General Category > General Discussion

Convert Model Year Differences

<< < (2/3) > >>

chuck peterson:
I believe there are really only two versions..

Early was wire wheels, vhb dellorto square carbs and single spring front forks

Later ones were cast wheels, roundslide phf dellorto carbs and a two part G5 fork springs giving a slightly higher from the ground triple clamp

Off the top of my head that’s it..except there were police models w additional wiring for lights/siren/flashers

Anyone else remember the differences?

Oh yeah, I’m not including the California II Converts which have an entirely different frame geometry with taller headstock, longer wheelbase, heavier swingarm…!

fotoguzzi:

--- Quote from: bigbikerrick on October 03, 2022, 05:06:01 PM ---So,thats about a  2 lb difference in weight.....Hmm,that seems like quite a bit. I bet you can really feel that  on the "butt dyno"  :grin:
Rick.

--- End quote ---
more like an 8-10 6 # difference
The light FW with ring gear is 6#

bigbikerrick:
I currently own a 76 Convert, and owned an 84 Cal II automatic for many years. The 76 is a noticeably more nimble bike, with a much lighter steering feel. The Cal II was like a freight train on the highway, though. Very stable, at speed and in crosswinds. Both are great bikes.
Rick.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
There were numerous "running changes" to the Convert that can't be categorized as "model year" changes. The tank changed three times: metal flip cap, plastic flip top, then metal cover over a twist cap. Changes to the atf pump coupling and the pump itself. Three different flywheels: stamped bowl, machined with separate ring gear, machined with integral ring gear. Spoke then cast wheels. Iron liners, then Nigusil. VHBs then PHFs. Different switch gear. Different front master cylinders (trapezoidal vs. round). More that I'm probably forgetting...

Kiwi_Roy:

--- Quote from: bigbikerrick on October 05, 2022, 12:56:35 AM ---I currently own a 76 Convert, and owned an 84 Cal II automatic for many years. The 76 is a noticeably more nimble bike, with a much lighter steering feel. The Cal II was like a freight train on the highway, though. Very stable, at speed and in crosswinds. Both are great bikes.
Rick.

--- End quote ---
The most desirable model IMHO don't ask me why, its what I have

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version