Author Topic: Norge heated grips  (Read 645 times)

Offline Bison

• Hatchling
Norge heated grips
« on: May 29, 2022, 03:28:58 AM »
Good morning from Scotland.
My Norge has around 60 odd K miles on it, and the heated grips, although working, don't get very warm, but more importantly, are worn so when wet they don't offer the grip they should. Here's my question, do I have to buy the `Guzzi grips?, or can I fit aftermarket grips with a similar resistance?.
Of course I could just make sure I don't ride in the cold and/or wet, but here is Scotland that is not an option!
Thanks in advance.
Alan.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge heated grips
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 04:16:31 AM »
I am on my 3rd set on my Norge.
I just carefully cut a slot in the rubber ones and peeled them off. These are the ones I put on.

The heat seems to permeate these pretty well.

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 05:42:10 AM »
  The heated grips on my Norge are quite worn also. I've read concerns that after market grips ( like Oxford), could cause overload problems using the factory switch and wiring. Has anyone experience with this?

Offline guzziboy66

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
My left grip does not warm anymore.  I cleaned the connection under the tank, but that did not fix it.  It's summer here in the USA, so it won't be an issue until the fall and I have time to figure it out.  I have found new grips sold as pairs and used grips that can be purchased as singles.  I'll likely buy a used grip to start.

Eric
The younger (slightly) Eric in NJ
Frenchtown, NJ

'14 GRiSO 1200 8V SE (I got her back!)
'14 Norge 1200 8V GT
'97 SPoRT 1100 (My first Guzzi has come home to me)
'98 Ducati 900 SS FE
'96 Sport 1100 Carbi (Gone but still in the family)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Why not go with heated gloves? They work better anyway

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
My left grip does not warm anymore.  I cleaned the connection under the tank, but that did not fix it.  It's summer here in the USA, so it won't be an issue until the fall and I have time to figure it out.  I have found new grips sold as pairs and used grips that can be purchased as singles.  I'll likely buy a used grip to start.

Eric
The wire will be broken where it joins to the heating element at the grip.

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »
I am on my 3rd set on my Norge.
I just carefully cut a slot in the rubber ones and peeled them off. These are the ones I put on.

The heat seems to permeate these pretty well.

Are you just installing new grips over the existing heater pads/elements? Or have you removed the old heating pads/elements and installed new ones, plus new grips (like Oxford)?

I've found my Norge's heated grips are pretty anemic compared to Oxford heated grips. I also like softer rubber, race oriented grips better than the Norge's too, so would like to replace the whole shebang.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 10:27:48 AM »
If you just want new rubber grips to go on the heating elements. You need to buy 2 sets of the rubber grip you would like. You would buy the 7/8" size. You need 2 of the throttle side rubber grips, the size fits both ends. That is why you need 2 sets. Save the other smaller ones for a handle for a broom or the like.

As mentioned, CAREFULLY cut a slice into the grip and peel it off. Use some WD40 sprayed into the new rubber grips and on the bars and slide them on. The WD will dry quickly.

I would look for a fairly thin rubber grip. I would think that would allow the heat through better than some thick padded one??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 12:15:34 PM »
I emailed Carmo about a year or more ago about the Oxford heated grips, this was their response: “The components which are responsible for the heaters have a limit of 3.9A. So, it is on the edge. I wouldn’t recommend the aftermarkets.”

I really wanted to wire the Oxfords into the factory loom/controller but after buying one dash already I just could do it.

There are foil heaters that go under your supplied grips that would work IMO with the factory loom/controller since the amps are ~3 amps total or so. Not sure how well they work in the heating department though.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here