Author Topic: Stelvio fork clamps  (Read 1895 times)

Offline wrinkley

• New Egg
Stelvio fork clamps
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:04:59 AM »
Morning folks,
I've just introduced myself in the appropriate section, but I'll say Hi again. Recently purchased myself a much unloved 09 Stelvio pre abs. Cosmetically it looks fairly sad but nothing that's insurmountable.

Roller tappet conversion is done and it runs lovely..gearbox is nice...41.000mls. My intention is to run it for a couple of months and see how far I wish to go with a renovation over the winter.

I paid £1900 which I think is around $2500...Not sure about in the US but a very cheap bike in the UK.

Anyway, as I've said there's nothing insurmountable, but the big headache is the right side fork clamp is split. New in the UK the lower leg is around £800 including taxes...ouch.

My question is, did anyone ever come up with a fix?  I'm considering making a plate from 2mm stainless which will need to be fastened to the top of the rhino horns and bent over the front of them.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

PS I've looked through every thread I can find on this subject...not found a solution yet. Think I'd possibly be better off breaking the bike than shelling out for a new fork leg...very little chance of finding an undamaged used one in the UK.

pete roper

Re: Stelvio fork clamps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:44 AM »
I take it you mean the wheel spindle clamp casting on the bottom of the leg has snapped? Not one of the fork yokes?

Pete

Offline wrinkley

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Sorry for not making myself clear. Yes, it's the Rhino Horn on the right side wheel spindle clamp.

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
If you can find a lower fork leg snap it up now. They have been NLA from the factory for a while for the 50mm forks because Marzocchi ceased production. Also invest in a 1/4 drive, inch pound torque wrench and use it religiously on the pinch bolts which should be swapped for Allen heads from the stock Hex heads to discourage over tightening.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »

Offline wrinkley

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks Pete, looks like I'm going to have to figure some way to repair it. Although I have read Guzzi do not see it as a safety problem.

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
No of course, having a broken casting that holds the front wheel on is nothing to worry about at all! I'd love to see how that stacked up in a court of law!

Given its an alloy casting repair would be very difficult and its success and safety dubious in my book. If you can find a bent fork tube with an intact casting you should be able to get it swapped onto your leg easily enough.

The alternative is to look for another front end. Multistrada perhaps?

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
You do know of Reboot Guzzi Spares? Give them a ring, & ask them to keep an eye out.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »
Somebody with proper skills and equipment could probably repair the leg or make it safely usable.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:51:32 PM by leafman60 »

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »
Get some JB stick, that stuff will fix anything metal.  :boozing:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »
Somebody with proper skills and equipment could probably repair the leg or make it safely usable.

I would tend to agree.   I know some guys who know an AWFUL lot about welding and joining all kinds of metal, and once shown the part and the application, could very likely do a repair that would not fatigue or embrittle or otherwise damage the part ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here