Author Topic: Wahoo-whoop we're off to the drag strip...8 sec 1/4 mile Kawa, cl, new haven  (Read 2475 times)

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
  He is telling fibs or is referring to a 1/8 mile drag strip.  There is no way that bike can turn a 1/4 mile drag  strip in the 8 second bracket. 
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Using the 1/8th mile calculator, the Aero Lario should do under 8 seconds.. :smiley: Wonder if he wants to race?  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Well, it might run high 8.90s, as it's no longer a 1000 cc engine and I'm sure it's been leaned on pretty heavily.
Those old air cooled Kwackas and Zooks could make some pretty serious power.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
Come on Chuck you know you want it.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Rough Edge racing

I don't know about that bike running in the 8's maybe 9's.....Anyway, this video shows a lot of high 8 runs on newer stuff...No wheelie bar class...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdLuq3F4ss

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
It's red not green.  :azn:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  I remember double A fuel drag racing machines that turned the 1/4 in 9 plus with a terminal speed close to 200 MPH.  That bike is not going to beat them, he's telling fibs.
 Kwakers were the first off the shelf bikes to break the 12 second barrier but 9 seconds is a whole nuther world.

oldbike54

I remember double A fuel drag racing machines that turned the 1/4 in 9 plus with a terminal speed close to 200 MPH.  That bike is not going to beat them, he's telling fibs.
 Kwakers were the first off the shelf bikes to break the 12 second barrier but 9 seconds is a whole nuther world.

Jim , I hate to tell you this , but the 9 second TF era ended in about 1968 , Boris Murray was running low to mid 8's by 1970 or so , and the Hog Slayer was in the 7's . This Kawasaki at 1300  CC's probably made as much HP as Murray's dual engined Triumph .

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  I'd have to see it.  Bikes that can do what you say would have special long frame and huge rear tire.
 An ordinary shaped bike would wheelie too easy or not have the traction.  I still think he fibbed.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  Okay my figures were in the past so here are real drag bikes.  Note the frames and wheels, and what they call engines that run on nitromethane.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npNkwVw-V5I

oldbike54

Okay my figures were in the past so here are real drag bikes.  Note the frames and wheels, and what they call engines that run on nitromethane.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npNkwVw-V5I

Yeah , but look at the ET's those bikes are capable of , I think the bike TF record is close to 5.70 now. The Kwacker for sale is in a drag bike frame that is probably 6 inches over stock with a large rear tire. Not sure about HP , but the AMA 1025 CC superbikes of that era were making about 130 HP and had to last roadrace distances . So extrapolating from that , let's say at 1300 CC's running 14:1 compression , maybe 170 HP . More than enough to run high 8's .

Dusty
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:13:46 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Here are a couple of my favorite 8 sec. bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YVmYHlnb4

And from the rider's point of view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6KEZJ0C3M
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:07:57 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

Wow Jim ! Fill us in , what kind of displacement is the 8.58 running ? Guessing the engine must be developing 190 HP or so .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Oh, I'm not sure, but probably under 800cc and probably under 160 hp, starting out as an H2.  The bike is pretty light... I'm sure it's in the 300-400 lb range.  Bill Baxter builds good drag engines, and Joe Byrd knows his way around driving them too.  Gary Connors in the 2nd video is a colorful guy who just likes to drag race his H2 for fun.  The record for an unblown 750cc motorcycle is held by Larry Smith, with Brian Pretzel driving.  It's an H2 with nitrous, and ran 7.77 at 170 mph.  The old 2-strokes can still run.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:29:22 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Rough Edge racing

Jim , I hate to tell you this , but the 9 second TF era ended in about 1968 , Boris Murray was running low to mid 8's by 1970 or so , and the Hog Slayer was in the 7's . This Kawasaki at 1300  CC's probably made as much HP as Murray's dual engined Triumph .

Dusty

I believe Murray's top speed on his double Triumph was close to 180 mph... His pre unit 750 or 800 cc Triumphs made about 120 HP each on 90 percent nitromethane....Kee p in mind that Murray's bike, like the earlier top fuel drag bikes , was the last of the no gearbox drag bikes. Wheel spin was used in place of a gear box, the rear tire smoking for an 1/8 mile..His rear slick was only 4 inches wide...
  This famous photo of Murray is why he was popular...Modern bikes may be faster but not as exciting to watch....

Today there are showroom stock 600 cc sport bikes that with an expert rider, can run low 10's in the 1/4 mile...1000 cc bikes in the 9's and holy crap, 11 second Guzzi's!  These are fast times.....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:50:59 AM by Rough Edge racing »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here