Author Topic: 98EV RPM rollback  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
98EV RPM rollback
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
My EV that runs strong has an issue. The bike performs perfectly under acceleration. At high speed cruise it's fine too. However at lower speeds ie lower throttle settings the bike will drop RPM on its own. Just like me rolling off throttle. It will catch but I end up with a pulsing ride that ain't right. At idle it does the same thing. RPM is steady but then it rolls off and will stall if throttle is not applied. Seeking your help. Thanks, Bill

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 98EV RPM rollback
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
Well Bill, lets start with some questions...When was the last valve adjustment?, the last throttle body sync? THe last time the tps was checked? These are some things I would be looking at first off. Where are you located? Maybe you are close to one of the knowledgable guys on here that could help you.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
Bad dirty TPS.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:32 PM »

Hi Bill
 I don't know for sure if your fuel injectors have 'O' rings on the end of them, but putting new o rings on the injectors on my Tiger made a world of difference. Just something cheap and easy to try.
           Steve

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
Bad dirty TPS.

I love it when you talk that way.   :drool

Also, probably the culprit.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
I love it when you talk that way.   :drool

Also, probably the culprit.

It will involve whips, but no chains.  ~;
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »

It will involve whips, but no chains.  ~;

Hang in there guys, Spring is coming!

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Check TPS like above also check the fuel petcock for free flow. There is a fine screen on the petcock that might be full of rust. My 98 V11 EV was also change the fuel filter and check that the tank is venting properly. Do you get a whoosh sound when you open the tank for refueling? If so your tip over valve might not be functioning properly.
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Well Bill, lets start with some questions...When was the last valve adjustment?, the last throttle body sync? THe last time the tps was checked? These are some things I would be looking at first off. Where are you located? Maybe you are close to one of the knowledgeable guys on here that could help you.
The motor was rolling back as I described and had some starting problems  so I took it to a competent mechanic. Replaced exhaust valve guides, re honed the valve seats/valves. Found throttle body tube not connected properly, balanced throttle bodies.
The TPS is a Harley version that was installed only a few years ago. The bike runs strong and now starts easily. But still has the roll back problem. I suggested the pet cock screen, he dismissed it saying it would cause other running problems that I don't have. I'll advise him of the suggestions I receive here on this thread.
Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here