Author Topic: Wanted: Long-Distance Comfort and High-Speed Stability  (Read 25877 times)

Offline guzzied

• Hatchling
Re: Wanted: Long-Distance Comfort and High-Speed Stability
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
What year Norge do you have?

I purchased a 2014 Norge about 6 weeks ago and I have been making suspension tweaks to fit my weight and riding style. What I didn't like about the stock setup was the huge amount of fork dive while braking and also the bike felt like the steering was sluggish (slow turn in), the bike also kicked me off the saddle a few times on big dips in the road and when hitting pot holed roads in California, the bike seemed like it had no suspension (meaning stiff).

I checked the owners manual and set the bike's front suspension preload and the rear shocks rebound and spring preload, yes, it was way off from the dealer. Rode it for a few hundred miles, still had too much fork dive and the rear suspension would kick me off the saddle. Talked to Todd at Guzzi Tech, he suggested the Matris fork kit and also a rear shock replacement.  Whoa, I just purchased a new bike and I did not want to dump a bunch of money into a new bike, so I just went with the Matris fork kit fitted for my weight (220 with leathers/helmet/boots). Road it for another hundred miles, still had too much fork dive in my opinion. The front brake was to me, an on off switch, just a tap of the front brake lever sent the front end diving. So hard to be smooth!  I went the next cheaper way and replaced the front brake pads as the stock pads were the Brembo HH compound pads, while much better at modulation, there was still a noticeable front end dive in needed fast stops.  Next I tried going up in fork oil wt, went from the recommended oil that Matris called for (10 wt. to 15wt), now it feels much better. Better meaning that it still could be better. I checked the bikes rear suspension sag and ended up adjusting the rear shock spring load to max to achieve 1 1/4" rear sag. I also slid the front forks up about 10mm. to quicken the steering.

I just rode the bike over the weekend 500 miles to the Nevada Campout up Highway 4 and what a difference. The bike feels balanced front to rear, yes, it still has a little too much fork dive in my taste, but we went the right direction. I was never kicked off the seat, there were some major steep road sections that quickly went up and I could feel the bike's suspension compress to it's stops with out due effect.

The bike has always been stable at speed, and I did hit 110 mph on the way home, so I'm really enjoying the bike!  Next I'm thinking I will try the Racetech Emulators in the front forks to see if I can get rid of the fork dive that still throws the steering angle off way to much while braking hard into a turn. I know, I'm just trying to get this bike to handle as well as my 03 Rosso Corsa with Ohlin's suspension.

And yes, this bike gets blown around in wind, by huge trucks, in a head wind there is some major buffering, I'm thinking of cutting down the front wind screen as the wind hits my shoulders which places inputs to the handlebars, just my thinking!

Mike
Mike Stewart

Sold  2000 Green V11 Sport
        2000 Jackal V1100 Cafe Project
        2002 Ghezzi Brian
        2002 California Special Sport 
        2003 Rosso Corsa

Ride 2002 EV Sport Custom
       2003 EV Touring Custom
       2014 Norge 8V

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »
go Greyhound
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
go Greyhound

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tried that once , the poor little buggers are fast , but the saddle kept coming loose  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Solojoe

• New Egg
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
2007 Norge 1200 - new to me this season. I find the bike is very stable at any speed - top box and all. I'm 5'7"/160 and fit the bike well. Only one long day (1100km) so far - was bagged when got to bed after 1 AM - that wasn't the bike's problem but the 40C and then 5 hours of heavy rain. Much better than the BMW K1100RS I rode for 100K. 
4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
My Norge is so unstable and uncomfortable, I can only ride it 35,000 miles a year.  :grin:

And I used to sell Victory bikes (along with Indian, MG, Aprilia, others) - they and Indian are may favorites among cruisers (after the Cali 1400), but I wouldn't hold them up as paragons for handling. Stability, yes - but then again, a 1964 Sedan de Ville is stable too (once you fix the steering).

35,000 miles a year!?!

How many miles do you have on it total?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »

35,000 miles a year!?!

How many miles do you have on it total?

Right now, about 100,000 - but 2014 was a bad year, only managed about 10,000 that year. Peak year was 38,000, most years it's somewhat less. I got it new (old stock) in mid-2011, and starting in 2012 began using it as my Iron Butt long distance bike. By December, I should have another 6-10,000 on it, depending on how much time I can get away from work. Should get my average back up!

Somebody told me Moto Guzzis were reliable...  :rolleyes:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »
Right now, about 100,000 - but 2014 was a bad year, only managed about 10,000 that year. Peak year was 38,000, most years it's somewhat less. I got it new (old stock) in mid-2011, and starting in 2012 began using it as my Iron Butt long distance bike. By December, I should have another 6-10,000 on it, depending on how much time I can get away from work. Should get my average back up!

Somebody told me Moto Guzzis were reliable...  :rolleyes:

Impressive!

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
Greetings!

My 2014 Norge is lot of fun, but it is not very comfortable after 100 miles or so, and it is pretty unstable above 65 miles per hour. I would like a motorcycle that is comfortable for three hours at a stretch (at least 150 miles) and is rock solid on the freeway at 75 miles per hour. Unfortunately, my Norge is neither. It is great around town and on back roads, and it is comfortable enough for shorter distances, but it is exhausting and painful to ride more than 100 miles at a stretch, and it is surprisingly unstable at 70 to 80 miles per hour. (Strangely, it becomes stable again at 90 miles per hour!)

The cockpit is frankly just too cramped for me. I am 5' 10" tall, with a 31 inch inseam, and a little under 200 pounds sans gear. And the winds and turbulence on the freeway at 75 miles per hour bounce me all over my lane.

I no longer have an automobile, so I am relying upon my Norge as my daily driver. (My wife has a new truck for when my Moto Guzzi is in the shop!) I need to be able to ride in comfort at high speed for three hours at a stretch, in the dark and in the rain. I also need hard, locking panniers.

Any thoughts? Would the Stelvio be better, or the California 1400 Touring? Or perhaps a Road King, R 1200 RT, or Trophy SE?

Thanks!

I am about the same size as you. I added a California Scientific windshield (medium I think) which greatly reduced buffeting and lowered the foot pegs which greatly reduced leg cramping and I am quite happy with the results. The Moto Guzzi gel seat is also a worthwhile upgrade.

Regarding your stability concerns . . . I have never had any problems at high speed.

I previously rode a Stelvio (2009 and 2012), which would give you more leg room, and it is slightly more stable at high speed due to wider bars and more weight.

Check with the dealer and see if your suspension is set up properly.
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here