Author Topic: wanted . guzzi convert  (Read 4827 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
wanted . guzzi convert
« on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »
i want to buy a guzzi convert. This may not be the place but I could not figure out the proper way. Thanks PM me, Mike  Edit, I did find the Swap meet section. Is that it? Is there a screener so only a Convert for sale will show up? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:05:52 AM by gearman »

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: wanted . guzzi convert
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
Funny haven't seen one in my classified travels....there were a few showing up last fall, especially a repainted blue silver with the small bags that looked exceptional, at $4k, very original, I think in VA somewhere....they'll pop back out again for spring. There is a hold out in NH waiting for $3.5k for the last three years for a 15k bike...looking for a stock version or something reworked? I'll keep an eye out, I've ridden several and love them

Adhunter will search wide areas of craigslist, keeps me busy for hours...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
My friend Keith is interested in selling his '77(?) ex-police Convert. It's been sitting quite while, so will need some "freshening" and it had a big Windjammer type fairing on it, so some of the wiring inside the headlight bucket needs to be fixed. IIRC, it came with all of the records back to when it was in police service. I can find out more if you're interested.
Charlie

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
My friend Keith is interested in selling his '77(?) ex-police Convert. It's been sitting quite while, so will need some "freshening" and it had a big Windjammer type fairing on it, so some of the wiring inside the headlight bucket needs to be fixed. IIRC, it came with all of the records back to when it was in police service. I can find out more if you're interested.
Ill 'look at any thing.I have my perfect one now, but I am working on making a leaning rear trike.contact me, Mike

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
Funny haven't seen one in my classified travels....there were a few showing up last fall, especially a repainted blue silver with the small bags that looked exceptional, at $4k, very original, I think in VA somewhere....they'll pop back out again for spring. There is a hold out in NH waiting for $3.5k for the last three years for a 15k bike...looking for a stock version or something reworked? I'll keep an eye out, I've ridden several and love them

Adhunter will search wide areas of craigslist, keeps me busy for hours...See my response to antetium. Any help is appreciated.   Mike

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
And Searchtempest will search all of Craigslist, and eBay as well.

http://www.searchtempest.com
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
There's that outfit in Washington State that sells a leaning front end they can put on a Guzzi Convert., but they want $10K to do it.  Curious what your idea is like.  I have a trike kit I could put on my Convert., but it doesn't lean.  Had it on my Aprilia 500 scooter but that setup was too hard on the belt drive.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:41:57 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »

Adhunter will search wide areas of craigslist, keeps me busy for hours...
Can you give a link to the seller?Mike

Offline Guzzer

• New Egg
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
There is one on Kansas City  Craigslist. $2500
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/6026859386.html
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador riding refurbishment
1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Moto Guzzi T waiting for some attention
Moto Guzzi 850 T3 for trips
Suzuki GS550 for easy country  riding

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
If  I was going to chop up a Convert for this project I'd find something at the bottom feeder level rather than a sorted runner.  There are plenty of unloved and incomplete examples that will give you the donor bits you need.  We had one at the oleo ranch that would have been perfect -- running gear good and tinwork hopeless.  It was scrapped due to lack of interest.  Patience and diligent searching will turn up the perfect donor for not a lot of money.

What leaning theory are you following?

. . .and remember -- a trike, by definition has three wheels.  These training wheel, 4-wheeled contraptions are not trikes.

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Can you give a link to the seller?Mike

No, come and gone last fall
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »

If the OP isn't interested I might be. 2 stipulations:

1. He has to keep the Windjammer. I can't bare the shame in taking another to bulk trash. The laughing and point is more than I can take.
2. Priced to sell and we all know that means CHEAP

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
If  I was going to chop up a Convert for this project I'd find something at the bottom feeder level rather than a sorted runner.  There are plenty of unloved and incomplete examples that will give you the donor bits you need.  We had one at the oleo ranch that would have been perfect -- running gear good and tinwork hopeless.  It was scrapped due to lack of interest.  Patience and diligent searching will turn up the perfect donor for not a lot of money.

What leaning theory are you following?    Does this help?Two wheels stay on the ground always but front leans like a motorcycle. Locking system at slow speed like a trike.My Gyro is squirrely but I am hoping that I can do better.

. . .and remember -- a trike, by definition has three wheels.  These training wheel, 4-wheeled contraptions are not trikes.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:38:24 PM by gearman »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
We got a whole 'nother topic going about how "retro" is in.  What's more retro than a windjammer on the original issue?  And what's a better fairing than a properly positioned 'jammer?  My '76 Convert has always and proudly worn its period dress.  It looks 'right'  :thumb:  and gets no more ridicule than the rest of the bike.   :rolleyes:  I remember one time on the Alcan, the same guys on their adv bikes ridiculed me every time they caught up with me.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »

I meant -- how are you going to design it?  There are a lot of complications to building a leaner.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »
If the OP isn't interested I might be. 2 stipulations:

1. He has to keep the Windjammer. I can't bare the shame in taking another to bulk trash. The laughing and point is more than I can take.
2. Priced to sell and we all know that means CHEAP

The 'Jammer is already off, I found a good headlight rim assy. for him. Until I hear back from Keith, I won't know if it's "cheap" or not.
Charlie

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
The 'Jammer is already off, I found a good headlight rim assy. for him. Until I hear back from Keith, I won't know if it's "cheap" or not.

I'm still in sell mode so hopefully it will not be "cheap" enough.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Here is the$4k one I was thinking of...prolly too nice to experiment with..Roanoke va

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/6038400065.html
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
I'd suggest just get a Piaggio MP3 like I have.  Leans like a 2 wheeler, has storage galore and I ride my 400 all over the West. Built in weather protection and 65 mpg w/90 mph top speed.  4 valve, h2o cooled motor and you adjust the valves just like  on a Guzzi.  2 wheels on the front is a real + when it's raining and cornering is solid.  Twist & go (no shifting) :thumb:

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
I'd suggest just get a Piaggio MP3 like I have.  Leans like a 2 wheeler, has storage galore and I ride my 400 all over the West. Built in weather protection and 65 mpg w/90 mph top speed.  4 valve, h2o cooled motor and you adjust the valves just like  on a Guzzi.  2 wheels on the front is a real + when it's raining and cornering is solid.  Twist & go (no shifting) :thumb:

In case you haven't noticed, gearman/Mike likes to engineer and build things, not just buy what everyone else has. I applaud his efforts and look forward to seeing the finished product. From my phone conversation with him yesterday, it sounds like it should be very cool.

Mike: spoke with Keith last night and will be sending you the information via email today.
Charlie

Offline Tom Farley

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 11:48:24 AM »

I have a '76 that I would sell. I bought it from Moe at Cycle Garden to do a fly/ride to the National in Malibu in 2008. Rode it to my daughter's house in Palm Springs after the rally and then stored it there and rode it on vacations every year since then. I brought it home to Virginia about a year ago thinking I might refurbish it a bit, but that's not going to happen anytime soon (too many bikes). I would rather see it get used than sit in my garage so I would let it go to a good home for $1600. It  needs maintenance and a little TLC but everything works and it runs strong. Has been very reliable for me.
I have a lot of pics stored on flikr and would love to post some here but the process eludes me. Used to be easy but now it's bizarre.
If any body wants to see the pics I could try sending them by e-mail or by texting to phone number. You can pm me.

Or maybe somebody could explain the process from flikr to here?
Amissville, Virginia
'00 Jackal, '82 V50III, '04 Breva 750, '76 I-Convert, '12 klr650, '15 Versys 650

Offline Tom Farley

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
DSCF0359 by papafarley, on Flickr

Got it to work!
Amissville, Virginia
'00 Jackal, '82 V50III, '04 Breva 750, '76 I-Convert, '12 klr650, '15 Versys 650

Offline Tom Farley

• Gaggle Mentor
Amissville, Virginia

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 12:15:06 PM »
 :thumb: Fly-n-ride!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:36:25 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
I could be persuaded to buy that if Gearman doesn't. Need to talk to the wife first.  :thumb:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
Tell Maggie, she can ride it.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
I meant -- how are you going to design it?  There are a lot of complications to building a leaner.
I am very aware of the complications.I will have two back wheels closer together than a trike.The engine will be direct coupled to my differential and the whole setup will stay on the ground. The forward part of the frame will lean.There will be a locking system where when I want a standard trike I can push a button and it will lock.I bought the gyros to study them and I finally doing my build. Like JFK said,"I do this not because it is easy , but because it is hard".LOL

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
hi, I rode the 500 mp3 at a dealer and found the cg seemed high.I felt like I was sitting on top of a teeter totter. It must be me though because Piaggio has sold 150000 of them.

Offline hinz 57

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
I have an excellent 78 I have been considering selling. If you are still in the market, let me know.
hinz 57
2002 Cali Ev
1978 Convert
1978 T-3

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Where you at hinz? Never mind, saw the other post.  :boozing:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:35:45 AM by twodogs »
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here