General Category > General Discussion

New v85 rear drive leak

<< < (2/5) > >>

Huzo:

--- Quote from: Gino on May 16, 2022, 04:22:45 PM ---So my wife and I picked up a pair of v85’s last week, been running them in ready for first service this weekend, sadly my wife’s one started to leak from the rear drive at 550 miles ( that’s when I noticed it) both 2022 models so not old stock. A tad disappointed. We are of for a wee euro tour next week so it’s going anyway. First brand new road bike I’ve ever bought in the last 50 years. Bugger

--- End quote ---
Seriously mate, don’t ride it like that.
If it gets worse (and it will), you could end up welding the innards together, or worse still having an oil coating on the rear tyre with predictable consequences.
Just take it off and hoof it into your most trusted shop. It is not a big job.

sgl0226:
My new v85tt had an apparent drive shaft leak as well.  I brought it in and my dealer checked it out.  He said that it had been over packed with grease from the factory.  Said the same thing happened a week before with another new one.  I’ve put about 150 miles on since without an issue.  I’m not mechanically inclined so I’m not sure exactly what overpacked with grease meant, but it turned out to be nothing.  Cadre cycle is my dealer in Cincinnati and I have 100% confidence in them.  You may want to call and ask them about the issue as it may pertain to your bike as well. 

Bulldog9:
Seems that there have been equal numbers of bad seals and over filled rear drives. I would try lowering the gear oil in the pumpkin, clean things up, check the vent is not clogged and see where things go.

JohninPA:
My new V7850 did the same. Oil splattered all over rear wheel and tire sidewall, which I noticed at about 300 miles. I drained the rear and refilled with correct amount of oil, problem gone. Now at 2200 miles, still good.

Overfilled from the factory ... common issue although I don't know why. Seems simple enough to fill correctly. My riding buddy had the same issue with his V7850.

sgl0226:

--- Quote from: Gino on May 16, 2022, 04:22:45 PM ---So my wife and I picked up a pair of v85’s last week, been running them in ready for first service this weekend, sadly my wife’s one started to leak from the rear drive at 550 miles ( that’s when I noticed it) both 2022 models so not old stock. A tad disappointed. We are of for a wee euro tour next week so it’s going anyway. First brand new road bike I’ve ever bought in the last 50 years. Bugger

--- End quote ---

Did you get the bikes fixed?  Was it simply an overfill issue?  Hopefully all is good and the two of you enjoy the tour. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version