Author Topic: How many Guzzi issue/problems have you had over the last 5 riding seasons?  (Read 6947 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
I'm on my third goose.
1st: 04 California EV, rear drive shift seal, in 5000 miles
2nd: 07 CalVin, odometer failure ( cable and odometer both) in 6k miles
3rd: 2015 1400 tourer, 1500 miles, no issues as of yet.
I hope this will be my last bike, unless it gets to heavy as I get older and need a lighter bike to keep ridding.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Our first (used) 06 Breva had a rear seal that needed changed soon after purchase.  The bike had been sitting stationary for quite a while before purchase and possibly that may have helped create some sort of issue with the seal?  I noticed some flecks of oil on the rear rim after a trip to Lake Placid and back. 
We had the seal changed out and then the only other (almost an) issue was to do the "startus interuptus" on it.  She ALMOST didn't start once while coming back from a trip.  Did the mod the next day. No issues after that.
We had approximately 53,000 miles on her when she was sold to make room for a 15 Stelvio NTX.  The current owner is still putting miles on the big B.

Next up was the Stelvio NTX.   I tried to take care of all the "known issue" mods when I got the bike.  Off the top of my head, I did the Euro indicator change, aprilia mirrors, and auxiliary lights wiring mod.  I ordered, but didn't immediately install the new spark plug caps.  Mistake!  The big NTX started on one cylinder one day.  Upon starting there was a strong "fuel" smell and no power when underway.  Luckily, a quick stop and start remedied the issue.  No fuel smell and regular power were back.  The new NGK caps were installed the next day.  Oh...the front fairing was getting very close to falling off.  I put a few miles on the big girl and then decided it was time to go over the nuts and bolts...check for anything missing and the like.  I found that half of the bolts holding the front fairing on were either gone or barely holding on by a thread or two.  Not good. 
I'll give the clutch "squalk" an honorable mention.  As far as I know, it didn't cause any problems...I just didn't like the nasty sound and "grabbiness" of the clutch on the 1st starts of the day.  I think we let her go with around 18,000 miles on the clock.  Replaced by the Capo 1200.

Enter the second 06 Breva 1100.  The first real issue we encountered was the crank position sensor not sensing!  She started fine at the PO's house, but when we got back home after the 5 hour trip,  she was a "no-starter".  Getting fuel, but no spark.  Taking the suggestions of the forum...and since I was going to be taking the tank off anyway,  I popped the tank off and began investigating.  For the heck of it,  I disconnected the phase sensor and other connections and cleaned them and added some dielectric grease while I was in there.  After a nice "click" of the connector and putting the tank back on,  I turned the key.  Woohoo!  No red triangle.  I ordered another phase sensor just in case, but we've put a couple thousand miles since then without issues.
We did the "startus interuptus" mod *Thanks to Bob!...and changed out the fuel filter for a preemptive strike against known "could happens".

richy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:56:40 AM by rdbandkab »

Offline lorengo70

• New Egg
V7 II purchased in 2016, now has 35k km. First year, had to replace final transmission gasket as it was leaking a bit of oil. Same with oil sump gasket as it oozed some oil. Had to replace the  clutch cable cable twice as it snapped. Not sure what made the clutch cables snapped other than they are probably rubbing against something causing stress to the metal threads. Other than that, bike running very nicely specially after getting the Beetle map installed recently. Really love the bike.
2016 V7 II Stone (Black)
2015 Suzuki TU250

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
In the past five years? None, other than the flood damage to the T. The Mille has been trouble free since I bought her.

In the early days I did a lot of sorting on the T. Electrical problems solved with installation of a 20-amp stator from a T3, handling with T3 fork dampers and Konis, clutch cable issue with the simple lever-pivot kit (thank you, Curtis!), startus interruptus with a cleaned-up Bosch motor and my own wiring to bypass the ignition switch, and finally top end with Gilardonis, new timing chain and tensioner and shifter-spring replacement.

After that it was just repair after encounters with a 90-year-old Cadillac driver and the distracted pilot of an SUV.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

kirby1923

CX 100, bought w/ 24K miles
First year, 'bout 10K miles.

Front faring bracket failed
U joint completely failed (got me home with some creative riding.)
Clutch plate failed replaced w/ new + flywheel teeth were toast so replaced same
Bearing on the output shaft of the transmission failed due to the cage (fiber) started to disintegrate
throw out bearing replaced (toast)
rear main seal failed (huge leak)
front main seal failed (leaking)
bell housing breather leaked and had to be sealed
alternator rotor failed
front wheel bearings failed
both front brake calipers needed to be renewed due to leaking seals
Head light failed
taillight failed
rear brake master cylinder failed
Speedometer trip odometer failed (bought new one)
carbs (both) needed to be rebuilt.
fuel tank started leaking (replaced) Old damage repaired by previous owner w/ fiber glass patch
Dyna ignition main box failed
front forks needed to be rebuilt.
rear shocks replaced (completely shot)
replaced the pan gasket due to leaking
2 clutch cables
throttle cables

Other than the above its been bullet proof!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:34:14 PM by kirby1923 »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
CX 100, bought w/ 24K miles
First year, 'bout 10K miles.

Front faring bracket failed
U joint completely failed (got me home with some creative riding.)
Clutch plate failed replaced w/ new + flywheel teeth were toast so replaced same
Bearing on the output shaft of the transmission failed due to the cage (fiber) started to disintegrate
throw out bearing replaced (toast)
rear main seal failed (huge leak)
front main seal failed (leaking)
bell housing breather leaked and had to be sealed
alternator rotor failed
front wheel bearings failed
both front brake calipers needed to be renewed due to leaking seals
Head light failed
taillight failed
rear brake master cylinder failed
Speedometer trip odometer failed (bought new one)
carbs (both) needed to be rebuilt.
fuel tank started leaking (replaced) Old damage repaired by previous owner w/ fiber glass patch
Dyna ignition main box failed
front forks needed to be rebuilt.
rear shocks replaced (completely shot)
replaced the pan gasket due to leaking
2 clutch cables
throttle cables

Other than the above its been bullet proof!

Funny Mike  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
The only problems I've had were ones I caused myself , can't fault Guzzi on any of them.

This.

and one snapped throttle cable (at the controls), still made it home. Dohh...wait, there was the hi/lo beam switch that acted up. repaired, $0.00.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Dead lithium iron battery.   Only riding the Guzzi 1000 miles in the 4 years I owned it probably contributed.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
Bought my first, and so far, only Guzzi last May, my 04 California Titanium.

Problems:

1. Leaking fuel hoses - replaced last winter.
2. Vacuum leak in charcoal can hoses - removed charcoal can last winter.
3. Battery died - replaced last winter.
4. Factory tune - reflashed with a Beetle map this spring.
5. Still waiting for something else to break...

So, other than 14 year old hoses and a 6 year old battery, my ONLY complaint was the factory tune.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
My 1st Guzzi was a new '09 1200 Sport. After 27 months and a little over 25K miles it had to go. It was a POS and had numerous mechanical problems not limited to but including a sheared valve adjuster bolt that left me stranded 800 miles from home. Yep, a known issue with a small number of units.... arrrggggg!! Then came the electrical gremlins, no starts, intermittent black out of the instrument cluster, then total failure of the cluster. With no competent dealers in the area and the expired warranty it had to.

I did it again in September of '17 when I purchased a V7 III from Hamlin Cycle in Ct. with a plan to ride it home to Fl. On my way home, with only about 1300 miles on the odo, the POS OEM fuel filer failed leaving me stranded at roadside on the interstate in Pa. The nice folks at Hamlin Cycle made an overnight trip to fetch me and the bike, return us to the shop and replace the OEM filter with a proper all metal filter... at NO CHARGE!!! Nice folks the are at Hamlin Cycle... :thumb:

Guzzi needs to up thier game when it come to reliability. They also need more dealer with the level of commitment to the marque that Hamlin Cycle showed me.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here