Author Topic: Wannabe guitar pickers  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wannabe guitar pickers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
I'll never be in that league but I'll keep picking away anyway.

Tal Wilkenfeld is incredible.  From the 2007 Crossroads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgffDVO2UyA

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »

Tobit

Freakin' Kids :( :( :( :( ;D

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
Back in the day, I was going to be the world's best guitar player.  ;D Even placed first at a Midwest regional contest at Kings Island. Practiced for hours a day for years.  :o Finally realized that I was just a "mechanic" and didn't have any talent.. settled for being the best guitar player on the block.  :D
It just comes out of the ether to "real" guitar players.. they are/were *way* out of my league.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »

redrider

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
Yeah, I play at it too but when it comes to bikes, Rossi ain't got squat on me.  :BEER:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
Tal Wilkenfeld is incredible.  From the 2007 Crossroads.

A few years ago, before I knew who Tal was, I watched a video and immediately said "Who is that on bass?"  She does some of the cleanest and coolest sounding bass I've ever heard.  It's an interesting story about how she started out on lead guitar, and her friends told her she played guitar like a bass player and should try that.

Good one, John, thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:08:37 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:57 PM »
 ;-T

Jeff Beck 1976 OKC (Blow by Blow tour)
Jeff Beck  / Jan Hammer 1977 OKC (Wired tour)
Jeff Beck / Stevie Ray Vaughn 1989 St Louis (Guitar Shop tour)

perhaps another show somewhere in the ether
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »
Yea, I've been a guitar owner for about 35 years. I sure wish I could play the damn things!
Kirk

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
Yea, I've been a guitar owner for about 35 years. I sure wish I could play the damn things!

Yep I have had one axe or the other since I was 13 or 14. Love to watch and listen but can't play for shart.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »

Tobit

She is great, I'm starting to get pumped about seeing Jeff in May. (Already)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
It just comes out of the ether to "real" guitar players.. they are/were *way* out of my league.

Chuck, my theory is that many/most guys who are truly world class with an instrument have trouble coping with life and use the instrument to escape.  Since they spend most of their waking hours playing, they get pretty darned good after a while.  I also believe that's why you see so much drug use and abuse in that group.  Not just because they get famous and rich, but because it's another way of escaping.  Since you clearly had other interests and were good at them, it didn't leave you 16 hours/day to play guitar.

It also applies to comedians, actors, and pretty much anyone who becomes the world's best at something.  Not always, but often, and natural talent and aptitude has to be there too, of course.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
Chuck, my theory is that many/most guys who are truly world class with an instrument have trouble coping with life and use the instrument to escape.  Since they spend most of their waking hours playing, they get pretty darned good after a while.  I also believe that's why you see so much drug use and abuse in that group.  Not just because they get famous and rich, but because it's another way of escaping.  Since you clearly had other interests and were good at them, it didn't leave you 16 hours/day to play guitar.

It also applies to comedians, actors, and pretty much anyone who becomes the world's best at something.  Not always, but often, and natural talent and aptitude has to be there too, of course.

I agree we have a local guitarist (I won't say his name) who has about as much skill as any of the big time pickers. But he's a social misfit. he does a gig and goes home and that's about it. (Since the late 70's)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
Chuck, my theory is that many/most guys who are truly world class with an instrument have trouble coping with life and use the instrument to escape.  Since they spend most of their waking hours playing, they get pretty darned good after a while.  I also believe that's why you see so much drug use and abuse in that group.  Not just because they get famous and rich, but because it's another way of escaping.  Since you clearly had other interests and were good at them, it didn't leave you 16 hours/day to play guitar.

It also applies to comedians, actors, and pretty much anyone who becomes the world's best at something.  Not always, but often, and natural talent and aptitude has to be there too, of course.

I mentored a kid named Charlie for several years. Heard him playing at a music store, just sitting around noodling. He *had* it. He was doing acid at the time. Talked to him about that. He was going to "Do the next great rock opera, man.." He used to ride his bicycle to my place to listen to great players on the Stereo that he'd never heard of. To make a *really* long story short, he died before his time. Heart attack. Took the joy of music right out of me.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
 Two words , Charlie Parker .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
No joy in music? Not sure how I would handle that.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »
No joy in music? Not sure how I would handle that.

I didn't and still don't do well..there's more to the story,  but there are other avenues for creative juices.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »
Guitar players, like  anyone at the pinnacle of excellence of any endeavour, it is not an interest, or even a passion, but an obsession. It is that level of focus and drive it takes to get to the level of excellent.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
Two words , Charlie Parker .

Dusty

Sax player Charlie Parker...?   ???  I like jazz too but this is about guitars... Ok, music...  ;D

I too have been a hacker for years.  Just bought another Alvarez out here in SoCal just to have one out here. 

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
Guitar players, like  anyone at the pinnacle of excellence of any endeavour, it is not an interest, or even a passion, but an obsession. It is that level of focus and drive it takes to get to the level of excellent.

Geez truck, you're typing like you just digested the entire funk and wagnels encyclopedia. Have you not had any of the old loud mouth tonight?

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
Sax player Charlie Parker...?   ???  I like jazz too but this is about guitars... Ok, music...  ;D

I too have been a hacker for years.  Just bought another Alvarez out here in SoCal just to have one out here. 

Yeah , different ax , same personality type as was mentioned earlier . Like many here , I played at being a musician in my youth , and like most , didn't ever have that "thing" . 'I coulda been a contenda"  ;D

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »
Yeah , different ax , same personality type as was mentioned earlier . Like many here , I played at being a musician in my youth , and like most , didn't ever have that "thing" . 'I coulda been a contenda"  ;D

Dusty

You ain't got a thing if you ain't got that schwing.

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
You ain't got a thing if you ain't got that schwing.

Yeah , and once I figured out that motorcycles were effective at attracting the fairer sex ... well   ;) :D

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »
Yeah, I play at it too but when it comes to bikes, Rossi ain't got squat on me.  :BEER:
LOL that was good!

lately I prefer Doc Watson.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
I'm in the same league with most of the others here.  Owned at least one guitar for over 50 years.  I enjoy it, but don't have any real talent.  It's also gotten a little harder since I broke my left hand last year.  I have been known to play at a campfire without being run off.  The secret is to wait until everyone's had a chance to down a few before you pick up the guitar.

My favorite guitarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
lately I prefer Doc Watson.

We saw Doc and his Son and the band in our little town years ago, wow, must be thirty years now...

My favorite guitarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

Wow...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:39:53 PM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
We saw Doc and his Son and the band in our little town years ago, wow, must be thirty years now...

Wow...

I've been fortunate enough to see doc and Merle many times. Saw doc at merlefest his last year. Those boys were heavy hitters for sure.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »
OK I'll bite. Began geetar playing aged 15 in 1968, learned classical, played rock , learned Double Bass, played that in a couple of orchestras and later in bands. But then I started making instruments and repairing them.
Been at it now for nearly 42 years. These days my playing is in tatters though with work I could probably get back to playing in a restaurant standard. The great players are way above me. But I'm happy with the sound my newest guitars are getting.
These French blokes market a lot of Aussie guitars in Europe. They do a nice job on the recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VoFOQCJU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL7HJ8Xbc3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gezuqpxvYl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjIRlf7MkaE

www.kellawayguitars .com

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »
I mentored a kid named Charlie for several years. Heard him playing at a music store, just sitting around noodling. He *had* it. He was doing acid at the time. Talked to him about that. He was going to "Do the next great rock opera, man.." He used to ride his bicycle to my place to listen to great players on the Stereo that he'd never heard of. To make a *really* long story short, he died before his time. Heart attack. Took the joy of music right out of me.

:(

That was pretty heart wrenching Chuck.

I am not really good at guitar... but it makes me happy when the anxiety creeps up.

Going to play guitar "live" for a hair salon place today... first time in front of strangers or a group...

Two songs = free (Guzzi content) haircut.   ;-T

-Joe

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Not a player but an avid listener.  Here's an interesting video on one of my favorite guitarist/composers Mark Knopfler and the 6 most important guitars in his career.  Very interesting take on a musical career so give it a look.
Gian4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OT_FSWrIE

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
:(

That was pretty heart wrenching Chuck.

I am not really good at guitar... but it makes me happy when the anxiety creeps up.

Going to play guitar "live" for a hair salon place today... first time in front of strangers or a group...

Two songs = free (Guzzi content) haircut.   ;-T

-Joe

Charlie was. He lived on the edge for a long time. Some times I'd get a call at 2 am just wanting to talk. The last few years, he'd straightened out his act, had his own jazz band, and was bringing in the crowds. Whenever he saw Dorcia and I in the crowd, he'd introduce me, say what a great guitar player I was (I wasn't) etc. When he died suddenly, something snapped in me. I haven't been interested in music since.. oh, I can appreciate great musicians, but the fire is gone.

Playing live? Your first gig??  ;D ;D Priceless.  ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here