Author Topic: Reusable Ziplocks that Actually Lock  (Read 1400 times)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Reusable Ziplocks that Actually Lock
« on: March 26, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
Do you need a lightweight way to lock your helmet to your motorcycle when stopped for lunch, or want to give your panniers a bit of extra security?

Nice for motorcycles due to the weight and space savings...

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?keywords=HIPLOK%20Z%20LOK%20TWIN%20PACK%20%28ZLOKS%29&olsPage=products%2Fhiplok-z-lok-twin-zloks
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Reusable Ziplocks that Actually Lock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
Pretty cool, I bought a metal one at a gun show made by Master lock years ago. I never seem to pack it when I need it  :shocked:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
I just crack the pannier lid let the D-ring on the chin strap fall in close the lid and lock it.

Locks keep honest people honest.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

twowings

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
The Norge comes with a nifty cable lock... :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
The Norge comes with a nifty cable lock... :thumb:

True...you want an extra one?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

twowings

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
Yes...bring it to Cedar Vale... :thumb:

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
BMW Boxers once had cable locks onboard too;  stowed in the hollow central spine.

Not a bad idea, these unlockable/reusable ziplocks.  Whilst not necessarily all that especially secure, just about ANYTHING that slows would-be thieves down in the execution of their nefarious deeds is of value.
Severus bastardis

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »
In my travels, I have happened to make the acquaintance of a professional locksmith. The why is immaterial, but let's say he gave me an education that afternoon. Here are his views on security:

1. There is no lock ever made that cannot be defeated with sufficient time and resources.

2. The purpose of a lock is not to secure something, but to delay a would-be thief. Time is the greatest enemy of the thief. Too much time spent trying to bypass a lock is what causes them to get caught.

3. There are three classes of thieves, opportunistic thieves, amateur thieves, and professional thieves.

4. Opportunistic thieves are generally stupid teenagers who seeing an unlocked bicycle or car with the keys left in the ignition will hop on and take off. These persons can be stopped by the most basic of security measures, ie, cable locks on a bike and auto door locks.

5. Amateur thieves are more savvy. They steal things for a reason, generally to sell. Ever seen "Gone in 60 seconds" - those are actually higher-end amateur thieves. They know how to bypass locks, hotwire a car, etc. Thankfully, they know enough about locks to know what ones they want to avoid, in other words, they know which locks they can pop open easily, and which ones will likely have them standing there for 10-20 minutes trying to get it open. In the latter case, the amateur thief will go looking for an easier target.

6. The best thing about professional thieves is there are very few professional thieves in the world, and those are usually not looking to steal one persons property because the average person doesn't own anything worth enough to be worth the risk of them getting caught. No, these guys go where the big money is. Corporations, governments and the like. They have more in common with James Bond than your average street thug. They are nearly impossible to protect against with any mechanical or electronic device. You need human guards to secure something against a professional.

With all that said, let's do a quick headcount. Most thieves can be stopped by a simple Master lock. Most amateurs can be stopped by a good Abus lock. Professionals aren't interested in what one person has except under the rarest of circumstances.

That said, a great lock on a crappy piece of Wal-Mart dog chain does not make something secure. A length of excellent Pewag chain with an Abus lock means nothing if you loop it around handrail that can be pulled loose with one good yank. Remember that the thief will look for and attack the weakest point. If you can delay them for 60 seconds... they will generally walk away and you win.

So, when my buddy Mike and I are going to Alaska next year, we're planning to chain our two bikes together in the parking lot. This makes them a lot more difficult to steal, and we'll be using Pewag chain with Abus locks. Opportunistic thieves will see a lock and chain and keep walking. Amateur thieves will see Abus and Pewag and keep walking, looking for an easier target. We don't expect to have any issues.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:30:59 AM by Rick in WNY »
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline JoeKirby

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
I posted this awhile back for the V7 but it can work on any lockable seat.  I haven't had any trouble yet.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=92421.0
My favorite rides:
1978 Triumph Bonneville
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2007 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Moto Guzzi V9
Beechcraft BE24R

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here