million times.  It's in OKC left merge from lane on west east bound of 10th street to I-44 going (north) east.  I was amazed at the crap that was on the road when looking for that clutch bolt.

The roads in the state have been designed by r#$%@#s with half the money needed to it right. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:03:53 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
I hate these kind of posts even tho it is a somewhat happy ending. Best wishes and heal quickly.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 08:05:35 PM »
Damn , glad you're  going to be ok. No keeping a good man down! I'd say that Moto Guzzi saved you're life, just like my 1400 did for me. Don't let it get you down, just keep the faith and thank you're guardian angles and continue on life's  journey un scaved.

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 08:31:06 PM »
Road rash is the worse. I hope your self medication makes it tolerable.  :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:
I fall off quite a bit trials riding. One thing I have learned is that everything is OK......until it is not.
Wishing a fast recovery for you and the bike. ;)
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »
thanks guys!
John L 

Online Gustav

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 08:40:03 PM »
Yikes! Glad you're o-k. Paul

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 08:55:52 PM »
Man S$$T happens Quick, hoping you have a speedy recovery.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 09:57:05 PM »
So sorry to hear this, but I’m glad that you are ok beyond superficial flesh wounds. I know some people will say that you were probably in shock and should have gone in the ambulance to be checked out. But I am sure that I would have done the same as you, get the bike running and get back in the saddle and take care of the bike. Sounds you took the proper course of hydrotherapy and medicinal spirits. Just think: it could have been your SuperSport.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:58:35 PM by Kane »
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 10:17:54 PM »
Damn, good reminder to be careful out there. Glad to hear it wasn't any more serious than it was.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 10:29:26 PM »
You lost an earplug?  Man, that bites....

Seriously- glad you are ok.  And thanks for the report; it will help others. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 04:19:03 AM »
Heal quickly, John!

Hope you can repair bike
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 04:35:58 AM »
What is your opinion on modular helmets after testing one “in the field……”  :popcorn:

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 06:23:05 AM »
I’m so glad this ended up only with bumps and bruises LR.  If you weren’t wearing gear you would probably be much more uncomfortable. If the helmet has any dents I’d hang it on the wall as a reminder and buy a new one.  This is a sobering reminder of what we face every day.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 06:36:54 AM »
Glad to hear it wasnt as bad as it could have been. My biggest fear is not so much the going down, but as you said, whats coming up the road behind me!!!  Good luck, and I hope the delayed future pain [we all know its coming in a day or two!!] is not that bad.
Paul B

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2022, 06:56:55 AM »
Get well soon !

:bike-037:

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2022, 07:21:05 AM »
Thankfully it wasn't any worse.  It sounds like you are in the most painful stage right now.  Hopefully things will improve every day. I am very glad the helmet kept you alive.

I have avoided owning a modular helmet and after reading this I have another reason to avoid them.  I hadn't thought about riding with the chin bar up but realize that I would probably do the same thing on a hot day. I think I will be better off not having that option.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2022, 08:59:28 AM »

As described.

Lowryter, thanks for sharing as a reminder that things can go wrong quickly.  Heal up and get back out there.

The fact that you could find a sheet metal screw is why I stay off the shoulder no matter what I am driving/riding.  Pull into a driveway or side street before stopping. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2022, 10:00:57 AM »
What is your opinion on modular helmets after testing one “in the field……”  :popcorn:

I'm all in.  Despite having the chinbar open it stuck out as a visor and largely protected my face.  I think it still opens and closes.  Yes, I should've had it closed.  I think my goatee protected my chin, it's scraped but not hamburger.  My nose is a little scaped. 

The worst is my forearm above my elbow.  It's wrapped and I don't want to look at it.  But it doesn't hurt too bad.  I must've fallen on it and it ripped the mesh jacket.

One hint, I have some Silvadene from another wreck (hot Yamaha engine fell on my open thigh wearing swim trunks, don't ask).  Anyway, it's the best for burns and scrapes. 

Good news, Cabellas has those earplug mold kits, going there this morning.

You know, folks can learn from my stupidity.  But I did a full work out at the gym in the morning and flew off the bike in the afternoon.  I looked in the mirror and I appeared to be 68 years old...I always though I looked 67.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 10:14:05 AM »
I wrongfully described the cloverleaf.  I was heading EAST on 10th (sorry, got that wrong).  The left lane goes into a left hand downhill cloverleaf (counterclockwise about a tight 120 degrees) and turns on to a north bound expressway (I-44).  Just by the state fairgrounds. 

You've got to trail brake it as it descends.   I had apexed and might've been gassing, perhaps going 40.  The bike scrapes the ground and I fly off and roll around a couple of times.   It's like, what's going on.  When we get the bike, I up a pull a roll plastic stuff on the caliper and in the front fender.  I can't remember seeing anything like it on the road.  I didn't consider it the cause until I got to the shop and was looking at the bike and then it occurred to me. 

The bike is in OK shape.  it's just the trim and windshield that took the brunt of it.  The only mark I saw on the paint was boot mark on the tank. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:16:43 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here