General Category > General Discussion

2003 Cali, what were the faults?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Gusable:
I was told by several well respected guzzi men that the 98 and 03 iirc where some of the best bikes mondello ever made. I don’t know why those two years were mentioned specifically. My 98 was a great bike.  Would be nice to have a well sorted hydro bike someday

Huzo:

--- Quote from: Gusable on November 22, 2022, 04:34:24 PM ---I was told by several well respected guzzi men that the 98 and 03 iirc where some of the best bikes mondello ever made. I don’t know why those two years were mentioned specifically. My 98 was a great bike. 

--- End quote ---
They are ALL fantastic until they’re not. I love my Norge more than any bike I’ve ever had, but at one one stage on my last trip, I wished it was a Honda…. :embarrassed: :angry:
All good the following day… :kiss:

guzzista:
My 03 Cali was possibly the best running Guzzi I owned . Bought from Moto International, it had  the dual plate clutch, external fuel pump and other particulars I can't remember, but Dave Richardson (Guzziology) did, and after some commuting and touring miles on a Triumph 1200 Trophy, it was a welcome return to MG, and particularly Tonti Calis.
The  hydro recall was done at approx 37k miles .The parts removed looked as good as new  but then  the engine gained  new tappet noises  with the replacement  parts  that I did not hear before the recall . At the same time the odometer failed and was recalled under warranty.
The odometer failed again 36k miles later , this time without a replacement.
The dual plate clutches were not without fault either as the metal would shear (on one of the plates) so the clutch would slip  when in excess of 4k  RPM.  As  this had already occurred on my Cali 1100I ( at  about the same 40k mileage) , I was not surprised. .
The fix back then was to use Mark Etheridge's (Moto Guzzi Classics)  heavy duty clutch discs. No issues with the lower triple clamps for me, but the chromed aluminum tubeless Behr wheels  tended to corrode from residual brake dust and grime .
From having owned both early EFI and carb versions 1100s, the 03 was certainly better all round imo.

krglorioso:
I had two "hydros" and they were the best of many bikes I've owned.  Only age and a very slight construction (me, not the bikes) caused me to sell them and move down in weight to an '04 Breva 750, a lovely bike but no match for a "hydro".

More knowledgeable forum members than I may correct me, but John C., I don't believe the hydros' valve adjustments are changeable once the 2d valve gear recall was performed as the tops of the valve clearance adjuster screws are then snapped off to prevent any future meddling with the valve clearances.  I suspect, tho, if a valve replacement is performed it would be desirable to check and possibly reset the clearance.  Perhaps in such instances the OEM adjusting screws are available and can be used to adjust clearance and then the tops snapped off.

Ralph

john fish:

--- Quote from: John Croucher on November 22, 2022, 04:06:07 PM ---You will still want to adjust the valves if it is a hydro motor.  TDC, loosen adjusting screw, screw in 1-1/2 turn preload.  I would inspect the rocker arms and valve stem for wear.  Due to the extra oil journals, the rocker arms and valve stem do not get a good oil supply and they wear. 

--- End quote ---

I do not understand.  How often should the Hydro valves be adjusted?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version