Author Topic: 98 EV first time, still no go  (Read 1332 times)

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
98 EV first time, still no go
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:38:35 AM »
Several years ago, I brought home a partially disassembled V11 EV, 1998.  The main wiring harness was burned up, was reason #1 it had not been run.  It still wears a 2001 tag.  I bought a harness from Pinwall Cycle a few years ago.  So, it went from sitting in a garage collecting dust, to sitting in another garage collecting dust.  I have been picking away at it lately.

Yesterday, I put it all together, put gas in it and a battery from another motorcycle.  When I turn the key one click to the right, I get tail lights, instrument lights, turn signal & horn function.  The neutral light comes on with the battery and fuel lights.  No fuel pump, and no click when I hit the start button. 

I have two wires near the battery that I can not find where they go.  They have flag terminals on them.  One of them is blue with a black stripe and the other is blue with a red stripe.  When I stand on the right side of the bike looking at the fuses, the leftmost one has no power to it with a test light.

I have mechanical aptitude, but no experience with these machines and I never saw it with everything where it belonged. So, yes, I could have erred in hooking stuff up.  I also have two 10 inch long pigtails (ground straps) I'm pretty sure are in the wrong place.  Should they go to the coils?

Someone treated me to a ride on one of these a few weeks ago and that lit a fire under me.  I like it!  I want to ride the snot out of this thing!
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

elvisboy77

Re: 98 EV first time, still no go
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »
Hopefully others will chime in but I think there are wiring diagrams available online that would tell you what colored wire goes where........if you can translate fro Italian.

I had a 99EV -it was an awesome bike, so stay with it, it will be worth it!

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 98 EV first time, still no go
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here