Author Topic: Wanted opinions on Breva 750 with Vetter fairing  (Read 3032 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Wanted opinions on Breva 750 with Vetter fairing
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »

I've been waitng for the time to play with this idea, a Vetter Quicksilver  fairing mounted on a 750 Breva.
So here's your chance to chime in with a thumb up or down weather I should proceed with this project.

The Quicksilver is a lighter fairing and was originally designed for the 400cc - 650 cc bikes of the late 70s to mid 80s vintage,it's not as big or heavy as the standard Vetter Wind jammers,

Suprizingly it mounted right up to Breva frame with a mounting bracket from a Kawasaki KZ550 no modifications needed for the bracket. But to make this work I will have to change the mounting of the voltage regulator( no big deal)  the biggest modification will be to the fake  gas tank pieces on the front and lower sides of the gas tank, I have some ideas about doing this that should be fairly easy.
So here are a couple pictures of it with a National cycle plexiglass fairing and the Quick silver, you will have to use your imagination of the final look I don't have a windshield for it yet.
Oh I'm also thinking I'd like to paint it the beautiful Red color to match the bike.

I'd like to  hear comments form any and all please.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:30:17 PM by drdwb »
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wanted opinions on Breva 750 with Vetter fairing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »
Painted to match would make it look  :thumb: .  Never had a Quicksilver so no comment.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
 A buddy runs one on his 360 Honda commuter bike , works and looks fine .

Dusty

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
 :1: for a re-paint. 
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:04 PM »
This setup could be done but I have a 750 Breva with a Rifle  Sport fairing that is much lighter and gives the same wind protection.  In fact I've had my same Rifle fairing on a CX100 and Convert. before the Breva.  :smiley:  You can still get it with different height windshields.  I have always used the 15" shield.  This fairing is a handlebar mount. I've had both frame & bar mounts and can't really tell a lot of difference except that with bar mounts when you turn the handlebar the headlight turns too.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »
I like, if it bolts right up get a w/s and try it before investing in paint..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
I like it too.  But, I am partial to frame mounted fairings of just about any type, including Windjammers.

Before I decided on the SPIII fairing I had access to a Quicksilver I was going to mount on the T5.  Will be interested on how it works.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:52:21 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 08:55:44 PM »
I had a Quicksilver on my 1980 Honda 750F. Big :thumb: 26 thousand miles on it in 1 year (my personal record). Yup, go for it!
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
I have a tough time wrapping my head around the conflicting styles/lines.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
I have a tough time wrapping my head around the conflicting styles/lines.

Todd.

Beauty is as beauty does, in my book.   And if this fairing makes your bike more usable, protective, and rideable, then I say go for it, even if the look isn't perfect.

After you get home from a long ride a little drier and a little less fatigued, you'll stand back and look at the bike and fairing, and it'll be lovely .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
I am not familiar with fairings but it looks like it might block or deflect airflow to the cylinder heads.  Love the paint on your Breva.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »
I like the windjammer on the right bikes, and I run a Calafia variant on my Convert.  Galen has a Luftmeister on his /7 and it looks right.  IMO this one's lines don't work with the Breva.  There may be another variant, like a Pacifico, that would have a less startling difference from the rest of the bike. If you want to keep this one for its advantages but wanted it to blend in better, maybe recontouring the angles to compliment the lines of the bike would work, or at the very least painting everything to minimize the panel style differences.  Matching bags would help too.  Ok. maybe not.  Just putting it out there.  Remember - the style theme of my last project was "Mad Max Meets Model A:. So maybe I'm not the right guy to ask.   :undecided:

But the bottom line is, does it work for you?  It's got good weather protection, storage, and it is frame mounted.  Set up properly you can smoke behind it at speed, they are very quiet, and your jacket seldom gets wet in the rain until you stop.  If you've got nothing better and you need those things, do you really care if the angles don't match?

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »
It's hanging too low.  Not by just a little, either - maybe as much as a foot, I can't judge from here.  If it has to move farther forward to clear the tank, that's probably a good thing too.  Functionally, it shouldn't block air flow to the cylinder heads, but there's more that has to do with wind protection, and esthetics - it will look better.

Crude mock-up, could perhaps go a bit higher than this -

free image hosting
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:42:32 AM by donn »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Depending on it's weight it can effect the handling of your bike.  My Rifle abs sport fairing is light and has 2 pockets for storage w/o altering the handling of my 750 Breva in a negative way.  It gives me complete upper body weather protection.   If it didn't work so good I wouldn't have used it on 3 different bikes.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Ok guys and gals I'm looking for more feed back before I proceed.
I took Donns and Neverquits suggestions and raised the fairing up, to do this I had to modify the mounting bracket and Lt still wasn't enough so if you look under the fairing you can see aluminum tube 2 inches which brought it up enough to give it the right angle. I also had to modify the headlight bracket,so lucky I found a used one to play with than I also had to modify the  fairing bracket to mount the voltage regulator. I think raising it helped address Rodekylls concern about conflicting lines nicely. I also have to modify a used set of the fake lower gas tank side panels,I also believe original parts should be kept in case a future owner wants to return it to original.

So I'm asking for suggestions on height of windshield 22 inches puts it just under the eye nose level, 25 inches goes to about the forehead height.

Also looking for suggestions on head light should I use the Vetter stock rectangular or go with the original Round Breva headlight bucket.
I'm planning on painting the fairing the Beautiful Breva Red color,

I'm looking at different turn indicators ,

I also think a pair of Hepco 30 liter bags with the color matching inserts would fit.
I've put on a set of the 40 liter bags but it really makes the Butt stick out and detracts from the light sport touring theme I'm trying for..
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Dave.

<, :1:,br, />
l

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:03:09 PM by drdwb »
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
The 40L bags are pretty wide.  Go for the smaller ones.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »
Thanks Tom
I kinda decided that after trying to get on and off with the 40s on.
Anyone hear of a nice condition pair of 30 liter Hepco Becker junior bags for sale let me know please.

Here is what it looks like with the fake gas tank lowers back on.
I'm likening the looks.

twowings

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
It does complement the original lines of the bike...I think it's going to turn out well...if it were me, and we all know it's not, I would go with a smoked windshield!  :cool:

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 06:45:46 AM »
Your bike, your taste and vision. Take the opinions but do as You want. As most things,..the FULL spectrum of taste are interesting and somewhat helpful, but Do YOUR thing! Now here's my take,..My Vetter on my V7C gave Great protection from the elements. The only trade off , at least on my bike , was increased engine noise funneled up to my ears. I'm sure that issue depends on the application and may not happen in other combinations. Most, maybe 90% of opinion from critics was negative as to the appearance, but for me I liked how it looked and functioned. I don't like the wind pushing me or the bugs and rain. Your application? for me? the angular "wedge" shape of a Vetter doesn't compliment your bike's lines, But, just one more opinion. Have fun and make it your own!

Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »
I still like it.  Round vs square headlight?  Pick the one that looks the best.

Have you ridden with a fairing before?  Like above, it changes the sounds you hear.  May not get as much wind noise, but, you get more engine and exhaust noise.  With some tires you get a lot of road noise.  I like it that way, some don't.

Windshield height.  Usually for me they work the best when at nose level.  Depending on the shield, how high it is, the angle, and how far away from the helmet it is will dictate that airflow around your head.  If it is off by as little as an inch it will mean more or less wind noise and/or buffeting.  So, experimentation is the key.  I would get the lower one first and see where the wind hits the helmet.  If it works then keep it.  If not then get the larger one (you can always tape on a piece of plexi to see if a larger screen would work better.  And, some like to cut down the windscreen so the airflow is just off the chest.  I have not had good luck with that method but it is personal preference.  If you have a spare shield you can also try JB's solution to dirty air.  The drilling method.  Lots of holes  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Here is what it looks like with the fake gas tank lowers back on.
I'm likening the looks.

Yes, it does add up pretty well there.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here