Author Topic: Electronics whiz LED lamp question  (Read 477 times)

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Electronics whiz LED lamp question
« on: May 28, 2022, 08:15:08 PM »
I'm stumped but maybe someone with electronics expertise can help.

Superbrightled.com sold me this 1157 replacement bulb, with separate functions for a running light and turn signal (for my T3 with 1157 "dual-filament" sockets in the front to accept them):

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-bulb/2625/

It is a really bright bulb with excellent differentiation between the amount of light produced in the running light and turn signal modes.

The problem is that the running light does not illuminate until the turn signal is cycled on and off one time. After that, the running light and turn signal modes both operate properly.

I tried the bulb with Superbright's "FL2-RED LED Bulb Electronic Flasher" and with an older electro-mechanical flasher (together with a shunting resistor). Both setups perform the same.

Superbright said they had just discovered the problem the day before I called, and said it is due to "the resistance being the wrong way" in the bulb itself. They offered to replace the bulb with a weaker one that I don't want.

My first question is why the running light needs to be primed by the turn signal. How could the resistance be the "wrong way" (or was it "wrong direction")? 

I guess one important factor may be that all 27 LED's operate for both the running light and turn signal functions, but at different intensities. They are not different circuits.

This could be a clue: If I turn the lights off with the light switch for as long as 60 seconds, the running lights come back on when I turn the switch back on -- no turn signal cycling is needed. However, if I turn the light switch and then the ignition switch off, and turn them back on again after 5 seconds, the running lights don't come back on. Except for this: cycling the light switch on and off a few times produces occasional short flashes of the running lights, followed by full illumination (without using the turn signals).

Aside from cycling each turn signal manually, I suppose I could set up an automatic turn signal bulb test circuit just to get the running lights working each time I turn on the lights. Is this the best bet? Do cars have such circuits, making this a non-problem for them? (How else could they sell this bulb?)

I am puzzled by the suggestion of a reversed resistance. Presumably this would mean a reversal of the LED's, since direction of resistance is not an issue in simple resistors. But the LED's wouldn't work if installed in reverse.

I need someone to shove me in the shallow water here. Does anyone see what's going on?

Moto
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:24:05 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Electronics whiz LED lamp question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:45 PM »
Im running one of those in the tail-light of my V7, it works as expected on at reduced output then extra bright under braking.
You don't need the large load resistors with the V7 dash, the high wattage resistor is to make the old style thermal based flasher work.
I have no idea why it won't work until you cycle the flasher.
Perhaps they received a faulty batch from China.
Sorry, I have no explanation for what you see.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:17:04 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »
   Simply a wild a$$ guess, but it sounds as if there is a capacitor in the bulb that needs to be charged initially, and when you cycle the switches as you've described, it bleeds off that capacitor  until next time. It would be interesting to see the circuitry inside the bulb.  My $.02.

Paul B :boozing:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:57:38 AM by RinkRat II »
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 10:03:19 AM »

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 10:44:09 PM »
Perhaps they received a faulty batch from China.
That makes sense.
Quote from: KingofFleece
[Sylvania bulb]
Works a treat
Thanks. That one takes a completely different approach, suitable for use with shaped reflectors, like the ones in my turn signal. I was unaware of it. Just ordered a pair at the local auto parts store and will compare them with the massed LED type I got from superbrightLEDs.com .

Thanks to all as always.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 10:46:42 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here