Author Topic: BaT Reserve Bikes  (Read 579 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
BaT Reserve Bikes
« on: October 21, 2021, 03:12:33 AM »
It seems that a few of the current and recent BaT bikes with reserves have soft bidding. The Norton 850 and BMW R 50 up now, and the recent R50 and R100CS all seem low.  I’m not a fan of putting bikes up with reserves.  It chills interest and if your bike is good enough to be on BaT you should have the cajones to let it sell itself.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: BaT Reserve Bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 05:24:23 AM »
I disagree, you never know what the market is going to do. I have a beautifully restored Ambo, and its kinda for sale. It is only for sale at a certain price... I wouldnt sell it for less & I would be happy to keep it if I can't get that number. I have seen what some examples go for, and I would sell mine at that price!  BUT I have also seen very nice bikes sell for much less, and at those prices, I would just as soon keep the bike.

With the values landing all over the place, I would want the security of knowing I get at least that minimum number for it.  If you are in the business of selling bikes, or need to clear a garage (estate, etc) I fully say put it up and let the price ride. But if you like the bike and would be happy to keep it, I dont see any problem with testing the waters with the security of a reserve price.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »
I have heard that once BaT "accepts" you bike...they pressure you to offer it at "NO RESERVE..." (???) because they want it to sell quickly, obviously...

Don't know if this is true or not...but I don't think I would list a fine machine on there without a reserve....(just sayin')...and just my humble opinion... :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 07:50:07 AM »
So, are you saying that after they have received you listing fee, the “ no reserve” pressure starts?

I have heard that once BaT "accepts" you bike...they pressure you to offer it at "NO RESERVE..." (???) because they want it to sell quickly, obviously...

Don't know if this is true or not...but I don't think I would list a fine machine on there without a reserve....(just sayin')...and just my humble opinion... :wink:
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 07:50:07 AM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 07:53:54 AM »
So, are you saying that after they have received you listing fee, the “ no reserve” pressure starts?

Again, don't know if that is true...(???)...but that is what I have heard....maybe just BS...(???)

....so more research from someone with experience at BaT is required here...
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »

Scout would know, I think he's sold a bike on BAT? (Matchless?)
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: BaT Reserve Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
I did sell my 63 Matchless on BaT.  The support was great but the process is not for the faint of heart. One commenter questioned its authenticity and then disappeared for two days.  I did not check the cost of no reserve though as I wanted to get rid of it and don’t tend to worry too much about sale prices. It sold for just over what I wanted.  There is definitely a back story to BaT though.  If the operators wrote a book I would buy it.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
I sold my GB500 on BAT last year.

I did my research and set what I felt was a reasonable reserve given the value of the bike.
BAT didn't ever question the figure at all -  just approved the reserve. It has to be mentioned
that I did my homework AND honestly assessed the machine. It sold for just over the reserve figure
and just under what I really thought it was worth, so the process worked perfectly and I was happy
with the result.

A LOT of sellers don't do their homework and don't honestly assess their machines; which is where
the conflict with reserves comes in. Reserves should always be a little bit below market value if one wants
the machine to sell at auction. Reserves set AT market value or above will result in bids, but no sale.
Auctioneers know this, and know that it's a waste of everybody's time.

One is always taking a chance selling at auction without a reserve, although at BAT, the chance is much
smaller than on eBay or at a live auction. I talked to the auctioneer at the Owl's Head Transportation
Museum up here in Maine about listing the bike at the annual auction, but he would only do it with no reserve. Too big a chance
to lose money in that particular venue with that particular machine, so I declined to list it.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here