Author Topic: Wanted: Comfort, Quiet, and Stability  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Re: Wanted: Comfort, Quiet, and Stability
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
If you like the Norge I'd double down on fixing that buffetting. Fairly ugly but would something like a MadStad work?

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 12:40:30 AM »
The Norge and R1200RT are very similar in comfort and riding position, but cost of maintenance is a bit different.  While you can do virtually all your own maintenance on the Norge, you're going to be at the dealer for some things, even if you have the BMW equivalent of Guzi Diag.  I found the RT to be very boring and a bit overpriced, especially with the unknown rear drive issues (yet another rear drive failed on this year's IBR).

The Goldwing is the comfort barge with a solid history of running long and well and needing little maintenance.  The FB6 is not that much lighter than the full 'Wing (844 vs 904-933).  The 1600GT/L (736lbs to 77s)is luxurious, but is back to expensive maintenance.  For those who don't put a lot of miles on them, it's a good choice as the dealer premium only comes around from time to time.  If you put 20,000 miles a year or more on the bike, your pocketbook will definitely feel it.

The Harley options are pretty much known quantities as well.  Service them anywhere.  If the town has a McDonald's it will have at least one H-D dealer, and several independent shops who know more than the dealer about keeping them running well.  Go with frame mounted fairings if you don't want to fight the bike at higher speeds.

We looked at the Victory Cross Country Tour for our two-up slab burner, but since they are now orphans, I wouldn't want one.  Parts are going to be an issue at some point and although they were in business for 20 years, they don't have the after market support of an H-D, or Yamaha.

I like the FJR, (640lbs more or less) but it is a more aggressive riding position than the Norge.  If you are comfortable on it, you'll love it.  Nice power, good ergonomics, and for several years was the bike of top 10 on the IBR (still several in the top ten this year as well)

For me, the ST1300 and the C14 Kawasaki just don't work.  The ST feels bloated and top heave (sort of like my old C10 Connie) and the C14 feels so off, ergonomically, that I've never ridden one.  I just don't like the feel of it.

I like the California 1400 - comfortable, known engine, dealer network, etc.  You know what you are getting into.  Reports from folks who have owned them for a while say they get 50mpg when ridden at speeds below 80MPH.  Ride it faster and the mileage will take a big hit (but then they all do).

I suppose I've gotten so used to my '07 Norge over the last 83,000 miles that nothing much surprises me (except for that damn shock bolt  :thewife:) and I'm perfectly comfortable on her doing 5-700 mile days back to back.  I don't have the buffeting issues some people report, I don't find the heat excessive as some folks do, and with my Shoei GT-Air, I can make and receive phone calls via my Sena SMH-10 (although I seldom do that as it's too much of a distraction for me).

None of these bikes are light weights, although it is possible to push the weight up to over 900lbs on the 'Wind and H-D pretty easily.

Of course YMWV as you pick the bike that works best for you.

Enjoy.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 05:42:50 AM »
I've only ridden a GW a few times but it made me appreciate them for slab running.  Comfortable, stable, and plenty of power for cruising.  BIL used one for his 1hr commute which was mostly interstate.  He had 4 of them over the years.  He did say he liked the 1200 the best of all of them.  And the reverse motor was nice for getting out of parking spaces.  He never had any maintenance problems with them and he had the dealer maintain them.  All had well over 100k on them when he changed over.  He liked to buy lightly used ones.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »
I don't agree that the Norge and RT are in the same class.  The RT has all the full boat touring features like a sound system and electronics that the Norge lacks.  And of course is much newer design.  Despite this, the RT is nearly as sporty and more powerful.

The Norge is closest to the RS.  However, the RS is a newer design and more powerful.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:48:01 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
Goldwing, Ive have a few, 1000cc, 1100, 1200, and currently a 1500 six cyl trike. You cant beat them for their intended purpose, and I like the trike for 2 up. The 1800 goldwing is a very capable motorcycle, and great used ones are available everywhere. The classifieds section in the back of wing world magazine has some great for sale deals, from mostly older guys, that take fanatical care of their wings.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
My R1200RS is the business, but it took some aftermarket stuff to get the ergos just right. It is comfortable, superb handling/braking, and has great gobs of power. It has all the electronics, too...cruise, adaptive ABS and TC, heated grips, ESA, and shift-assist. The screen only adjusts to two positions, but there are multiple mounting positions, so you're sure to find a sweet spot. Highly recommended...

Oh...the chickens are my Guzzi (cult) content.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:07:07 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
I think you guys pretty much covered it.

I agree the RK wouldn't be the right Harley, that would go to the RG (Road Glide).

The BMW RT would be a good choice, but Mt experience was they were not AS stable in crosswinds which would make me wonder about the K-bike. I would think that it would be more stable.

Everything I heard about the Vic suggests it would have been good too.

Don't think I'd really consider the Cali for this one, though maybe the MGX would be ok but I doubt it would be as good as all the others.

Along the same vein maybe the Indian Chieftain?

The Wing is obvious, but I can't bring myself to care.

Good luck with your decision.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Viker

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
No one mentioned the Triumph Trophy yet. Do you have it in the US?

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
^ it is still on Triumph’s U.S. website, but it is probably (certainly?) on its way to extinction.  Lannis has (or had) a Trophy.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
Last year, I had the itch to get something new/different.  I took back to back fairly spirited rides on the T Trophy and the BMW RT.  I was surprised that between the two there really wasn't much comparison.  The RT just completely outperformed the Triumph.  In the end, the RT would have gotten the nod, but the California 1400 Touring was just too good a bike to give up for it.   Granted, I had to make the C1400T mine with some ergo changes (6'2", 235), but after another 500 miles in the last couple of days it still tells me its a fantastic motorcycle.  I do wish it had some of the advanced features of the new bikes, but its a Moto Guzzi after all, so it will likely remain behind the curve. 

I've ridden most of the bikes mentioned above, and personal ergonomics and amenities wish lists show themselves only by riding them.  I love to read others opinions and experiences, and I compare what I read to what my butt, shoulders, and helmet tell me. 

for me?  still the California Touring, but always on the hunt. 

DR
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:16:54 PM by DaddyRabbit »
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here