Author Topic: Wanted, so reverse Spam!  (Read 1941 times)

pete roper

Wanted, so reverse Spam!
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:54:40 PM »
OK, so I'm on the hunt for a 1200 Sport 8V, preferably ABS. Don't care if it's rollerised or not but price will reflect that and the mileage if unrollerised. Will have a very nice V7 'Racer' to PX as well if required with lots of extras and bling.

Why a Sport? Because of their luxurious suspension and big fuel tank. If you're going around Oz, while it's doable with a 15l tank 24l is better. Comfort also is a major consideration for me and finally, if I do it on a Sport I may well be part of a pack of Three Amigos on identical bikes and I'd really like to ru Piaggio's nose in the fact that they've abandoned their best platform ever to build compromised shitters.

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wanted, so reverse Spam!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
OK, so I'm on the hunt for a 1200 Sport 8V, preferably ABS. Don't care if it's rollerised or not but price will reflect that and the mileage if unrollerised. Will have a very nice V7 'Racer' to PX as well if required with lots of extras and bling.

Why a Sport? Because of their luxurious suspension and big fuel tank. If you're going around Oz, while it's doable with a 15l tank 24l is better. Comfort also is a major consideration for me and finally, if I do it on a Sport I may well be part of a pack of Three Amigos on identical bikes and I'd really like to ru Piaggio's nose in the fact that they've abandoned their best platform ever to build compromised shitters.

Pete
From memory, the longest stretch was between Barkly Homestead and Mt ISA somewhere. My Triumph Sprint was ok, but my mate's R 1100S had to carry some fuel.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Pete,

Sounds like a nice ride you guys are planning!  Re your quest for a 1200 Sport, would you consider the marginally slower 2v pushrod 1200 Sport, if you could find a nice low mileage one in Oz?  My 2008 model doesn't make power in the same manner as my sadly departed 8vSE, but the chassis/suspension is really nice, and I personally enjoy the slick 6 speed combined with the 95hp engine.  Of course I can see the desirability of having that wonderful chassis WITH a rollerized 8v engine.

So, they (Guzzi) have really dropped the CARC bikes for good from their lineup?  That's a lot of engineering effort up in smoke.  Sad to see it happen.

Good luck in your quest for the 4v (8v) Sport .... hope you find a nice one!

Bob

(think I'm pulling mine off the WG for sale section as soon as I post this note.)
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
Thing is Bob I really love the 8V, warts and all. I know the last of the pushrod engines are a lovely thing but the 8V is just so much more visceral and *Alive* in comparison. All the rough edges had been knocked off the pushrod motor by its final iteration, they feel just a bit too bland and anodyne for me.

As long as I'm able to ride a 'Large' bike my Griso will be my primary ride, as I've said before if the factory had set out to build a machine *Perfect* for me they couldn't of done a better job! For something to travel round Oz though a 1200 Sport just makes far more sense. For me though the 8V motor is a necessity. The last 'Jewel in the Crown' before Piaggio threw it all away!

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »

Have you ruled out the two on bikesales.com.au at the moment?

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »
The non ABS one with 39,000km on the clock will of been traded because it's top end is cactus. Chances are it's just had its tappets adjusted down to shut it up and at that mileage there may be other damage. It's in Geelong though, I might ask Michael Wynd to go and have a listed to it. The other non ABS one is a pushrod model, the pillocks advertising it are just too dim to realise. Not exactly a great recommendation as to their knowledge of the marque eh? :rolleyes:

As for the three ABS models? Well there's the brand new one in Victoria for silly money that will need rollerising making it sillier still.

The one in Qld. looks interesting and is low enough miles not to have completely buggered itself. Still needs rollerising though. Then there's the one in SA that's been buggered about with....Errr......N o thanks! :grin:

I don't mind rollerising, that's a given, but I'm not paying top dollar for something that I know is broken!

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Mindful of your original post I'll still ask, do you dislike Stelvios Peter ?

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:15:50 PM »
Mindful of your original post I'll still ask, do you dislike Stelvios Peter ?

Not at all, they're a great bike. Its just they aren't *My* sort of bike.

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 01:28:37 AM »
Yeah, fair enough

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 05:01:31 AM »
Thunderbikes has one not rollerised with 105km on the odo (there are no 0's missing from that number) price was fairly steep though on of the "limited edition" paint jobs.

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »
Yah. I'll call Mario but I'm sorry, no unrollerised bike, no matter how 'Immaculate', carries any sort of price premium. There are no 'Factory' roller Sports. They are all dead bikes walking. Unless they are rollerised and that takes money.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here