Author Topic: Barnacle Bill Saved my Jacket  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
Barnacle Bill Saved my Jacket
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
I am posting this because I think it will be useful to other people in the future.

I bought a great horsehide jacket a long time ago. A few years back, the insertion end pin in the main zipper came off. The only way to fix this is to get a new zipper, which means taking the jacket apart.

I had a terrible time finding anyone to fix it. I looked all over my area. Cobblers sent me to tailors who sent me back to the cobblers. I finally got a price of $140 from Lost Worlds Inc., but I read things online that gave me the impression that I was likely to end up in a dispute with the guy who ran it, so I didn't send the jacket in.

A week or so ago, I came across some references to Barnacle Bill's Racing Leather. I sent Bill an email, and he said he would fix the jacket for a hundred bucks, including return shipping. I sent the jacket off on Wednesday, and it arrived here today, six days later.

From the front, the jacket looks unchanged except for the new zipper. The sewing was done so there is no new line of thread holes. On the inside, the new thread is about 1/8" from the old stitch holes, but no one would see it without looking inside the jacket. The workmanship looks very good. He saved a jacket that would run a thousand dollars to replace.

http://www.racingleather.com/
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: Barnacle Bill Saved my Jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:16 PM »
Ya gotta love a good leather working guy. My local, who's first language is something Asian, is always highly apologetic when he's unable to get an exact color match or the stitch-per-inch count is a little different than the original. A very detailed guy...
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
I have local Korean shoe shop that will work my leather repairs, zippers, etc.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
Bill also recommended Syed in Orlando.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here