Author Topic: Deer whistles  (Read 8560 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Deer whistles
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
One little known fact about the deer whistles is that you DO NOT want to accidentally Instead of warning away deer, they become a deer call! mount them backwards! It'll attract them!  :boozing:
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
It's a funny thing. The highways around here are filled with crushed squirrels, possums, racoons, deer, et al...caught in the kill zone. However, on the bicycle trails there are no dead animals...none. My observation is that fauna just can't conceive that anything can move faster than about 25mph. Even if they hear you, if you are not within a certain distance they figure that they're safe.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
It's a funny thing. The highways around here are filled with crushed squirrels, possums, racoons, deer, et al...caught in the kill zone. However, on the bicycle trails there are no dead animals...none. My observation is that fauna just can't conceive that anything can move faster than about 25mph. Even if they hear you, if you are not within a certain distance they figure that they're safe.

Also possible that a bicycle couldn't kill most animals anyhow ..... ?   Even if it "hit" them.   The bicyclist is going to be the one in trouble ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
     People are more unpredictable than deer and there are a lot more of them. Chances of getting hit by a car are probably greater than hitting or being hit by a deer, just more of a surprise.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
Come on get real, deer don't have whistles anyway.
 And turkeys only do that to get invited for dinner.

I thought you guys knew.  Deer can't whistle.  They can only hum.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Penderic

Re: Deer whistles ... Dog Lips?
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
Yep. Dog Lips.

Penderic

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
Happy Doggie!

Penderic

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
Any more of those Naughty Type Deer Whistles for sale?

:boozing:

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »

...only wolf whistles.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »

Forget it.   The rutting season doesn't start until November .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline quota

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 02:07:34 PM »
My experience with the deer whistles is that you will think they work great, until you hit a deer.  Then, you learn they don't work so well.  Of the 6 deer that I've hit (2 on motorcycles, 4 in cars/trucks) one of the motorcycle strikes had the stupid little whistles, and 2 of the cars had the whistles.  I've learned to do my best to avoid riding through deer country at peak activity hours.  Also hit a coyote and a few rabbits with the deer whistles attached to bikes.  However, I've never hit any moose, cows, horses, or zebras.  Did barely miss an elk.  Glad I did. 

I'm convinced that they work well for those who use them and have been lucky enough to never hit a deer. From personal experience, I KNOW that they don't work all of the time.

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »
 Like those silly bug repellent thingies , there is absolutely no evidence that deer whistles work .
It is important to remember , deer aren't stupid , but their entire survival mechanism relies on being completely unpredictable . Same technique works for us smaller guys also ...

Dusty

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »
...Of the 6 deer that I've hit....Also hit a coyote and a few rabbits....Did barely miss an elk....
Let me know where you ride, so I can avoid that area. :grin:
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
     People are more unpredictable than deer and there are a lot more of them. Chances of getting hit by a car are probably greater than hitting or being hit by a deer, just more of a surprise.

Can you buy bicycle whistles to warn those unpredictable bicyclists?  Would they work?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
Can you buy bicycle whistles to warn those unpredictable bicyclists?  Would they work?
I'm quite sure that  bicyclists that ride out in the lane instead of over on the side, especially those riding two abreast do not have the necessary organ to hear or process anything.

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
I have had two deer incidents related to motorcycles. The first happened in Idaho on a winding mountain road, when a doe bolted across my path while I was doing about 40 (on a BMW R1150RT). I tried to avoid her as she saw me, and she did an about face and scrambled on the tarmac like a cartoon character, without getting traction. I struck her in the rear at about 25 mph and spun her around. As I went into the ditch, she got to her feet and struck off back to the other side of the road, obviously not hurt badly. I went into a sandy, steep sided ditch and managed to stop 5 feet short of the trees, mainly because of the sand bogging me down, like a truck escape ramp. Getting up out of the ditch with the loaded bike took me a half hour!
    A few years ago I was returning from a trip to pick up 3 old Moto Guzzi loopframe basket cases. Had one in the back of the truck, and two on a trailer at night on Highway 54 in Kansas. Suddenly, there was a deer standing in the middle of my lane that I noticed when she looked at me and her eyes lit up with my headlights. I had no real time to think, except that I steered into the other lane and passed her rear, just barely. Whew! that was close. In neither instance did I have any time to grab a whistle, let alone evaluate the situation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:40:16 PM by Lee Davis »
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
I have an idea. They understand predators, right? Well- you could mount a mortar of sorts with multiple barrels. The charges would have an evil concoction of panther, bear, and wolverine urine. When you are approaching, discharge the entire array so it lays down a withering barrage of predator piss to scare them off.  Of course, there are details to be worked out in terms of velocity, trajectory, and spread. However, the most daunting task would be collecting more urine.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
https://www.predatorpee.com
No problem collecting urine.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
I pee in my yard.   :evil:  Must work.  No deer.  No mtn. lions, rabbits, skunks, rabbits, coyotes, dogs, chickens. No elephant, ducks, geese, turkeys.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:21 AM »
I pee in my yard.   :evil:  Must work.  No deer.  No mtn. lions, rabbits, skunks, rabbits, coyotes, dogs, chickens. No elephant, ducks, geese, turkeys.  :grin:

You live on 5th Avenue in NY ?
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »
After hitting one years back I placed some cheap ones under the floorboards. I figured what the heck. Giving the bike a thorough cleaning a few months later I found them stuffed with road debris. No way they were doing anything.
The one I slammed broadside appeared magically out of nowhere. I mean like right now. No time for any evasive maneuvers.
Was able to keep the bike upright.
Am not paranoid but more vigilant now. Should of been on condition yellow. NWPA, dusk and rut time.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »

OK then, so what we have to do is send Tom a whole mess of bottles then feed him a steady diet of asparagus. He'll fill the bottles and send them off to the group.   We then can sprinkle the Eau de Tom over out bikes and gear as a preventative.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
Remember back when or grand parents had St. Christofer medals on the dashboard or on the floor hump.  No science to back it up but made them feel good.  I've never read a deer whistle story backed by proof.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
If I was to put whistles on my bike they would be dog type.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 02:34:20 AM »
You live on 5th Avenue in NY ?

No.  :grin:  I visit a lot over on 9th St. and 1st. Ave.  One block over from St. Marks Place and around the corner from Coyote Ugly.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:25 AM »
OK then, so what we have to do is send Tom a whole mess of bottles then feed him a steady diet of asparagus. He'll fill the bottles and send them off to the group.   We then can sprinkle the Eau de Tom over out bikes and gear as a preventative.

You supply the beer.  I'll come over and whizz in your yard.  :grin: 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here