General Category > General Discussion

new vibration through right footpeg

<< < (10/11) > >>

nc43bsa:

--- Quote from: blackcat on October 06, 2022, 04:26:29 PM ---I recently bought this tool to press the u-joint into the carrier bearing.  That along with a HarborFreight press made it an easy job.

--- End quote ---

I made a similar tool out of PVC pipe.  It worked fine after I froze the U-joint and gently heated the bearing with a heat gun on the lowest setting.

yackee:
Just to verify, I'm a bit paranoid about this, to take out the bell housing, I *don't* take off the "cover" but rather undo the bolts closest to the engine case, and then the whole bell housing will come off in one bit, and stay together? I don't want to have to get into the transmission if I don't have to. I read the long tutorial on ThisOldTractor about rebuilding the transmission, which I don't think I need to do or don't want to do,, but I'm still not sure--if I pull the bell housing without removing the "cover" can I just remove, set to the side, and then re-fit once the new clutch is in?

n3303j:

--- Quote from: yackee on October 09, 2022, 06:08:17 PM ---Just to verify, I'm a bit paranoid about this, to take out the bell housing, I *don't* take off the "cover" but rather undo the bolts closest to the engine case, and then the whole bell housing will come off in one bit, and stay together? I don't want to have to get into the transmission if I don't have to. I read the long tutorial on ThisOldTractor about rebuilding the transmission, which I don't think I need to do or don't want to do,, but I'm still not sure--if I pull the bell housing without removing the "cover" can I just remove, set to the side, and then re-fit once the new clutch is in?

--- End quote ---

No reason to he afraid of the transmission. If you pull the input spline nut and coupling the whole transmission internals can be dropped on the bench on its back cover completely assembled. Then its a matter of photo and disassemble in steps you are comfortable with and replace anything that qualifies as worn or damaged. Put it all back together on the back cover and drop the housing on (add the detent).
But undoing the forward set of fasteners will remove the whole transmission without any transmission changes, exposures, disturbances etc. It is located by two dowels and might stick a bit.

smdl:
To remove the gearbox, just remove the bellhousing mounting nuts right next to the engine.  Once you have the gearbox on the bench, you can work on the hub inside the bellhousing.  No need to completely disassemble the gearbox.

Cheers,
Shaun

Scout63:
I wouldn’t dig into a good operating gearbox.  Rear main seal, clutch, (make sure the clutch plates you buy match your clutch hub, or buy a complete kit from MG Cycle), throw out bearing and pushrod seals are all great candidates for replacement while you are in there. Don’t forget new flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version