General Category > General Discussion

V7 II Broke Down, Metal Flakes in Crankcase = Poops.

<< < (19/22) > >>

Tom H:
You just posted the pics I was going to ask if you could do.

On the bad crank. Do your good thrust washers line up with the step? I'm thinking they do.

It would appear that the correct cranks are flat with no step. As you mentioned, is the step there from machining or wear? That is the good question.

I still find it odd that the bad cranks also ate up the outer throw out bearing, but the good flat cranks appear to not have done this. As mentioned. maybe a lubrication issue?

If it was a machining issue, there would be oil there, but probably not under pressure. So maybe when the clutch lever is pulled and the crank moves forward, the gap between the inner thrust and crank is now bigger allowing the oil to flow out toward the engine side leaving the clutch side essentially dry???

Wish I could go back in time and see the shelf of cranks and have a look at them to see if they have the step. And if so, all or how many.

Thanks for the good work,
Tom

Kev m:
As we spoke earlier, sure sounds like Hamlin's theory was correct, the bad batch have a crankshaft machining problem that allow too much play and eventually the thrust washers come out of position and/or are eaten away.

Dirk_S:

--- Quote from: Kev m on October 14, 2022, 04:54:33 PM ---As we spoke earlier, sure sounds like Hamlin's theory was correct, the bad batch have a crankshaft machining problem that allow too much play and eventually the thrust washers come out of position and/or are eaten away.

--- End quote ---

Oh sure. I might even hop onto that other forum and share my findings on the engine thread. I know one or two members snapped back with some ‘how dare you suggest the crankshaft” comments.

Dirk_S:
And we have a complete engine again:

Fingers crossed that I didn’t stink it up. Next up—add on the bell housing, gearbox, and we’LL be ready to begin installing it back onto the bike. Fingers crossed for a Christmas miracle.

n3303j:
Good on you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version