Author Topic: How many Guzzi issue/problems have you had over the last 5 riding seasons?  (Read 6947 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
We often complain about problems with our Guzzi's. But over the last 5 riding seasons, I've only had 3 problems on my '08 1200 Sport. The first 2 kept me off the road but were easily fixed, thanks to member's responses on this forum!...

1.) Startus Interuptus (got the kit and no more problems)
2.) Leaking paper valve cover gasket sprayed oil on my jeans. (replaced with silicon rubber ones, no leaks)

3.) The third one involved my oil pressure sending unit. twice it went bad Due to spraying water in that area when washing the bike. Able to ride it but couldn't read the items on the LCD display. An annoyance (replaced it with a new style unit and smeared silicone rubber around it to keep water out)

I find my 1200 Sport to be very reliable over the last 5 riding seasons.

How many problems have you had with your Guzzi's over the last 5 years? Did any of them keep you off the road?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:51:42 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
Results should be queried and graphed to keep from getting one sided perspective of quality.  How many owner have not had issues?  How many issues were related to the owner, environment, accidents, tip overs or other causes outside of Moto Guzzi's control?

I have not had any issues from my 2003 California.  Every time it has been on the lift it has something to do with maintenance or elective surgery. I am happy with my Guzzi and trust it to be a very dependable motorcycle. 

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
How many problems have you had with your Guzzi's over the last 5 years?
'71 Ambo:  Battery failure, used AMA roadside assistance to summon a flatbed hauler to bring it home.  Only got 4.5 years of service on that old battery, I was expecting 5.... :huh:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:15:22 PM by Yeahoo Whoyah »
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
I keep wearing out both the front & rear tires! oh yes ... and one side stand support cracked after only 34 years of service.  :angel:
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
V7 (series 1) that I bought in 2014 had a bad starter.  Died the 2nd day I had the bike.  Otherwise, not a bit of trouble that I didn't cause myself.  No issues with the Norge I got later.  I've been very happy.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
I really do love my Norge but...Roller job, Oil sending unit leaking, muffler falling apart, Right lower fairing plastic melting against the header, five flats. The T-3, throttle cables.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Just the usual maintenance items except it looks like the Monza needs new oil seals on the transmission pushrod. Fortunately, I pawned it off on the Kid.. :evil: :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
The only problems I've had were ones I caused myself , can't fault Guzzi on any of them.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

elvisboy77

None.  2016 Eldorado, 2017 Anniversario.  FLAWLESS!

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Over the last 5 years I have had a 2007 Griso, a V11 Lemans, and a V7II Stone (my current Guzzi).  They all got roughly equal riding time, 5 to 7k miles on each bike within the 5 yr. window.

The Griso I bought new in 2009 and never had a single issue with.
The V11 Lemans had a crank position sensor? fail, which took a few months to diagnose.
The V7II has 6600 miles on it and has had no issues so far.

I must say though, prior to these I had a 2007 Norge that nearly soured me on the brand (but apparently, I got over it).  It easily holds the record for most unreliable bike I have owned.  Numerous issues, mostly electrical, one fatal.   
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
New rotor on the T3, new regulator & toasted the battery. Had cleaned up some connections- found more to clean!
LM2 electrical gremlin - earth/connection most likely.

Looking at the crud on the T3 connections I�d say she�s done pretty well.

A few years back the V11 had “relay issues” however cleaning up the earth sorted that too
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
None, I worked the bugs out my bikes 20-30 yrs ago, I got sick of changing oil pressure sender on Cali 2, lite hasn't worked in 20yrs  AND it runs just fine w/o it.
I usually fix other folks stuff not mine.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
I looked back on the last 5 years of riding the Guzzi. Zero problems and issues. I did let my inside spark plugs go a little long and replacing them made the bike run smoother. My only real problem was with the plastic dipstick. I replaced it with a metal one that goes outside of the fairing and all is well. (that was more than 5 years ago) I have been very happy with the quality of my Guzzi.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
I managed to blow up a 74 Eldo I built from spare parts that were used junk to begin with. (Trying to keep up with Michael D and his buddy  :laugh: ) I made enough money selling it to buy a sweet  2005 Bonneville. The guy I sold it to made lots more money parting it out. Life is good.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Coming from Hondas and Yamahas, the Breva was my first and only Guzzi.  I can honestly say, if it hadn't been for MPH being who they were, its doubtful I would still have the Breva.

First year, failed dash, lots of oil pressure errors, failed starter on an out of town trip, lots of pinging.  Mike at MPH, took very good care of me and fixed everything except the pinging.  never got  that fixed until I got a new map for a 1200.

second year, leaking throttle bodies, transmission bearing failure, key failures, and more oil can and oil pressure errors.

third year,  the gas gauge started working when it wanted to.  Low fuel light works fine, the gauge not so much.  the on and off starter not working finally got fixed with MPH's startus inerruptus solution.

fourth, fifth, no issues.  Flawless, just maintenance

Sixth, battery died.

Seventh, no issues.

eight year, oil weepping from oil pressure sensor.  No one had one, finally matched one from autozone and its been good ever since.  no leaks, no errors, nothing.

ninth year, had a valve cover gasket let go, oil went everywhere, not leaking, just went.

tenth year, no issues.

this year, blown fork seal, and rear brake issue.

I have owned this bike for more years and more miles than any other motorcycle I have ever owned, except for a FT500, which I should have never sold, still miss that bike.

I don't know why, but I just feel connected the Breva.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
A white V7 Stone, bought new in March 2013. 21000 km since. Faults: a slightly leaking sealing at the rear axle, two broken upper shock holder screws because of a misaligned OEM luggage rack. Otherwise: nothing.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Over the journey I've had very few issues that I didn't play somewhat of a role in causing.
Leaving them aside, there's been..
#1.
Flat battery from the get go, was replaced with a new one under warranty, dealer said the one I got in it (from new), was already old.
He reckons they bunged a shagged one in for delivery, bike was an '07 and purchased new in'08, so had sat around for a while.
#2.
Fairing mounting frame cracked and sagged due to a lack of gusseting in a critical location.
A local aircraft LAME fabricated and TIG welded a lovely folded gusset and no further drama.
#3.
Startus mod.
Outside the Collosseum of all places. Bumped started it down the hill and did the mod immediately when back in Oz. Just pulled the yellow wire, sealed it off and stuffed a fused heavy duty wire straight into the plug. Slam dunk.
#4.
First oil switch @ 60,000 and another @ 135,000.
#5.
Neutral light switch connector upgrade.
#6.
Electric windscreen motor weak as piss, would not crank against wind pressure.
Replaced with upgraded one under warranty early on.
Can't think of anything else significant.
Multitudinous modifications, but nothing that "needed" to be done, just a taste thing.
Oh BTW..
Y'all better halve that list, I was supposed to cover 5 years...
That was 10.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:56:26 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero

I must say though, prior to these I had a 2007 Norge that nearly soured me on the brand (but apparently, I got over it).  It easily holds the record for most unreliable bike I have owned.  Numerous issues, mostly electrical, one fatal.
That's a bit scary..
Mine's an '07 Norge and I know you're not a tosser, so what problems did you have Alan ?

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
'09 Norge: neutral sensor, oil pressure sensor, leaky CARC, numerous blown valve cover gaskets, broken cat inside muffler caused excess back-pressure under load (had to replace muffler), tabs on fairing lowers broke, battery died (but only after 5 years; the only issue that stranded me). Except for the dead battery, the problems were all resolved in the first 10-15 K miles; over the last 40 K miles of the bike's life, it had zero issues.

'07 Norge: startus interrruptus has been only problem over 11 K miles. This is my main bike now, and I'm happy that it has, so far, had fewer issues than my '09 Norge had early in its life.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Aside from startus interteruptus on the Breva, which I fixed with parts from Advance Auto and the help of this board.... The only problems my Breva 1100 had were caused by a shoddy service from what used to be one of the S.East's most trusted dealers...

Other than that, the vent/drain tube from my filler cap collar out the bottom of the tank is clogged. I'm just waiting for an opportune time to address it (at home with an empty tank and a little time to fix it)

Now the v65 has cause me a boatload of heartache, but some of that was/is self inflicted.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
I've done a great deal of riding in the last five years and my '07 Vintage has been flawless. In fact, the only problems I've had in eleven years (apart from a few flats) is a leaky valve gasket and a popped-off in-tank fuel line. Neither of these issues stranded me...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
Hundreds :grin:. Life would be so uninteresting if nothing ever went wrong :evil:

Nick

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero

Those dang valve adjustments and tire changes are KILLIN' ME! I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealer! :angry:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
2012 Norge purchase 11/23/13

11/27/13   Oil leak oil leak on left head. Replaced 2ring seals. 6 weeks for parts to arrive, warrany

12/15/13. Muffler fell off in route, replaced under warranty

3/2/14. Exhaust gasket on right head blew out, warranty

6/24/15. Fuel tanked swelled to the point the handlebars hit. Rear lcaliper bolt frozen and ruined the caliper during tire change.. warranty

11/20/15. Purchased. 4 year extended warranty

12/18/15.  Exhaust flange studs on left head sheared off,  all 4replaced uncer extended warranty

3/1/17  oil pressure switch leaking, replaced under extended warranty

7/1/27. Oil leak. Rear vent tubes along with scatola portafiltro completa(whatever this is) peplaced under extended warranty. 7 weeks for parts to arrive

I think this is all, however i may have missed a few.  I am still riding the moto, my wife thinks that i am a fool.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
Not in the last 5 yrs but thought I'd mention this in. '90 Mille Gt; cracked crank shaft, 3 teeth broken off ring gear, teeth chipped on pinion gear,chrome chipping off fork sliders & 1st flat in 20 yrs 60 miles from Frans location. Sent the rear drive to dealer/ importer Fran Contaldi in NC, 280 miles away  & they returned it w/o the lower shock stud. I mounted it & found a close enough bolt to hold but stopped avery 40 miles or so to tap it in. He declined to pick me up..All within the 1st 2600 miles. Fran Contaldi, M/G importer @ the time said I didn't know how to ride a Guzzi (after many motorcycles). After due persistance he bought the bike back.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Quota:  Had a valve cover gasket go south on me 600 miles from the nearest dealer.  Also a broken exhaust stud on that same trip.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
My Breva 750 has never had a problem except for;
(1) the gearbox

(2) the gearbox

(3) the gearbox

and while it is off the road for winter (4) the gearbox.

Luigi and his mates really had on off day when they built mine.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
I've had quite an adventure with my GRiSO over the past 2yrs/5months and 20 thousand miles.
Listed below are the issues that have plagued me and have left me stranded.

Thank You for your time...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
All of my guzzi’s have been sitting in the garage for the past five years—— so no problems 😂😂😂

Offline Guzzi relic

• New Egg
At the risk of jinxing myself; in the last five years --- my idiot light for oil pressure started coming on a few weeks back. I have a gauge plumbed in so I knew there wasn't a problem. Replaced the light sender, (Napa, less than $10).
I think it was in '13 or '14 I smoked the generator belt about 30 minutes south of Tobermory. Rode the last few miles without issue.  I carry a spare and swapped it out while waiting for the ferry to arrive. Much to the enjoyment of other riders and motorists waiting for the boat. "Never heard of a Moto Guzzi, who makes that?"  "You gotta be crazy traveling on an old bike like that." "Hey, look at this bro! This old bike has a fan belt".

Prior to this era; just after buying the bike and putting it back together in 2005, second gear broke in the five speed. The gearbox was about the only component I hadn't opened up and when I did I found some very rusty parts including the broken gears. I guess at some point in its life it had sat for a long time with water rather than oil in the box. I bought an Ambo 4 spd and its worked fine ever since.
And in 2006 while at the Ontario Guzzi riders rally in Utopia one of the distributor cap hold down clips went AWOL. The cap was dancing around and I had to hold it in place with my right hand while steering with my left until I could get to the side of the road and shut it off. Yes I was getting zapped in the process. The tie wraps I used to temporarily hold the cap down are still there...  :embarrassed:

I should mention --- its a '74 Eldo with timing chain, disc brake and Amal carbs.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:39:47 PM by Guzzi relic »
I wonder where this goes?

1974 Eldorado
1976 Convert

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here