General Category > General Discussion

new vibration through right footpeg

<< < (3/11) > >>

Scout63:
Maybe check the swingarm pivot pins to make sure that they have not loosened up?  If the swingarm gets out of adjustment is it possible for something to make contact?  Better minds than mine can think this through. If it were a Commando I would say the layshaft bearing is going.

John A:
I had a ujoint carrier bearing come apart at around 60 mph on I 220 around Shreveport on a Cal2 in traffic.The back tire suddenly stopped. It then unlocked, repeating locking and unlocking as I slowed. Clutch didn’t make any difference of course. Destroyed swingarm. It was exciting. I wouldn’t ride yours over 20 until it’s fixed.

Frenchfrog:

--- Quote from: moto-uno on October 03, 2022, 07:29:59 PM --- I'm with all the others, that through personal experience would be tempted to suggest you
get at that cardan joint (U-joint) asap . There is no roadside repair for that :( . Peter

--- End quote ---
I'll very much second that. I had a UJ go on me at a 80mph plus on the motorway years ago...and it was not giving any detectable signs of failure.It was my lucky day as I managed to coast the bike from the third fast lane to a lay by without locking the rear wheel and I didn't fill my pants either !!! Someone up there was looking after me.

chuck peterson:
Yup grinding noises are usually suspicious… :shocked:

On the centerstand in neutral just rotate the rear wheel slowly by hand…see if it hits a tight spot

New ujoint is a press fit into a new carrier bearing

Mufflers off
Remove lower shock mounts
Axle out
Remove rear wheel with rear drive attached holding the open end up so gear oil doesn’t coat the driveway
Remove swingarm pivot pins
Establish the bike is secure from rolling forward
Wrestle swingarm out
Ujoint falls to the floor in bits of shrapnel..

1/2 hr and about 5 tools to take it apart…
3 weeks and a couple hundred to go back together…

Have fun! Don’t ride it

SIR REAL ED:
These threads are the absolute best learning devices for the Moto Guzzi newbies like myself.

Mucho thanks to all who contributed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version