Author Topic: Convert issue  (Read 3686 times)

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
Convert issue
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »
Good day, 1st post here and thanks for the venue!
A week ago I was doing some at speed panic stops on my 76 Convert after the rebuild in my rear brake master brake cylinder. All went well with the great brake performance, but on the return trip I was feeling like a more spirited ride and accelerated to a little over 90mph. At that pint I lost all forward power and did a very long coast to a stop, engine idling, running well. A friend rescued the Guzzi and me  on his trailer and brought us home. I had originally assumed the hex shaft/atf pump had failed and in the next day or so pulled the front timing cover to find all was well. Oh well, I thought, I cleaned all of it and buttoned it back up. New gaskets on the cover & sumptuously , oil filter as well. So yesterday I turned the gas back on...hit the starter, and the starter spun, freely without turning the crankshaft to start it.
 I hadn’t tried to start the Guzzi previously after being hauled home as I had the thought of the hex shaft issue on my mind as the problem.
Anyway now it looks like I am pulling the trans/bell housing/motor from the frame to find a failed early stamped flywheel!
Also when the Convert lost power, no racket/bad noises of any kind were heard. I can freely /smoothly turn the flywheel thru the timing inspection hole with a screwdriver, so am assuming the flywheel inner mounting flange has separated with a clean break???
Any input would be helpful and thanks again for the forum!
jjoking

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
Re: Convert issue
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
More info on the Convert 1976
Very low mileage unit 9,000 original miles
Sat in a museum for close to 40 years

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »
Your  diagnosis sounds spot on.  Sorry about that. Finding a new flywheel might be a challenge.

I can freely /smoothly turn the flywheel. Assume the crank not turning when you do that?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:34:42 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
Correct! Crank is not turning...what puzzles me is that when I rotate the flywheel manually, it is so smooth.
I just didn’t thing that if the flywheel center flange had let go it would have a smooth break. I guess maybe the assembly may have moved to the rear enough to be off the break? I soon will know about it for sure
When it is pulled down & apart

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
That is a little puzzle, let us know with pics if possible.

Are you aware of the yahoo group MGconvert? Join here,
mailto:mgconvert-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
I'm by no means an expert on the convert, but I've been researching them as I'm considering buying one. Seems that some of them came with a pressed steel flywheel. they are known to fail in the exact manner you're describing, and the recommendation is to swap out to a cast-iron one. From what I understand, they are hard to come by but not unobtainable.

Not for nothing, but taking a 40-year museum piece and beating on it might not be the best course of action. Beautiful Bike by the way.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:49:29 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
My history with this, my 2nd Convert has been measured
Short 50 mile or so rides over the past 6 months, varying speeds with
A max of 73 mph checking the speedo with GPS speed
Readings...amazingl y accurate within 2-3 mph.
So with less than 10 of those 50 mile rides and confidence growing in the bike/reliability, that one nice
Late winter/early cool spring morning 😎 I upped the throttle that one time with 90 mph being the max!
It was the max alright...that’s when the low mileage old girl let go. Anyway after many Guzzis owned in the last
40 yrs, it’s the first time I had ever been hauled home
For a 90mph ride...so I guess, I will take it like a man
And just accept a “Shame on me” for it!

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
They show up on eBay, in late February a used heavy flywheel sold for just over $100 and $13 shipping.  Maybe call Harper's?  Are you on the Convert Yahoo Group? Maybe someone in the group has a spare to sell. 
Mark is selling a good early version, these can be modified (reinforced) so they're reliable. Here is a link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-guzzi-parts-convert-flywheel-ring-gear/222252378610?hash=item33bf4629f2:g:x8MAAOSwNRdX3FlG
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:57:38 AM by Yeahoo Whoyah »
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
Thanks for the info...I had seen this on eBay
Also a couple from Germany for approx $160
For a later model heavy flywheel.
Will call Curtis @ Harpers tomorrow to see what he might
Have available. I’m in no hurry, haven’t disassembled it yet
But will do so soon. Then will know for sure about what I am dealing with.
So tomorrow I am going fishing! Relax and contimplate on the next convert project issue at hand.

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:09:09 PM »
 :popcorn:  Welcome to the club(club of broken Guzzi')--what your guessin is just what happened to it!!! One of mine(I have 3)did that 80 miles after I brought it home! You can weld it if it's not all buggered up,make sure it;s balanced well   :thumb:    When replacing the torque converter be religious about alignment,if not it will vibrate like an old EV     :boozing:

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »
Thanks for the info!
I have my dial indicator all ready to get the Converter
Spot on @ assembly.
A smooth ride will had by all

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
I sent Mr. King to this list when he called me wanting info. Thanks to y'all for helping a fellow East Texas Guzzi rider.

Tex
Nothing beats a goodnight kiss...unless you are in prison.

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »
👋 Tex!
Good quote on the goodnite kiss... although the prison angle gave me a bit of a chill!!!!
Thanks again!
JK

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »
Aldo: How many miles on your Convert when the flywheel failed?  What is your best guess on the speed (or RPM) when the failure occurred?
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Aldo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Ton-Up"
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 05:22:32 PM »
Aldo: How many miles on your Convert when the flywheel failed?  What is your best guess on the speed (or RPM) when the failure occurred?

Mine has just over 17300 miles...I bought it with just over 17000 last month. I knew what I was getting into and that's why I ended up getting a spare flywheel.  It's original and a very nice example.  Not sure the RPM range at the time it occurred, but was in High gear and about 40 mph or so when I felt it let go. No real banging noises, just sudden loss of drive, so I just coasted to the side of the road and into a parking lot.
'19 RE Interceptor, 98' Cali EV, 95 Duc 900SS
GONE: '72 Eldo,'75 Convert,'04 Thruxton,'89 Guzzi Cafe,'99 Duc 900SS,'79 Guzzi 1000 'SP'ort,'14 Harley '48','12 V7 Stone,'72 Benelli 650S,'82 Guzzi 1000SP,'72 N. Falcone,'75 T3 850,'00 V11S,'78LeMans 1,'89 LeMans,'76 Morini 350S,'89 Duc 750S,'01 Kaw W650

Offline jjoking

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »
Hey 👋
Thanks so much for the pics, sorry about your issue as well. Mine was spooled up and pulling hard @ just over 90 mph when it let go.
Also am puzzled as to why mine turns so smooth with out noise when I turn it.
It sure seems like I should be hearing scraping going on. I guess I will know when I get it apart!
Thanks again

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
Mine has just over 17300 miles...I bought it with just over 17000 last month.

Been there, done that, too, on a '76, and it failed somewhere in the 17,000-range, highway speed, no other grinding or crunching, as the OP reported.

I don't recall trying to spin the flywheel thru the inspection window, and the lack of "grinding" noise in this case IS puzzling.

I went the reinforced sheet-metal route because I couldn't find the later version. Simple reinforcement, an after installing it and ensuring proper runout, it worked like a charm for many more miles until I sold it.

I am MORE amazed that you got to 90 mph on that thing. Must've been with no fairing.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
I'm by no means an expert on the convert, but I've been researching them as I'm considering buying one. Seems that some of them came with a pressed steel flywheel. they are known to fail in the exact manner you're describing, and the recommendation is to swap out to a cast-iron one. From what I understand, they are hard to come by but not unobtainable.

Not for nothing, but taking a 40-year museum piece and beating on it might not be the best course of action. Beautiful Bike by the way.

Rubbish. I have the "Worlds Fastest Guzzi Automatic" (TM) and it has been clocked at 114 at El Mirage dry lake by the SCTA. When I have it in street trim, I am always checking the top speed, it gets the stick, a lot. The old sheet metal flywheels fatigue, no telling when they will let go. It could just as easily be due to low RPM running as high. I have had one sheet metal flywheel fail, that was years ago, and I can't remember the circumstances.

For my current automatic, I have a heavy flywheel that I had lightened. Never thought much of having a light one welded up to reinforce it, I suppose if you had it trued afterwards it would be OK. I'd be concerned about distortion due to welding. It is hard enough to indicate the torque converter boss to within +/- .001" with an un-welded one.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Happened to me last week, this is probably what it will look like once you open it up. I have a spare stamped one in good shape that I am going to have reinforced on both sides by a good welder. My torque converter has a little nub at the end; seems as though a small tip of that nub broke off in the end of the crank.  Don't think its a big issue and it doesn't look like there is any other damage, so I plan to button it back up once I get my flywheel done up....

I would be real concerned about that missing nub. It locates the flywheel, and it will wag more without it. It is broken either due to your flywheel breaking, or it being broken was the cause of your flywheel breaking. Either way, I'd get a new torque converter.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 06:09:11 PM »
I know this is an old OLD thread, but as its exactly where Im at.....bringing back a 76 Convert after a few years of indoor non-use. probably my 20th    Guzzi but 1st Convert. Going to check into this flywheel issue and if I have a stamped one, I'll start the search for a cast, but it has occurred to me, what about the torque converter? Is this an easily obtainable item that crossed over into the automotive world, or will I live in fear of the last Sachs unit in North America fragmenting?

thank you.
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »
Good day, 1st post here and thanks for the venue!
A week ago I was doing some at speed panic stops on my 76 Convert after the rebuild in my rear brake master brake cylinder. All went well with the great brake performance, but on the return trip I was feeling like a more spirited ride and accelerated to a little over 90mph. At that pint I lost all forward power and did a very long coast to a stop, engine idling, running well. A friend rescued the Guzzi and me  on his trailer and brought us home. I had originally assumed the hex shaft/atf pump had failed and in the next day or so pulled the front timing cover to find all was well. Oh well, I thought, I cleaned all of it and buttoned it back up. New gaskets on the cover & sumptuously , oil filter as well. So yesterday I turned the gas back on...hit the starter, and the starter spun, freely without turning the crankshaft to start it.
 I hadn’t tried to start the Guzzi previously after being hauled home as I had the thought of the hex shaft issue on my mind as the problem.
Anyway now it looks like I am pulling the trans/bell housing/motor from the frame to find a failed early stamped flywheel!
Also when the Convert lost power, no racket/bad noises of any kind were heard. I can freely /smoothly turn the flywheel thru the timing inspection hole with a screwdriver, so am assuming the flywheel inner mounting flange has separated with a clean break???
Any input would be helpful and thanks again for the forum!
jjoking

Hey, Thats my Convert in the photo!  Yep, I purchased it from Mr. King.  Im very happy he sorted the flywheel issue before I got it. :bow:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 04:49:44 PM »
P.S. they will run 90 as long as your butt can take it!  :bike-037:

Low range tops out at 80 and it’s still not at a redline. They are quite happy at 40-65 with that higher rpm. I loved lo range for everything but interstate and drove two of them for 135,000 miles.

You could keep a bit of throttle on while foot linked braking and when you wanted to accelerate release the foot brake. Made for a really smooth transition, less diving front end hobby horse style and more squatting evenly front and rear. Mine had two different frictions for the pads, while some had a proportioning valve. Fantastic set up.

Pretty easy to crab the frame and yank the transmission…altho having the motor out and pointing nose down does make it easier to adjust the run out when reseating the torque converter

Patience and as little runout as possible makes them really smooth

At this point a non running convert with the right flywheel, and likely a working torque converter, might be the way to go. Instant spare parts that you might find for cheap.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:55:57 PM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 05:13:20 PM »
P.S. they will run 90 as long as your butt can take it!  :bike-037:

Low range tops out at 80 and it’s still not at a redline. They are quite happy at 40-65 with that higher rpm. I loved lo range for everything but interstate and drove two of them for 135,000 miles.

You could keep a bit of throttle on while foot linked braking and when you wanted to accelerate release the foot brake. Made for a really smooth transition, less diving front end hobby horse style and more squatting evenly front and rear. Mine had two different frictions for the pads, while some had a proportioning valve. Fantastic set up.

Pretty easy to crab the frame and yank the transmission…altho having the motor out and pointing nose down does make it easier to adjust the run out when reseating the torque converter

Patience and as little runout as possible makes them really smooth

At this point a non running convert with the right flywheel, and likely a working torque converter, might be the way to go. Instant spare parts that you might find for cheap.

What is the 'redline' on the V1000 motor? I often keep the Vert in Low gear and will run up to 60-70, and the motor sounds and feels great, sounds like 5500-6600 rpm, but without a tach, and not knowing the redline I don't want to push it.

I have 43K on mine (also a 76) and AFAIK is the original flywheel and hex drive. I do have a spare stamped and machined flywheel. Evidently the increased mass of the heavier flywheel effects engine response?

Love how different the riding experience is on the convert than any other bike I've owned. It whispers 'slow down and enjoy the scenery'
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 09:24:32 PM »
I’d guess redline would be the same as an G5, maybe SP. Same motor.

With the vert “gearing”, it’s as if you’ve mounted a really large rear sprocket to accommodate the fluid drive. Quick off the line, but it doesn’t tap into the full potential of top speed of the motor. It does leave it spinning just a notch or two below redline, right where the power is. For comparison i believe the top speeds are the same for a Vert as a G5.

You can hold the throttle wide open, but it doesn’t get to redline while pushing the beast down the road against friction and wind. I suppose you could change the rear drive gears but then your into the 20 spline vs 10 spline driveshaft issue

A low range vert on full throttle above 60 will surprise you getting to 80, (then stops accelerating) if you can bear the sounds like it’s about to blow up…nah, there’s probably another 1500-2000 rpm left unused. If there’s any motor that can take the abuse it’s those
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »
Just for kicks heres my EVert with the re enforced light flywheel start up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gow4iwqwLJc

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 07:06:08 AM »
I’d guess redline would be the same as an G5, maybe SP. Same motor.

With the vert “gearing”, it’s as if you’ve mounted a really large rear sprocket to accommodate the fluid drive. Quick off the line, but it doesn’t tap into the full potential of top speed of the motor. It does leave it spinning just a notch or two below redline, right where the power is. For comparison i believe the top speeds are the same for a Vert as a G5.

You can hold the throttle wide open, but it doesn’t get to redline while pushing the beast down the road against friction and wind. I suppose you could change the rear drive gears but then your into the 20 spline vs 10 spline driveshaft issue

A low range vert on full throttle above 60 will surprise you getting to 80, (then stops accelerating) if you can bear the sounds like it’s about to blow up…nah, there’s probably another 1500-2000 rpm left unused. If there’s any motor that can take the abuse it’s those

All understood, but I don’t know what the redline of a G5 is, or where the Convert is at 70 in low gear relative to redline.

The Convert makes speed surprisingly fast. Hold the break bring up revs, release brake and full on throttle and you are at 80 before to can take two breaths. Even in high gear it makes highway speeds fast and effortlessly.

I’m looking for hard data on redline for the motor and where that is relative to high and low gear. UNLIKELY you can hit redline in high range, but Low is a possibility. At 70 in low the motor sounds sublime, and the balance of intake/exhaust/gear whine is pretty intoxicating BUT not knowing If too close to the safe edge for the motor, I rarely go there.
MGNOC#23231

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2023, 03:03:31 PM »

Looks like 7800.

11 seconds to 70mph
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2023, 03:10:12 PM »
Cycle Test magazine, March 76

150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250

Online TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2023, 06:38:57 PM »
@Bulldog.

I had the first G5 5 speed that was imported into the U.S. that i purchased from Charlie Pinheiro.

Red line was about 6400 RPM in 5th gear indicating 105-TO 110 MPH.

Because of the Covvert torque converter this is how i would compare the RPM.

The Convert is assumed to operate 500-750 rpm lower at any speed soooooooo,  FYI I have the heavier flywheel, Starter teeth are machined directly into the flywheel

My convert at 65 MPH on the Convert in high range would be 2800 rpm to 3200 rpm

G5 (same bike) with a 5 speed 3200rpm 3400 rpm

Those numbers are subjective.

I rarely use low range for my riding, BUT consider this

Since the engine operates at lower RPM's so does the charging system so depending what you have on lights radio in high range (in Town) you would not have much output from the alternator riding around in town in HighRidge SO LOW RANGE IS PERFERRED.

I overcame that problem by installing an adjustable voltage regulator PROBLEM SOLVED and ride in Hi range 99% of the time.

Limit shifting on the go as the transmission is really not designed for that.

Others may chime in

TOMB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:33:36 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »
@Bulldog.

I had the first G5 that was inported into the U.S. that i purchased from Charlie Pinheiro.

Red line was about 6400 RPM in 5th gear indicating 105-TO 110 MPH.

Because of the torque converter this is how i would compare the RPM.

The Convert is assumed to operate 500-750 rpm lower at any speed soooooooo,  FYI I have the heavier flywheel, Starter teeth are machined directly into the flywheel

My convert at 65 MPH on the Convert in high range would be 2800 rpm to 3200 rpm

G5 (same bike) with a 5 speed 3200rpm 3400 rpm

Those numbers are subjective.

I rarely use low range for my riding, BUT consider this

Since the engine operates at lower RPM's so does the charging system so depending what you have on lights radio in high range (in Town) you would not have much output from the alternator riding around in town in HighRidge SO LOW RANGE IS PERFERRED.

I overcame that problem by installing an adjustable voltage regulator PROBLEM SOLVED and ride in Hi range 99% of the time.

Limit shifting on the go as the transmission is really not designed for that.

Others may chime in

TOMB

Great info, thanks.

I generally leave the bike in low as 90% of my riding is below highway speeds. Changing between high and low only at stop, but rolling at 5-10 with clutch engaged is fluid smooth. Hope to get some riding in soon if weather cooperates
MGNOC#23231

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here