Author Topic: unobtanium emporium  (Read 3519 times)

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
unobtanium emporium
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
Heck. Google is not my friend today. Can't find a good parts emporium.

I matriculated at the College of Hard Knocks in my yoot. Upon graduation, went on to earn a Masters in Aethiopian Aengeneering at Make-Do-U. Only thing still standing between me and a doctorate is to write my thesis; but I never seem to find time to fabricate a sufficiently preposterous hypothesis. I do enjoy flipping a bike each Winter, cause that keeps the Devil's Playmate at bay. That's why I bought a 2000 Jackal name of Goldenbitch in need of some minor TLC, for this coming Winter's entertainment. All just minor stuff. For example, her intake runners include this ugly bit, pictured here:
[imghttp://laterdudette.com/images/mgintake.jpg][/img]

See that rubber bit on the right? I feel certain she'd idle better if Goldenbitch weren't sucking extra air at the intake.

So I'm on line every damn place... but I can't find a good parts house. I hunt up an ancient thread on this forum that looks promising; then it turns out the old boy who was recommended there has since quit this vale of toil. Have bumped into the rubber bit on the left; but it's the one on the right, where rubber touches heat, that's gone all to pot.

Help a newb out now. Where do you guys source your bits and pieces? Are old Guzzi parts made out of that specially exhorbitant unobtanium alloy? Or is there a place to get 'em reasonable and reliable? Should I give up, dust off my old degree in AeAe, and kluge together something out of five inches of fuel hose? Or can you advise me where to call?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: unobtanium emporium
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Seriously? Just simply enter Moto Guzzi Parts in to Google and the first page that pops up pretty much lists the who's who of Guzzi parts.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
To give you a source we would need to know what bike it is on. Most likely any of the usual suspects like Harpers or your local dealer will be able to help you out.
Reposted your picture.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
I got a couple more years out of my throttle body rubbers by wrapping them with duct tape. Red on the port side and green on the starboard.  :grin:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
I got a couple more years out of my throttle body rubbers by wrapping them with duct tape. Red on the port side and green on the starboard.  :grin:

And these guys give me grief for having duct tape on my seat , it was even color matched  :laugh:

Seriously , this is a 2000 Jackal , at least some dealers should carry the part .

Dusty

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
That sleeve is going to be the same for any California/Tonti variant in that vintage.  If so, the part number is 30 11 44 70.  A quick Google search for "Guzzi 30114470 shows that everybody has it and Mr. UPS can put it on your doorstep in a few days for around $20.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
So I'm on line every damn place... but I can't find a good parts house.

You will soon learn to use MGCYCLE, HARPERS, MOTO INTERNATIONAL, and AF1 RACING.

Might have to wait a few transport days, but seemingly everything is available.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:12:32 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »
Thanks for your help guys. I found the part number 30114370 @pehayes gave right off the bat at Harpers. The picture looks right; but that number turns out to be the other rubber hose, the one closer to the airbox.

Perhaps the prob is the way I was searching Harpers last night that didn't work. I have zero idea what a Tonti is, other than 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. What is a Tonti?

Searching Harper's for Jackal last night I was able to come up with a bit that looked like it might be that part, but with a different number 30114470, which led me to a page that said "no image available" and "call for pricing" and no buy button. So I called Harper just now. The parts fellow says that number is superseded, he gets lots of calls on that, then led me a merry chase page after page to 03114370. That page had a pic of the right looking part, but no buy button. Had to hit the number link a second time.

I also searched for a flasher relay at Harper's last night. Similar cornfusion. Came to a drawing showing a number; but that number in the list below said "screw". About then, I gave up on Harper last night. Just now the parts clerk looked in his paper book and came up with 17750520 for a flasher cause he could not find it in the online catalog either.

So I spose what I need is to call on my cell every time.

Only known Guzzi dealer is far away and the only gal I know who used to ride a Norge sold hers cause she hated that dealer so bad.

So here I am, four bikes in the stable, a KLR which the nearest dealer only a few miles away are exhorbitant, a beemer which the dealer where I bought that used to be two hours away but sold out, an Indian the nearest dealer for which is two hours away, and now this Guzzi... I should open a dealership myself. Or else ride Hogs. I keep telling my Indian guy he needs to open a second shop in Delaware.

I think I'm gonna like this Jackal once I set her up. Needs some decent handlebars to set me back farther, a center stand, some small bags, and some TLC. But rides on rails, all steady and solid. Tons of torque.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
Part no. 30114370 is the one between the head and throttle body.
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=279&products_id=94
http://www.harpermoto.com/07-hose-en.html

Leading to yet another page ... this one for a California. That rubber bit sells for $7.88. The other page which the parts guy led me to sells the same number part for $14.47.

:popcorn:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
Lino Tonti designed the frame used on your jackal
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
The Jackal is basically just a "de-contented" or "stripped" California, V11EV, etc. Most parts will be the same.

#5 (30114470) on this diagram is the one between the airbox tube and throttle body, #7 (30114370) is the one you need between the throttle body and cylinder head.

Read the description on MG Cycle's website:

intake rubber sleeve with spark plug wire securing loop for all fuel injected California 1100cc fuel injected models, fuel injector to head, supercedes 30114370. California EV, Jackal, Stone, Bassa, Special, Metal, Vintage, California 1100i, Aluminum, Titanium, Special Sport, etc. Also Bellagio.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:06:09 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
Why not try modifying a fernco coupling of the right diameter from a plumbing supply house?

Just a thought

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
Why not try modifying a fernco coupling of the right diameter from a plumbing supply house?

Just a thought

It might connect the two pieces together okay, but it won't have the correct inner diameter so airflow will be "disrupted". The correct part is only $8 - why hack something together unless it's an emergency?
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »
What Charlie sez. Guzzi parts are **easy** to get. I have one of those in my stash from when I used to have a Jackal, but I'm not going to give it to someone that won't do the research..  :evil:
C'mon Webmost.. get your head in the game.
Welcome to WG, btw..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:15:13 PM »

So I spose what I need is to call on my cell every time.

No, what you need to do is download a parts explosion for YOUR bike so that you can easily track part numbers.  Then search the various vendors listed above for that specific part number.  Go to this site - Download the pdf to your computer - look at page 81 for your part:
https://www.motointernational.com/uploads/pdf/moto-guzzi/1999-2001jackalpartscatalog.pdf
https://www.motointernational.com/uploads/pdf/moto-guzzi/1999-2001jackalpartscatalog.pdf

I agree, it isn't quite that simple, but it is part of the mystique of owning and maintaining a Guzzi.
First, the XXXX4370 is the correct coupler hose between the throttle body and the head.  The other, XXXX4470 is for outboard or behind the throttle body, between it and the air box.   And yes, the internal dimensions are important to match the manifold ID for smooth airflow.
Second, Guzzi has upgraded part numbers and what used to be 30114370 is now 03114370.
Third, the AF1 Racing site lists the same part as GU03114370.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
I was wondering if you still had the Scout...

Really, Jackal parts are easier than Scout parts. Calling Harpers is a standard procedure as is ordering from MG.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »
When I first got my goose I put Moto International on my speed dial.  If I needed something I called and they shipped.  Had it in 2 days.

Now days I use MG Cycle, MPH or Harper's.  If I can't find it online easily then I call.  All of them know the bikes inside and out.

Last, Reboot  http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/spares.htm   Yes, they are in France so shipping can be an issue.  But, if it is a really hard part to find (like my SPIII fairing) they might have it.

PS get a copy of Guzziology (if you want a current version call Moto International).  Has just about everything you need to know about the different Guzzi's including a lot of cross compatibility of parts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:20:38 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
So far this forum is treating me and Goldenbitch pretty damn good. Urbansix is sending me his unused Willie and Max bags for just postage. Should be just what Goldie needs to tote a rain suit. Fuzzy is selling me his Guzziology book damn cheap. I see myself now, setting on the porch on cool evenings smoking a cigar & reading while I turn myself into Guzzi guru. Need to score grappa to go with. Got some good parts sources, got some good ribbing, read a curious story about a MiG 25...

Good forum going on here.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
So far this forum is treating me and Goldenbitch pretty damn good. Urbansix is sending me his unused Willie and Max bags for just postage. Should be just what Goldie needs to tote a rain suit. Fuzzy is selling me his Guzziology book damn cheap. I see myself now, setting on the porch on cool evenings smoking a cigar & reading while I turn myself into Guzzi guru. Need to score grappa to go with. Got some good parts sources, got some good ribbing, read a curious story about a MiG 25...

Good forum going on here.

Ahh.. now you're gettin it.  :smiley: The Grappa? That's an acquired taste for sure.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
So here I am, four bikes in the stable, a KLR which the nearest dealer only a few miles away are exhorbitant, a beemer which the dealer where I bought that used to be two hours away but sold out, an Indian the nearest dealer for which is two hours away, and now this Guzzi... I should open a dealership myself. Or else ride Hogs. I keep telling my Indian guy he needs to open a second shop in Delaware.

Eclectic tastes require either time or money. Taking the time to keep them going or paying a lot for someone else to. But if you can't find a suitable BMW or Kawasaki dealer the problem isn't your choice of bikes but rather your choice of locations. :-)
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here