Author Topic: 850T stalling  (Read 1442 times)

Offline 75Sport

• New Egg
  • This is a round river and we are her fish
    • MotoAuct
850T stalling
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
Hello all,
I've just completed a pretty comprehensive rebuild on my 75 850T. Its got new pistons, barrels, rod and main bearings, timing chain, tensioner, valves, guides and so on. New clutch kit with large spline clutch hub, etc, etc. The bike starts,  runs and shifts absolutely perfect. It's got a nice, deep rumble going down the road. It pulls very nicely under load. It now has about 35 break-in miles on it as of today. I started to notice that the engine would bog down and even die when I'd pull the clutch in.  I pulled it back into my shop to investigate a little more. I thought maybe the clutch was not adjusted correctly, new parts, new cable, right? Some break-in is expected with new parts. Not so much. I didn't like the noise it made when I got it on the lift. With the bike running in neutral, with the slightest bit of clutch lever actuation, it seemed to rattle a bit and bog down and eventually die.  The noise was more prevalent on the left side of the bike and couldn't pinpoint its origin. Well, I fear this may not be a good thing. I am not a Guzzi mechanic, but a pretty darned good mechanic in general. My gut tells me that this may be the crankshaft walking. If the torque value on the crankshaft nut is not torqued correctly, I'd think it would allow for some excess end float on the crank, maybe causing some binding on the moving parts? I ran out of time to dig into more than just a clutch adjustment.
Can I ask the Guzzi experts out there a question?? Is there an outside chance that I can get into the timing chest and confirm/re-torque the crankshaft nut? If it is loose, is this a done deal for the engine I just rebuilt, or can it be saved this early in the break in? No other noises heard while under hard acceleration.
Thanks in advance.
JD
1975 850T V7 Sport tribute
1975 Norton MKIII Roadster
1958 Gilera 150 Sport
1957 MV Agusta CSTL
1972 Honda CB750

pete roper

Re: 850T stalling
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Unlikely to be a loose crank nut. What will cause this sort of problem is excessive wear on the thrust face of the front main bearing. End float is controlled by the length of the front main bearing journal and the depth of the bearing. While there is no specified end float given normally it can be checked by levering the crank forward by sticking a screwdriver through the timing inspection hole and pushing the flywheel forward and then slipping a feeler gauge between the back of the crank sprocket and the front of the front main bearing. 8-12 thou is the usual range. Anything much more than that and it means that the crank may move forward too much when the clutch is engaged and thereby be side loading on the rods and pistons.

pete

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »
Ouch. Sorry. Don't throw anything...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

canuck750

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
Did you have the crank reground and were the oil passages deburred? On my current project 750S I failed to check the crank surface after the regrind and a very tiny bur cut into the front main bearing chewing away on the soft alloy.

Put the bike in neutral, engine off, plugs out, does the crank rotate freely? If not pull the jugs off and then see if it turns freely, if not its probably a crank bearing issue.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here