Author Topic: Electrical issues  (Read 508 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
Electrical issues
« on: October 02, 2021, 07:37:59 AM »
 We all know how people make out how Italian electrics  are prone to be problematic but after 40 years of Guzzi ownership that never has been an issue with my bikes. So at the end of August I bought a lightly crashed 09 Suzuki V Strom 650 for really good price. It's a bike that I has always had an interest in, and always reading how reliable they are and nothing goes wrong with them. I have to say I really enjoy this bike and it works for me, but the other day I was off on a ride up to Granville Mass for some dirt road exploring and while stopped at a light I notice in my reflection I have no headlights! It can't be. They worked fine for the last month. Well it turns out this is a known issue on V Stroms do to light gage wire and to small connectors and no relays. Lots of pages on the web on it. But of course on my bike I can't find the cause ,  so far its not the usual suspects. So that blew my fantasy of Japanese superiority. I just want to ride this bike not work on it. Thats what my old Guzzis are for. Oh my last Japanese bike I bought a couple of years back was my 09 KLX250 which ate a valve on the highway after less then 6 months and few miles of ownership.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »
My only experience with electrics on Japanese bikes, old Kawasakis, they bind the wires too tight where they flex around the steering stem.
If it looks like power is going into a wire but not coming out the other end, pull each wire really hard, if the copper has broken where it flexes it will stretch.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Electrical issues
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:14 AM »
     Iirc, the guy that runs Eastern Beaver (electrical accessories) first started out his business with headlight relay kits (excellent) to solve a lighting issue on his personal VStrom.

You may want to check out his website for info and availability of a nice easy fix for your bike.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/H4KITS/h4kits.html

fwiw good luck
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here