Author Topic: Riding in the rain.  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Riding in the rain.
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »
Some basic tips.  There are more that should be included like: 1)  Wait and patient for the rain to wash the oil off the road surface.  2)  Avoid the stripes and arrows at intersections for loss of traction.  3)  Do some practice rides in the rain to get a feel for the performance of you bike.

Any others.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tips-for-riding-motorcycles-in-the-rain?cmpid=enews082316&spMailingID=26328965&spUserID=NjMxMTY5MDc5MzIS1&spJobID=864306476&spReportId=ODY0MzA2NDc2S0
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Riding in the rain.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »
Stay out of the middle, that's where the oil is from the cars breather, etc. For that reason, don't cross the center of the lane on an uphill onramp, even when it's dry.
In SoCal, the first few minutes of what they call "rain" is especially treacherous. It washes the accumulated oil up. Give yourself more time to brake.
Enjoy. I do.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
I like riding in the rain when I have the option.  Hate it when I have to.  Have to reset the brain ecu on that. :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »
On an Eldo with drum brakes, just pump the brakes. ALL THE TIME, CONSTANTLY. Or just whenever you need them in a hurry, your choice.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
We have had way too much rain this summer and it always comes down when I'm riding home.. been soaked to many days to count.. tired of it!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:35:46 PM »
We have had way too much rain this summer and it always comes down when I'm riding home.. been soaked to many days to count.. tired of it!

Next time stop and put on your rain gear before it's too late instead of putting it off hoping you won't have to.  :violent1:  This past weekend I was lucky enough to have overpasses to assist me.  :azn:

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »
 The way to prevent rain is to wear your rain gear, all of it.
 If you do this and it rains anyway, it is because someone else is not wearing theirs.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:28 AM »
I just replaced my light rain gear down at the marine supply.  Bought some lightweight Grundeons.  These folks make commercial fishing gear, so they know foul weather and the need to move in gear better than the motorcycle folks in the same price range.

The top is a pullover with a hood that can slip under a helmet to keep the rain off my neck.  When not used that way it's out of the way.  The pants are high bibs with quick disconnect suspenders (guzzi content).  They are bright red with some black on the top. 

My criteria was bib, pullover, weight, moveability, fullness of cut, and ease of getting into and out of.  Cuffs were an extra, and the top has neoprene.  The bottoms are floppy -- no elastic or Velcro to tighten them around the boots.  But they are lined with a material that makes them slip on over boots and pants without dragging or tangling, which makes on and off even already wet an easy chore.

I'm not saying I look forward to the next storm, but when I meet it, I'll be ready.

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:56:15 AM »
Tips to keep your hands dry, if your bike is not equipped with handshields or you don't want to use those ugly mittens.

1) Wear latex gloves under your riding gloves
2) (Even cheaper) wear disposable PET gloves from your grocery shop
3) (For those, like me, that don't like the feeling of options 1 and 2) Spread a thin layer of vaseline on the back of your hands-fingers

More:

Stay away from waterfilled potholes: you never know how deep they are

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »
One simple rule that every rider knows: it will NOT rain as long as you keep your rain gear on. :evil:
So you know what to do.
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:11:02 AM »
Tar snakes are treacherous in the rain.  Some roads are absolutely loaded with them, and they seem to be more common in the mountains on the twisties.  When wet they'll cause the sphincter to tighten :shocked:

I have problems staying comfortable in a summer rain, not so much in a cool season downpour.  The heat and humidity soak me from the inside out, OTOH thunderstorms in the summer can be seriously cold. My normal raingear is just a jacket to keep the torso dry.  The mesh pants dry out fairly quickly while riding.

In the winter, the water resistant and heavier gear works OK since one doesn't tend to get sweaty with all that garb.

With me, it's sometimes a choice between being soaked from rain but not being hot or being soaked with sweat and sweltering under most rain gear.  I suppose I can always wear the rain jacket and just take it off if conditions are too warm.  Sometimes the rain actually feels refreshing.

But riding safely in the rain on a bike is just like in a car.  Just slow down more slowly, speed up more slowly and, most important, remember there are morons out there sharing the road with you.
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »

Maybe Tex will get you one of those WBA patches.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:24:01 AM »
Most of this good advise regarding tar snakes, potholes, etc. assumes good ability to see.  For that reason I do everything I can to avoid riding at night in the rain.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 06:55:55 AM »
The only thing mentioned in the article I find interesting was he mentioned hydroplaning.  Last time I checked it took a speed well over 100mph before a typical motorcycle tire would hydroplane.  Is that still correct?  Or is it mentioned because of those folks with the huge rear tires?

I like all the advice.  I don't get to ride in rain much because around here it is mostly in thunderstorms, and I avoid lightning as much as possible.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:07 AM »
I know I am the oddball but I love riding in rain and even thunderstorms.  It really is quite elemental and somehow makes me feel very connected to nature and my environment.  Yes I ride slower and more cautiously than I do on a dry day, and I try to be extra alert for hazards.

I have even enjoyed being caught (ATGATT) in the occasional hail storm.  There is something very satisfying about sitting on the bike with hail bouncing noisily off my helmet and puffing up my chest when I look at the cage drives and see the amazed looks on their faces.

Of course this is much more enjoyable when inside a nice warm and dry suit, which I admit sort of goes against the whole aesthetic.
I am not saying any of this is rational, but then I have never been accused of that.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
I know I am the oddball but I love riding in rain and even thunderstorms.  It really is quite elemental and somehow makes me feel very connected to nature and my environment.  Yes I ride slower and more cautiously than I do on a dry day, and I try to be extra alert for hazards.

I have even enjoyed being caught (ATGATT) in the occasional hail storm.  There is something very satisfying about sitting on the bike with hail bouncing noisily off my helmet and puffing up my chest when I look at the cage drives and see the amazed looks on their faces.

Of course this is much more enjoyable when inside a nice warm and dry suit, which I admit sort of goes against the whole aesthetic.
I am not saying any of this is rational, but then I have never been accused of that.
I have felt the same way, but only on my Sport or Bandit, which I didn't worry would have any bad effects from rain.  On bikes with sophisticated electronics, I'm trying my best to keep them dry and so the rain is just crummy.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »
I have been in some pretty serious downpours with the Norge (gen1 S/N 007) and have not had any problems. There was one storm where I had to pull over because the water running down my faceplate was too thick to see through.

Also no problems riding in sub zero or 100+ weather. 

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
Last time I checked it took a speed well over 100mph before a typical motorcycle tire would hydroplane.  Is that still correct? 

Back in the previous century I did hydroplane once on the Eldo, nothing exotic about those tires. It only lasted a second, but it was a LONG second.

(EDIT) I was doing about 65 mph in Northern California, and it was on a gentle sweeper doubling as a freeway onramp. A set of Continental K112 in good condition. I could feel the bike float, and we drifted a little bit in the lane.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:09:28 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »
The way to prevent rain is to wear your rain gear, all of it.

Or move to So Ca where it never rains, and thats not a good thing.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »

Any others.

When in doubt, gas it out...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
Over here, if you don't ride in the rain you don't often ride.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:17:48 AM by azguzzirep »
Murphy's  Law sucks!

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
The only thing mentioned in the article I find interesting was he mentioned hydroplaning.  Last time I checked it took a speed well over 100mph before a typical motorcycle tire would hydroplane.  Is that still correct?  Or is it mentioned because of those folks with the huge rear tires?
Anyone with experience regarding hydroplaning?  I've never heard of it happening on a motorcycle.  It is the rounded profile of the tire that prevents it?
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
Anyone with experience regarding hydroplaning?  I've never heard of it happening on a motorcycle.  It is the rounded profile of the tire that prevents it?

Nic , a motorbike can hydroplane , although it is rare . More likely to simply lose traction .

Dusty

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
To my understanding hydroplaning is a risk when either you are heeled over in a turn (don't do that in the rain) or if you get enough traction to lift the front wheel slightly.. 

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »
In general, my rule in heavy rain...SLOW DOWN...about 10-15 mph or MORE...depending on the road conditions. 

Many a rider has lost traction / control and gone down for not following this simple rule...
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
I do ride somewhat differently in rain, besides slowing down I move my body weight when possible to minimize the lean angle in turns, allowing the bike to remain more upright. 
I also don't push so hard coming out of corners.  That last one bit me a couple times when the back wheel kicked out a bit so I don't do it any more.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »

I've ridden in some crazy heavy rain with water in the road.  At night.

The Metzeler ME Z6 front on the Nero Corsa would cut through inches of water like butter.

I did feel the front hydroplane just a little, but rolling off the thottle and slowing a few mph solved that.

Yes, the narrow profile of motorcycle tires reduces the tendency to hydroplane.

Over the past twenty years of riding in a lot of rain, I've always been amazed at how good top-line sport-touring rubber performs in rainy conditions.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
Stay out of the middle, that's where the oil is from the cars breather, etc. For that reason, don't cross the center of the lane on an uphill onramp, even when it's dry.
In SoCal, the first few minutes of what they call "rain" is especially treacherous. It washes the accumulated oil up. Give yourself more time to brake.
Enjoy. I do.

The days of engine breathrs have long passed. It's all recirculated and fed into the intake system to be burned.
BUT, we still have the center oil stripe due to gasket leaks, and the oil is further spread by transverse mounted FWD cars. When a F or R main goes the oil is almost in the wheel track.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
I've ridden in some crazy heavy rain with water in the road.  At night.

The Metzeler ME Z6 front on the Nero Corsa would cut through inches of water like butter.

I did feel the front hydroplane just a little, but rolling off the thottle and slowing a few mph solved that.

Yes, the narrow profile of motorcycle tires reduces the tendency to hydroplane.

Over the past twenty years of riding in a lot of rain, I've always been amazed at how good top-line sport-touring rubber performs in rainy conditions.
I've always been surprised at how good the traction was in standing water.  Doesn't seem logical, but the bike just goes right through.  Have to think that fresh tires with good groove depth can't hurt.  I would think that on a dry road, a slick gives better traction due to more tire/road contact.  In the wet, a slick would tend to hydroplane more than a deeply grooved tire.  If true, it raises interesting questions about how to maximize traction in both wet and dry - assuming a slick actually will hydroplane more than a grooved tire like I assume. Physics!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Hydroplaning is when the tire can't get to the road for the water.  That almost always means the tire is going so fast it doesn't have time to sink, combined with the tendency of the tire to want to ride over it's own bow wake.  With that simple breakdown it's easy to see that with enough water and the right speed, any tire can hydroplane.  Tires have grooves in part to give the water somewhere to go.  But if there's so much water or the speed is great enough that the water can't squish out.  Swamp racers use hydroplaning as a feature, not a problem, so it's a predictable phenomenon. 

In the big storm I rode through, I "hydroplaned".  I was ~1500# on three wheels with adv-type block tread, and the wind was pushing me sideways into the retaining wall like I was on ice skates.  I estimate about 3" of standing water, more coming down at probably 5"/hr, and speeds up to about 50 -- any faster and I couldn't purchase enough road to steer.  I had to be down about 30 or less to feel like I had road under me.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here