Author Topic: What oil filter wrench for a 1200 Sport / Norge?  (Read 8001 times)

Offline GuzziNZ

• New Egg
Re: What oil filter wrench for a 1200 Sport / Norge?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »
I find the Hyflow HF551 filter which maker says is for Moto Guzzi to be very good.

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
What oil filter wrench for a 1200 Sport / Norge?
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
Oil Filter Wrenches are so last Century . . .

So your Oil filters and Sump Drain Plugs aren't wire-Locked? 
Tut-tut!   :grin:
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »
So I bought a Walmart Supertech ST4967 filter. It didn't have any "4386" indication on it. It's approximately 64mm in diameter measured from a flat on one side to a flat on the other. I also bought a stamped steel oil filter wrench (just the big socket part) from Walmart for about $3. The wrench says it'll fit 65 to 67mm filters, and it has 2 sets of flats. Bigger diameter ring at the edge of the socket, smaller diameter ring further in. The smaller ring of flats seems to fit the new filter OK though.

However the filter that Sloan Cycles in TN installed is approx. 72mm in diameter measured from a flat on one side to another. Is the ST 4967 I bought correct? It's a lot smaller than the one Sloans put on. I can't see any identifying marks on it since it's recessed into the pan. Wondering what to do now. Buy the Harbor Freight adjustable wrench? Buy a filter that's as big as the one installed?
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »
So I bought a Walmart Supertech ST4967 filter. It didn't have any "4386" indication on it. It's approximately 64mm in diameter measured from a flat on one side to a flat on the other. I also bought a stamped steel oil filter wrench (just the big socket part) from Walmart for about $3. The wrench says it'll fit 65 to 67mm filters, and it has 2 sets of flats. Bigger diameter ring at the edge of the socket, smaller diameter ring further in. The smaller ring of flats seems to fit the new filter OK though.

However the filter that Sloan Cycles in TN installed is approx. 72mm in diameter measured from a flat on one side to another. Is the ST 4967 I bought correct? It's a lot smaller than the one Sloans put on. I can't see any identifying marks on it since it's recessed into the pan. Wondering what to do now. Buy the Harbor Freight adjustable wrench? Buy a filter that's as big as the one installed?

The two critical factors are the size of the seal at the base of the filter, and the thread where the filter attaches. After that, it's all a question of the actual filter media inside, and how much open space or filter media is used by the manufacturer. A physically larger filter (case) may have exactly the same amount of filter material as a smaller one, no way to say without cutting it open. A larger filter might use media that is less permeable, and have more space to allow enough flow without creating bypass pressure.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
What oil filter wrench for a 1200 Sport / Norge?
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »
Don't forget the Bypass pressure setting, although I'd expect most Filters to be fairly close in that regard.

Filters do seem to be getting physically smaller.
The one I just put on my 2008 Mazda 3 is around half the size of the ones I use on the Stelvio.
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 09:17:15 AM »
I ended up returning the stuff from Walmart and buying an UFI filter from MG Cycles, along with a bunch of other stuff.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here