Author Topic: New Bike 1st service  (Read 636 times)

Offline nighthawk

• New Egg
New Bike 1st service
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
Looking into buying a new El Dorado from a far away dealer and am curious about the first service. I've never participated in a dealer 1st service but I think it would be prudent in this case.
Will I get the run around if I take it to a dealer I didn't buy from? Possible, I know, any advice greatly welcomed. Thanks, Steve
'89 Cali III(gone but not forgotten)
2000 Red Quota(gone-too tall)
2006 Kawasaki Concours(gone)
1990 Cali III Tour(gone)
2001 HD 1200 sportster(gone)
2000 Jackal(gone)
2006 HD 35th Anniv. SG(gone)
1999 Blue EV

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: New Bike 1st service
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
No legitimate Guzzi dealer would have an issue doing the first service on the Eldorado 1400. The bigger issue is often finding a legitimate Guzzi dealer that would change the oil/filter correctly and then actually correctly perform all the steps in the first service.

Some day I also want to get an all black Eldorado 1400. I’ll likely buy a used one since they’re no longer making new ones. Plus it would have the accessories I’d want on one. I don’t know what Piaggio has left regarding Eldorado accessories. All the best to you in your endeavor.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
Good luck finding a good one in IA, might have to go to MN or IL by St Louis. That's for dealer support. I'd stay where you get it & put on mileage there, then have that dealer do it. OR do it yourself.
You shouldn't get a runaround cause of where you bought it. Dealers now need the $ in the service dept.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
Maybe Jim Figgins in Riverside or Jeremy at Dunn’s Imports in Middleton WI would do it even though not dealers anymore.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:29:09 PM »
Who's the dealer and how far away are they from you that you're considering purchasing the Eldorado from? There are some dealers you may not want to purchase from let alone have them do service work. You'll get your best and most complete responses from the most complete questions.

There are some dealers that advertise one price, have a much different price upon sales completion and then also have an awful reputation for service. Be careful and ask complete questions here and with the dealer prior to moving forward. 

The opposite is also true where you could be buying from an outstanding dealer with an equalling outstanding service department. Some of those good dealers 'may' even consider putting the break in miles on the bike and also perform the 1st service before you pick it up. But again, that's a maybe with a lot of variables and possible insurance limitations.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
Why not call the dealer you intend to use for the 1st service and ask them directly? Seems as though they would know the answer much better than any of us.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 02:16:26 PM »
My caution would be to avoid getting overcharged.  Some dealers seem to capitalize on a new Guzzi buyer's interest in taking care of a brand new bike, and outrageously overcharge for the first service.  A receipt I received with my used V85TT indicates the buyer paid between $600 and $700 (in 2020 to the original dealer) for what was very little more than an easy Guzzi-style screw valve adjustment, oil/filter change, gear oil change in gearbox and rear drive unit and a quick lookover of fastener torque.  They charged for a 4 liter container of expensive 10W-60 oil, which is enough for two oil changes.  I casually mentioned this to the previous owner, they didn't gave him the unused amount.  The labor charge was ridiculous, and so on.  Buyer beware, dealers often make more money on the stuff that you think is a routine service for the buyer than on the the sale of a new bike.

Obviously if you vastly overpay you won't have trouble getting service scheduled with any dealer, whether the original dealer or not, but I'd avoid it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 02:46:26 PM by Tusayan »

Online mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 03:06:11 PM »
Good luck finding a good one in IA, might have to go to MN or IL by St Louis.

As far as I know, the closest dealer to Mason City would be Leo's up in Lakeville MN. That's far enough I wouldn't want to waste my time trying to get it up there for an initial service.

I bought my V85 from them and at that time it was implied that as long as the initial service and any subsequent ones were documented there shouldn't be any trouble with warranty claims. I've never had a claim (yet) so I have no idea if they told me the truth or not. I do know that Leo's gave me enough trouble with trying to schedule recall work that I didn't bother with it. That was in spring 2020 though, so maybe they deserve a bit of a pass. I think Piaggio also was part of the trouble.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »
What do you mean by "far away"? When I bought my B1000 from MPH in Houston I left there at 11:00 AM and was back the next day at 1 PM for my thousand mile first service. So that is a suggestion for you to ride the bike and let the selling dealer do your first service (if he is worth a flip).

MPH checked the computer on the bike and it said my top speed on the break in was 106. People that know me will tell you I used to ride the hell out Guzzis.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Tex

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 03:36:52 PM »
Looking into buying a new El Dorado from a far away dealer and am curious about the first service. I've never participated in a dealer 1st service but I think it would be prudent in this case.
Will I get the run around if I take it to a dealer I didn't buy from? Possible, I know, any advice greatly welcomed. Thanks, Steve

I don't know whats near you, but I would definitely stay away from the St. Louis dealer. 

Offline nighthawk

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 06:25:00 PM »
Why not call the dealer you intend to use for the 1st service and ask them directly? Seems as though they would know the answer much better than any of us.

Yup, that's what I was thinking, calling Caswell in Mora, MN but it's all moot now as the beauty was sold awhile ago. Probably left the ad up as a come on. Hooked me....
'89 Cali III(gone but not forgotten)
2000 Red Quota(gone-too tall)
2006 Kawasaki Concours(gone)
1990 Cali III Tour(gone)
2001 HD 1200 sportster(gone)
2000 Jackal(gone)
2006 HD 35th Anniv. SG(gone)
1999 Blue EV

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 06:43:08 PM »
Dunn's in Madison is no longer in the Piaggio business. They did some subsequent work for a friend of mine but it wasn't warranty. They are nice folks, but I don't know if I would count on them without checking first. Obviously doesn't matter in this case.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »
I bought my last two Guzzis from dealers in other states. There were two things that made it possible to work out for me. One is both dealers were ones that I trusted to do proper set up on the bikes and the other is that I was capable of doing the first services and routine maintenance myself. Both dealers were fine with that and I kept complete records of the services and parts used.
If either of these conditions don't line up for you or you are not comfortable with doing your own first service and regular maintenance on down the road I would pass on the out of state buy.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »
My local dealer wasn't going to honor the warranty if I  didn't use their 1st $500 service.  They got shitty so I paid it. I should have walked but I don't want to be an outcast if I really need something. I will never buy another bike from them though.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here