Author Topic: Wanna' meet up ?  (Read 3547 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Wanna' meet up ?
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
For a while now I've wanted to float the idea of a decent ride with as many as possible forum members. Without going into all the details just yet, the plan is to throw a dart at the calendar and pick a date and a meeting place and leave from there. It's easy these days to ship your bike anywhere and arrange your flights to suit. The type of thing I'd say yes to would be something like.... "Meet you at Mc Donald's in Felixstowe on Midday on July 1 2017, and we'll go to Nordkapp, or Sicily, or Stelvio or....." and then we could ride down to Dover and onto the Channel ferry as a mob. I've done it before and it works great !! I have the details of a company who ships my Norge every year to Europe from Australia. For you guys in the States it's out of Seattle, and in England it's Felixstowe. I haven't been around here very long but suffice to say that I've followed the progress of many members who've "farkled" their bikes up to the point where they're just begging to be taken for a BIG ride. There'll be responses to this post saying things like, "Huzo, it's not that easy to arrange for everyone to meet at a certain place at the one time", to that I'd say BS.. all you have to do is arrange for ONE and that's you! Remember the saying that says, if everyone cleans their own doorstep you'll have an instantly clean world. I'm not suggesting anything that's difficult, just happens that you'll remember it for the rest of your life. Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as the next guy to ride 100 miles for a coffee and home for dinner, but how about a decent one ??? I don't expect much response 'cos it sounds a bit crazy, but as I said, I've done it before, I meet a guy outside the Rotterdam maritime museum at Midday on a pre determined date just by doing exactly as I suggested earlier. It was all done by e mail from here in Oz by me and him in Holland, I got there at 11.45 on the nominated day and wandered over the road to to get a coffee, while the cappuccino machine was heating the milk, My attention was drawn to a BMW R1200GS pulling up at the opposite kerb, at 11.55, I'm not exaggerating for effect, that's what happened, you could e mail him to check, these days all you need is a bike, TomTom (or Garmin), mobile 'phone, e mail , wallet and passport and you can be anywhere at whatever time you want. So,  what do y'all say ??? Now, let me guess......Tick, tick, tick.

oldbike54

Re: Wanna' meet up ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
 And about $10K to blow ...

Dusty

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »
My local airport (Newburgh NY) is starting $69 flights to Norway...
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline BAT 11

• New Egg
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
Hi Huzo,    Read your post re the long ride.  Prob not for me as costs are up there.  Iam seeking expressions of interest from members interested in doing a run to Darwin and back next year.  Iam in Adelaide and have done this in 2010. Would be great to have a MG group.  Thinking maybe Mid April,early May 2017.    Cheers Ian

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:09 PM »
Hi Huzo,    Read your post re the long ride.  Prob not for me as costs are up there.  Iam seeking expressions of interest from members interested in doing a run to Darwin and back next year.  Iam in Adelaide and have done this in 2010. Would be great to have a MG group.  Thinking maybe Mid April,early May 2017.    Cheers Ian
Damn!!!! Double damn, my Norge will be on the water to UK. That would have been fantastic ! Maybe a club plate on the Mk 2 Le Mans.... Hmmmmmm??

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »
My local airport (Newburgh NY) is starting $69 flights to Norway...
Sorry Guzz, I think I missed the point. (Or one of us did )
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:15:37 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:31:52 PM »
And about $10K to blow ...

Dusty
While I admit you're not a long way off Dusty, what price did you factor in for shipping Seattle to Felixstowe and return ?

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
Saving my money for July 1, 2021  :grin:  But if you want to start riding from Seattle, you can always crash here then we can head out on the hwy.  Let me know.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »
Saving my money for July 1, 2021  :grin:  But if you want to start riding from Seattle, you can always crash here then we can head out on the hwy.  Let me know.
Thank you SED, I was absolutely in two minds whether to go to Europe again or exSeattle for Canada/Alaska and over to East Coast and across the middle. I've come down on the side of Europe but it was a near thing. For 2018 I'm thinking to ride a Honda CT110 from Cape Otway to Cape York which is Souther tip of Australia to extreme Northern Tip, 4,000 km each way on 110 cc's so that'll be an adventure but for 2019 possibly Northern America and CanadaAlaska.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:06:09 AM »
My "domestic leave manager" has already planned 2017 and I have a couple of missions identified (Wales on my own, France/Ireland/IOM (to be decided) with a mate plus a couple of other things)

However, if you end up near Lincolnshire give me a shout. I'm sure I'll be able to blag a day pass  :grin: :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:29:27 AM »
My "domestic leave manager" has already planned 2017 and I have a couple of missions identified (Wales on my own, France/Ireland/IOM (to be decided) with a mate plus a couple of other things)

However, if you end up near Lincolnshire give me a shout. I'm sure I'll be able to blag a day pass  :grin: :grin:
Wow thanks Tris ! I'll be landing Heathrow and picking up the Norge on or about August 1. I usually stay at Paul Harris' place (Corsa Italiana owner) in Epsom/ Surrey so a trot up to your place is not out of the question before Crossing to France. Also there's an open invitation from Old Jock to share a meal etc in Glasgow.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:11:57 AM »
Well if you do come north consider Hull - Zebrugge (or Rotterdam) for the ferry crossing.

Sail at 18:30 for Zebrugge and kip in a bunk on board after watching the "cabaret" and having a couple of drinkies

Have an "eat as much as you can breakfast" before  the boat docks and hit the road at 08:30

http://www.poferries.com/en/portal
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
I'm in western Germany. It mostly depends on my wife's health if I can do something like this. If her cancer isn't worse then I could probably meet you someplace in the EU.

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Hi BAT 11, I've just got my tickets for next year and will be at Heathrow on August 1. Subtracting the shipping time from that day, it may be possible to come on the Darwin ride if I'm welcome. I'll do some homework and stay in touch.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
I'm in western Germany. It mostly depends on my wife's health if I can do something like this. If her cancer isn't worse then I could probably meet you someplace in the EU.

Tom
That should be pretty easy to do, I will for sure stay in touch or you can keep on my case. What city do you live in Germany ? How far would you travel if health matters are not an issue and what bike would you be taking ? On a more important note, please accept my best wishes for your wife and hopefully continued happiness. Huzo.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:23:19 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Not taking the Norge to Europe 'till August so your ride isn't out of the question for me.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Wanna' meet up ?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
I try to get away for up to a week each year. Used to be quite long trips, 7000 to 8000 km, but I find I'm not going quite that far anymore.
I still have some holiday and business planning to do, but August might be pretty good timing for me. Let know when and where you'll be closer to the time.
I'm located close to Hamburg. (Stelvio)

Edit: cool idea by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:23:59 PM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
I try to get away for up to a week each year. Used to be quite long trips, 7000 to 8000 km, but I find I'm not going quite that far anymore.
I still have some holiday and business planning to do, but August might be pretty good timing for me. Let know when and where you'll be closer to the time.
I'm located close to Hamburg. (Stelvio)

Edit: cool idea by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In London with the Norge, crossing in 3 days!

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »
I'm a bit late with my trip this year, but if all goes well I'll be heading north at the end of August. I don't know how long you'll be in Scandinavia but I'll follow your progress in your other thread. With a bit of luck we might be able to meet up, you  heading south and me going north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
I'm a bit late with my trip this year, but if all goes well I'll be heading north at the end of August. I don't know how long you'll be in Scandinavia but I'll follow your progress in your other thread. With a bit of luck we might be able to meet up, you  heading south and me going north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bugger!  I'll be in Sicily by then...

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Huzo--I share your sensibilities, and wish I could make big plans...maybe in a few years when the youngest finishes college.  I would echo the same sentiment on a more domestic basis: regional meetups for long weekends or whatever where a date and meeting place are designated with a loose itinerary of good rides/sights in mind.  People commit via PM and Robert is your mother's brother it's on! 
Another thing I have noticed is a vast difference (painting with the wide wide brush now, admittedly) in attitude towards vacations/holidays between North Americans and Europeans/Australians/New Zealanders.  I've met many of the latter on 3 and 5- month holidays in various and sundry places in the US and Europe, sometimes with kids in tow, and am gobsmacked.  He's an electrician, she's a schoolteacher, and I'm like WTF how do you manage that time-wise and money-wise?  Then I look at my oversize house and kids gotta go to top Universities and and and...I would do it a bit differently in the next go'round, but I'm going to do all I can with the years I have left to make up for memories missed! (and I intend to have my lovely wife and wonderful kids in tow...one at a time, as a Stelvio gets crowded with three aboard).
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
The money you're investing in the kids is never lost. I'm an old bastard who now drives transports to subsidise this addiction. 9 months work, 3 months off, simples!!!

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
Huzo--I share your sensibilities, and wish I could make big plans...maybe in a few years when the youngest finishes college.  I would echo the same sentiment on a more domestic basis: regional meetups for long weekends or whatever where a date and meeting place are designated with a loose itinerary of good rides/sights in mind.  People commit via PM and Robert is your mother's brother it's on! 
Another thing I have noticed is a vast difference (painting with the wide wide brush now, admittedly) in attitude towards vacations/holidays between North Americans and Europeans/Australians/New Zealanders.  I've met many of the latter on 3 and 5- month holidays in various and sundry places in the US and Europe, sometimes with kids in tow, and am gobsmacked.  He's an electrician, she's a schoolteacher, and I'm like WTF how do you manage that time-wise and money-wise?  Then I look at my oversize house and kids gotta go to top Universities and and and...I would do it a bit differently in the next go'round, but I'm going to do all I can with the years I have left to make up for memories missed! (and I intend to have my lovely wife and wonderful kids in tow...one at a time, as a Stelvio gets crowded with three aboard).
Steve

Hey Steve! Nice little ride tonight, that was fun. Missed the rain on the way home, and the tacos had fresh off the vine tomatoes, they were delicious.
I know what you mean, seems that the brass ring so many try to grab keeps them from enjoying the ride until it is too late. Just like riding Overton Rd when the phlox is blooming, slow down and enjoy the color, you will get there with more memories instead of head down, full speed ahead.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here