Author Topic: If I was/were to do one more Guzzi ...  (Read 2265 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
If I was/were to do one more Guzzi ...
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
In my garage at this very moment are 3 motorcycles that, in their own unique way, are wonderful machines.  There's the 1991 BMW R100GS, with nearly 160,000 miles on the clock.  I've owned this bike for slightly over 28 years, and have recently 'invested' a small potful of dollars to keep her rideable.  Next in line is the Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, which has served me so well for nearly 10 riding seasons and 68,000 miles.  Lastly, there's the smaller Honda CB1100 that's been here since 2017.

The BMW stays.  I still enjoy an afternoon on this very familiar old bike. I was 48 years old when I first decided to ride an airhead Beemer, and was initially disappointed in it.  But somehow, the magic hit me, I grew to love this old machine, and we've been motoring together for a long time.  That won't end.

The Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport.  Probably won't stay.  This has been a lovely machine, especially great as a mile eater on longer trips.  She is feeling a bit heavy (top heavy) for me as I get older.  I will hate to see her go.  But she'll have to go.  Never been dumped or dropped, and I don't want to be the one that does that.

The Honda CB1100.  Initially, the ride was really rough.  However, with lighter weight Ikon shocks and some front fork work, much closer to an ideal ride.  Still need to experiment with heavier weight fork oil to better control the rebound damping,  The inline four engine is quite nice, with torque down low, and a really good rush when some throttle is applied, especially in 2nd and 3rd gears.  But, after nearly 8000 miles, little bonding.

Lately, I've stumbled across a handful of Griso videos on YouTube that really pull at me.  Yes, I owned a lovely 2012 Griso that I sold primarily because it was extremely rough on some of our battered secondary roads, and that's where I like to ride.

So, to the reason for this post.  Griso.

I'd do one more, this late in my riding game.  Although it weighs nearly as much as the 1200 Sport, the weight is much lower, and the bike was easier for me to manage, plus I was lower to the ground.  Such an unusual bike. I don't think Guzzi made anything like it before, nor does it appear they will do so in the near term.  I'd be willing to work with Race Tech or similar to get the suspension to the point where it works for me.  Other than that, maybe adjustable foot pegs, and a few other odds and ends.  It probably wouldn't be my traveling bike, but simply my fun ride.

Don't know where this will end up, but, at the moment, I've got Griso on my mind.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:20:25 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: If I was/were to do one more Guzzi ...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
The Griso is a beautiful bike...a neat one in a lot of ways. I think there are still some leftovers even.

But they are still tall and heavy compared to say a smallblock.

And smallblocks are kinda similar to airheads in a lot of ways.

Have you considered one? Tried one?

I am absolutely smitten with ours.

Though I confess I'm starting to list after the V9 Bobber/Bobber Sport!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:10:43 PM »
The Griso is a beautiful bike...a neat one in a lot of ways. I think there are still some leftovers even.

But they are still tall and heavy compared to say a smallblock.

And smallblocks are kinda similar to airheads in a lot of ways.

Have you considered one? Tried one?

I am absolutely smitten with ours.

Though I confess I'm starting to list after the V9 Bobber/Bobber Sport!
Kev, the only smallblock I've ever ridden was an early 750 Breva. I wasn't horribly impressed, but then again, I wasn't impressed with my R100GS when I first rode it.  My lasting impression of the 'baby' Breva was that it was under-powered and wound out way too early in the lower gears.  Having said that, my good riding buddy could whip me up the tight winding roads leading up to the BRP.  And it was a really neat lightweight touring bike, with HB bags and a small windshield.

I probably do owe it to myself to spend some time on a couple of the newer small-blocks.

Bob

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
How far are you from Accident, MD?

The Guzzi demo "fleet" - 3 V85s, 1 V9 Bobber Sport, and 1 V7III Stone will be there 6/28 & 6/29. Could be worth the trip.

Fwiw, the V7III makes something like 25% more hp than the B750. It's not a powerhouse, but makes respectable power which is close to that of the 1100 Tonti Cali models before say the Cal-Vin.

The V9 makes just a little more on paper, but it punches above that weight class.

Oh, and that weight class is ~450# wet! They feel light and nimble.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »
Kev, the only smallblock I've ever ridden was an early 750 Breva. I wasn't horribly impressed, but then again, I wasn't impressed with my R100GS when I first rode it.  My lasting impression of the 'baby' Breva was that it was under-powered and wound out way too early in the lower gears.  Having said that, my good riding buddy could whip me up the tight winding roads leading up to the BRP.  And it was a really neat lightweight touring bike, with HB bags and a small windshield.

I probably do owe it to myself to spend some time on a couple of the newer small-blocks.

Bob

You really should try a V7III.  Come on down to Tennessee and we can swap bikes for a ride.  Mine is set up with Bitubo shocks and Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:44:08 PM »
Thanks for that info on guzzi / accident md. I bought my stornello there. I'm 130 miles from there. I'd like to ride the bobber or roamer. I'm going to check out thunder in the valley this wknd. Johnstown pa. Guzzi was there last year but I'm not sure about this year. Haven't seen anything listed.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
Thanks for that info on guzzi / accident md. I bought my stornello there. I'm 130 miles from there. I'd like to ride the bobber or roamer. I'm going to check out thunder in the valley this wknd. Johnstown pa. Guzzi was there last year but I'm not sure about this year. Haven't seen anything listed.

That demo fleet will be in West Chester, PA this Friday and Saturday.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
The Griso was calling to me for a year and I finally did it. I had to give in.
Even with my little bit of difficulty with the fuel cap drain today I am glad I got it.
Small blocks are nice too. I agree that they are probably the closest thing to an airhead BMW but better.
I enjoy my baby Breva but think the V7 would be even better. (mostly looks)
Change your title to 'If I were to do two more Guzzis'

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 09:42:16 PM »
I echo everything Kev said about the modern small block Guzzi.  If you grok an old airhead, you will grok a Guzzi small block. 

Personally, I have found that the typical aficionado of the small blocks is an intelligent fellow with impeccable taste and judgment exceeded only by his supreme confidence in his manhood.   Like Kev.   

Seriously, I like them because they are light, nimble, do-everything street bikes for the one up rider.  The more you ride them the more you like them.

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »

Don't know where this will end up, but, at the moment, I've got Griso on my mind.

Bob

I recently succumbed to the calling of a Griso and do not regret it one iota.   I also own a V7 which is dear to me, but the Griso ups the wow factor over the V7.  It is an amazing machine.  Once the fueling is transformed by one of Beetle's amazing maps the motor is absolutely captivating!  I have had some high performance sport bike tackle in my day, but the Griso is more fun in the twisties than any of them.

Do not ignore the call of the Griso!    :laugh:

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 05:29:44 AM »
Bob, since you have mentioned concerns over the weight of the bikes, I would agree with Kev. Take a run down to Cadre and check out their stuff. Take a ride on a V7/3 and a V9. I think you would be surprised.

John Henry

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments and alternative suggestions.

John, is the owner's name 'Enzo' at Cadre?  I've not been there, yet.  Couple of things I'd like to talk over with him.  I know I'd take a real bath trading the 1200 Sport on a new Guzzi, so as you suggested a while back, perhaps he could discuss consignment with me.  From what I've read on WG, Cadre sounds like a really good dealership.

Re weight of my bikes.  The R100GS is tall, but weighs in somewhere around 475 lbs, I think, so it is still manageable.  The Honda CB1100 probably weighs as much as the 1200 Sport, but carries its weight low and feels narrow, so she's heavy but easy to ride.  B11 and 12S owners my size may understand the 'weight up high' issue I'm having with the bike.

You know, I might just dust off the Sport today and head out for a couple hundred miles, in the country, where weight is of a lot less concern,  without all the traffic and stop and go riding.  Checking weather report as I type.

Later,

Bob
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:09:57 PM by ohiorider »

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
The more you ride them the more you like them.

This.  Smallblocks (at least the V7's) are a bit hard to appreciate on a test ride, but after living with one for awhile it really starts to sink in.  For me (previous owner of a bunch of big blocks including a Norge and Griso) I have found the V7 to be the most satisfying of all.  They are light and carry the weight they have low which makes them surprisingly easy to handle.  And they have classic looks and sound.  Mine has been unfailingly reliable. 

If you get a chance to ride one, I would suggest not so much trying to flog it, but focusing on just riding it and cornering.  They are not race bikes, but instead induce you to relax and enjoy riding a motorcycle.  Having a V7 caused me to quickly reconnect with my early years of motorcycling back in the '70's when I rode just to be out in the air and on the road. 

The only negative (and this may have been remedied to some extent with the V7III) is a very harsh factory suspension, but it is not a big deal to fix and the bikes are pretty inexpensive to begin with. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
If the 12s is getting too heavy, the Griso won’t feel significantly less so.  Your a few years older than when you last had a Griso, age eventually wears on a dude.  If I were you I would ride all three varieties of small block, v7iii, v9, and v85.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 12:23:28 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments and alternative suggestions.

John, is the owner's name 'Enzo' at Cadre?  I've not been there, yet.  Couple of things I'd like to talk over with him.  I know I'd take a real bath trading the 1200 Sport on a new Guzzi, so as you suggested a while back, perhaps he could discuss consignment with me.  From what I've read on WG, Cadre sounds like a really good dealership.

Re weight of my bikes.  The R100GS is tall, but weighs in somewhere around 475 lbs, I think, so it is still manageable.  The Honda CB1100 probably weighs as much as the 1200 Sport, but carries its weight low and feels narrow, so she's heavy but easy to ride.  B11 and 12S owners my size may understand to 'weight up high' issue I'm having with the bike.

You know, I might just dust off the Sport today and head out for a couple hundred miles, in the country, where weight is of a lot less concern,  without all the traffic and stop and go riding.  Checking weather report as I type.

Later,

Bob

Bob, I have a messed up lower back with nerve damage and I am going down fighting.  I devote a couple hours a day to strength training and walk 2 miles a day and pedal stationary pedals for an hour a day while on the computer, Xbox, or watching YouTube.  If you really love the sport you might want to consider some strength training.  Just a thought.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »
I have a 1200 Griso and a new V85 currently sitting side by side in my garage.  I just went and sat on them both for comparison.  The Griso felt heavy, but I was able to flat foot it when holding it upright.

The V85 is a little lighter in weight (spec say 24 lbs), but because if the upright bars feels even more lighter.  However, I'm unable to get both feet flat on the ground simultaneously.  A lower seat might help, but at the expensive of the cushioning.

You need to try both, Bob.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
Just pulled in a few minutes ago after riding 237 miles on the 1200 Sport.  To paraphrase Father Flannigan of Boys Town Nebraska, "she ain't heavy Father, she's my Moto Guzzi."  Not quite true!  Must say though, on the right roads, the old Sport is a sweet bike.  Many of my favorite roads were under high water south of Wooster, Ohio, but fortunately, SR95 out of Wooster wasn't.  A stretch of a couple of miles runs thru Funk Bottom, and the high water was licking at the shoulders of the road, but fortunately, all dry highway.

The CB1100 will cruise at 80mph, but not with the same feel (how to explain??)    The R100GS feels like I could pull back on the stick at 80mph, and we'd take off.  The old Guzzi doesn't care where she runs .....60 ....90.....75.  It's all the same to that old bike.

I appreciate all the comments.  Bad Chad is right.  It has been 7 years and a 2nd open heart surgery ago since I did a fly and ride and picked up the Griso in Dahlonega after Guzzi Steve did his thing, and I headed back to Ohio.  TwoWheel Addict makes a very good point.  I need to get back on the exercise bandwagon.  Alanp and Kiwi Dave, that's probably the next step.

So, where am I with all this?  Maybe next time on a nice day, a ride from home to Cadre to see what's new in the world of Guzzi.

Bob

EDIT:  it's now 6:30pm.  Time for some involvement with the Honda.  Unfortunately, the Honda lawn mower.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:03:57 PM by ohiorider »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »
My 2 cents.  You sold the first Griso for a reason (Tenni green!), so your logic of buying another makes zero sense.  But a Griso will do that.  I've been tempted by the fever ever since I rode a new '09 "moon white" 8V  10 years ago.  They're not getting any lighter as WE get older.  Check out the V7/V9 line.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:20:49 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »
I'm getting so all my bikes have roles. In town, the Piaggio BV500 is excellent. It gets 55 mpg, has gobs of locking luggage, a CVT transmission, and will go 100mph. It's my driest ride and 430 lbs light, too. My BMW R1200RS is my traveler. Fast, safe, comfortable (if you spend a few extra bucks to make it fit), and great handling/braking. It is as stable at 100 mph as it is at 60. Since buying it in early 2017, the only problem I had with it was I found the brakes a little touchy at low speeds This bike is a revolution to an old timer like me. Absolutely amazing balance and superbly thought out technology. The conventional USD forks make the steering very linear. Great bike. Relegated to weekend mental health rides and rallies, the California Vintage has earned a home for life. The Beemer and the Piaggio are a pragmatic's dream-come-true, but that Guzzi is the one that tugs my heart strings. Honestly, if the thing ever gets completely worn out I'll drain the fluids and move it in the house. I hardly use that desk, anyway. It would look great there.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
My all time favorite airhead was my R80ST. To me, it was the best of all the airhead displacements. I sold it to someone who wanted it bad enough to meet the stupid high price I gave him.
I regretted selling it, but the V7 I bought is very much like that R80. So much, that I doubt I ever sell it. It is as close as you can get to an airhead in a modern bike.
I will part with my calvin before my V7.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »
Hey Bob,

I had a 2V 1100 Griso and went through way too much to like the bike. I will say that the front suspension was excellent. I thought the 1200S was way more practical as an all rounder and the "sit in vs. sit on" ergos suited me much better. I sold the 1200S for a BMW R1200R- a close market competitor. The BMW carries its weight much lower and seems much easier to move around. Much better 0-5 parking lot handling. The engine has a good amount of torque.  The 4VDOHC BMW engine is a great mill.

The V7 is a great machine, but I feel like it runs out of gas a bit on hills. I would like to try the V9.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here