Author Topic: Swapping in a fuel injected engine  (Read 2022 times)

Offline R1100purist

• New Egg
Swapping in a fuel injected engine
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 1979 Convert that has seen better days but is mostly complete. The engine is mostly there but I am missing carbs, a lot of the intake paraphernalia, airbox, and distributor. So...I want to put a fuel injected motor from a later Guzzi and gain all the niceties of FI combined with the Convert running gear. So multi part question:
1. What years of 1100 motor am I looking for? I am thinking an early 2000s California 1100, but will a 2004ish V11 Ballabio/Lemans/Sport work as well?
2. I know I will have to swap the front timing cover and camshaft from a Convert in order to drive the ATF pump, anything else I am missing?
3. For the engine swap I will need, ECU (I hear there are 2 versions from this era 1 big and 1 small), wiring harness, throttle bodies (are these all the same from that era), fuel pump, fuel regulator, and fuel pump.
4. I tried searching for a similar swap but couldn't find anything. Is there anything online or stories you can share I can wholesale copy what you did?

Thanks for the help!
Owen

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
Re: Swapping in a fuel injected engine
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »
I'm trying to do the something along the same lines except I'm using an Eldo frame. My home flooded a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to get back on track. Your setup has a few more restrictions than my setup. My explanation is theorectical since I haven't completed my proof of life.
The engine can be 1998 ish thru  2008ish. I'm using the 15 ECU. Guzzi, Ducati and Aprilia? used them. Other brands need to be flashed to Moto Guzzi. I'm running a Cal Vintage wiring harness, coils handelbar switches. The Cal Vintage doesn't run the later model need for a particular dash. The setupname just escapes me. I also have CalVin manifolds/throttle body/injectors. All the FI/Wiring stuff was acquired pretty cheaply. I'm using a brand new Breva 2V 1200? motor. An Alternator motor would require some mod's to work in a Tonti frame. I have heard of someone using an electric pump for the convert trans.
The pump front cover "may " bolt onto a 1100 motor ..just don't know. If you are in a hurry you will pay quite bit for stuff. A few years back a wreck Quota went for cheap. Last year a wrecked Norge went very cheap like less than $300. It was in a very Northern state. A norge owner with a blown motor snagged it. It happened to be located near him. I love a happy ending when you have a expensive disaster that can fixed for cheaply. Good Luck! Bless you for thinking out of the box.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 06:55:12 AM »
Brad.. Fotoguzzi on this site.. has done that. He'll be along shortly.
I have everything you need to make it run including the injectors from the Aero Engine. All of it is new. You would have to make your own harness, though. I sold the old P8 computer to a guy that needed it, but you wouldn't be able to fit that big sucker anyway.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Your plan would be Much easier if you can find a crashed bike, 2000-2004 with the 15m CPU.
To buy all the parts individually off eBay will be very expensive, I would want a starting platform so I could transfer everything over and understand the fitment etc all at once. Google Guzzi salvage.
The problem with a Lemans or V11 will be the oil cooler since your Vert already uses the space for ATF cooler.
Another thing is condition of the Convert running gear, if high miles how are the U joint and rear drive splines? Those parts are super expensive too.
https://www.salvageworldauctions.com/login.php?Bk=Ref&vehid=I24244482&url=/salvage-auction/2003-moto-guzzi-ev/I24244482/phoenix-az

https://www.salvagebikesauction.com/vehicle_detail/Salvage-2003-Moto+Guzzi-CALIFORNIA-for-Sale/lot-34469249/Bridgeton-Missouri?search=1-1

It can be done,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »

Offline R1100purist

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:39:38 PM »
Hi All,

Brad thanks again for all your helpful emails. I think you're right, finding a salavage 1100 is the way to go. I am intrigued by the EV Motors and their hydraulic cam followers as I think that would suit the nature of the Convert as a mild mannered smooth cruiser (in the literal sense of the word). I understand that as long as they had the 2005 era recall done they can be very reliable as well.

I'm moving to Virginia Beach from California next month so all my projects are getting packed up/put on hiatus but in the mean time I can do research and try to find a good donor salvage bike.

Best,
Owen

Offline R1100purist

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 12:24:32 AM »
Also has anyone used those salvage motorcycle sites, they all seem a little shady to me. Any recommendations?

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 07:59:05 AM »
My Cal was an insurance total. I bought it as-is from a local no brand shop that buys wrecks, repo's, and theft recoveries from those salvage auctions. Some of the bikes were pretty undamaged, some were just parts bikes. Mine had been hit in the rear, and needed just a back fender and taillight to make it roadworthy.
Larry
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:11:33 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline R1100purist

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 12:10:45 AM »
New question, so part of this conversion will be machining (EDM) the 1100 EV cam nose so it can accept the hex bit to drive the ATF pump. I Have looked around but have not seen if it's possible to remove the cam shaft and leave the heads, push rods, followers, and tapets in Situ?

LesP

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:21:32 AM »
The push rods would have to be removed and some means to hold the followers out of the way of the lobes.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 01:07:30 AM »
For instructions on how to pull the cam with out removing a bunch of stuff. Search for the EV Hydro upgrade instructions. You use clips and rubber bands if I remember right to hold the lifters.

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 02:11:41 AM »
New question, so part of this conversion will be machining (EDM) the 1100 EV cam nose so it can accept the hex bit to drive the ATF pump. I Have looked around but have not seen if it's possible to remove the cam shaft and leave the heads, push rods, followers, and tapets in Situ?
The crank nose will be an issue as well I think as the 1100's used a Ducati alternator.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 02:14:23 AM »
You can use magnetic sticks through the pushrod holes to hold the followers up. WCS you can drop the sump and refit them from below.

Ciao

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »
Someone suggested using an electric pump, I've been told the oil pump is just for circulation not for high power, don't take my word for it though I am not Converted yet.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:58 AM »
The Ducati alternator will work fine, no problem there.

I wouldn't mess with an electric pump for the ATF.. just adds more complications.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 06:57:31 PM »
The Ducati alternator will work fine, no problem there.

I wouldn't mess with an electric pump for the ATF.. just adds more complications.
Will the long crank nose and Ducati Alternator work with the Convert front cover though?

Ciao

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 07:05:46 PM »
Will the long crank nose and Ducati Alternator work with the Convert front cover though?

Ciao

Yes, nothing is different. The Ducati stator bolts directly to the cover, the front seal is exactly the same size.
Charlie

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
Yes, nothing is different. The Ducati stator bolts directly to the cover, the front seal is exactly the same size.
OK cool, thanks. I think I have a different image in my head of a convert than the reality.

Ciao

Offline R1100purist

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 01:38:01 AM »
Nice! Thanks for the replies again, I'm still doing my homework for this project as this quarantine is keeping me away from where my projects are.

I will look into some sorta magnetic rod setup to hold the followers. Alternatively I can always drop the sump as mentioned and refit from there.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here