Author Topic: V7 ergos for someone 6 foot 3  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
V7 ergos for someone 6 foot 3
« on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »
After my disaster, I really don't know what is next for me.
The Stelvio is gone. I still have the EV. I won't be riding two up much, if ever. And in the middle of this my company was bought out and they are moving to a new location twenty miles farther away.  :angry: It will be smaller slower streets, but since I work even shift, I should have to worry much about traffic. I had the ride the EV daily on slower streets like that.

So the question is, will a V7 fit me? I have not had a chance to ride one yet. Rocker has his 2014 V7 Special for sale. But I'm not sure if those handlebars are too low for me. I never liked low bars. I found the 98 Centauro bars OK, but at about the limit of what I could do.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 ergos for someone 6 foot 3
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
After my disaster, I really don't know what is next for me.
The Stelvio is gone. I still have the EV. I won't be riding two up much, if ever. And in the middle of this my company was bought out and they are moving to a new location twenty miles farther away.  :angry: It will be smaller slower streets, but since I work even shift, I should have to worry much about traffic. I had the ride the EV daily on slower streets like that.

So the question is, will a V7 fit me? I have not had a chance to ride one yet. Rocker has his 2014 V7 Special for sale. But I'm not sure if those handlebars are too low for me. I never liked low bars. I found the 98 Centauro bars OK, but at about the limit of what I could do.

I'm about an inch-and-a-half shorter than you and probably shorter arms, but when I took a nice long test ride on a V7II at the National, I fit just fine on that bike.   If I were riding by myself, I wouldn't hesitate to put a decent set of luggage and a custom seat on that thing and take off for the Other Coast.

Were I you I wouldn't hesitate to try one.   Light, handy, fully highway capable, easy on fuel and tires .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
Wayne:

I'm 6 foot 1" and about 230 pounds.  33 to 34 inch inseam. 

By my lights, my '13 V7 Stone fits me perfectly.  I find it vastly more comfortable for long trips than my prior Yamaha FJR or BMW 1200 GS.

I've fitted mine with Norman Hyde "M" bars and a bikini fairing. 

But this is a deeply subjective issue.   I like really small/light bikes, and shy away from the "hippo bikes." Indeed, I find my '12 Kawasaki Ninja 250 with Corbin seat to be terrific for long distance.  So maybe I'm just crazy.

You are more than welcome to take an extended test ride on my V7 if you want to check it out.   I'm in the Dallas, Texas area, but plan to make the OK, AR, LA, KS rallies.   But I grew up in Decatur, Ga and regularly go to Atlanta and Columbus.  Happy to link up if we can work it out.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:48:21 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »

But this is a deeply subjective issue.   I like really small/light bikes, and shy away from the "hippo bikes." Indeed, I find my '12 Kawasaki Ninja 250 with Corbin seat to be terrific for long distance.  So maybe I'm just crazy.

You're right about the "Subjective" part, for sure.   When I rode the V7, I would have sworn that I was back on my old Yamaha R5 (I was coming off a loaded Stelvio).   I mean, it felt THAT light, even though it weighed 100 pounds more than my old Yammie and had twice the motor .... !

That's a hard feeling to get used to when you've been putting inter-galactic mileage on beasts like EVs and Stelvios!

Lannis

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »
I'm 6 foot 1" and about 230 pounds.  33 to 34 inch inseam.
By my lights, my '13 V7 Stone fits me perfectly...

Thanks for the reassurance. I have yet to test-ride a V7, but at 6' tall, with a 32" inseam, and 115 pounds, I'm always concerned that I'm on the large size for the small Guzzi.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
But I'm not sure if those handlebars are too low for me. I never liked low bars.

I always considered a handlebar to be a non-permanent thing to be tried and changed until happy.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
Well, I'll add a different subjective view. I'm 6 ft even, with a 32" inseam. I've always found the V7 in any of its forms to be a bit cramped. I was able to ride my Breva 750 for one Ironbutt ride, but it was just a Saddlesore 1000. It was a fun bike, but just too tight - and later V7 models didn't get any better for me.

I never complained about other aspects - the power plant wasn't a problem, and newer ones are much improved. Handlebar position was good, very much 'standard'. It was simply a one-tank bike - I could ride it for one tank, but after that it just wasn't as much fun any more that day.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »
I'm 6 foot, 32 inch inseam, and made a 2 inch higher seat for my V7.  Stock was a bit too cramped for me.  I knew that going in but it wasn't an issue.  I've raised the seat on almost every bike as opposed to lowering the pegs-I'm never too pleased with the stock offering and can make my own or have Rocky make one for me.  Kills two birds so to speak.

Most I've done yet is 450 miles and it was fine.  Actually have done that ride several times.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
I test rode a V7 Stone a few years ago. For part of the 40 minute ride, I slid up on the passenger seat. The bike felt cramped for me. I'm down to about 6'1" and built like a gorilla(very big with long arms and trunk). If I wanted a V7, I think I'd get  the humped, solo seat and have the rear hump moved back a bit so that I could move a bit forward or back on the seat as the road or my discomfort demanded.

That's a 4XL jacket and 3XL helmet.

North Carolina

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »
I think it's such a subjective thing it's hard to relate from one person to another.

But I'll say this - thick seats, taller bars, lowered pegs all have the ability to change whatever it feels like with regards to ergos into something else.

So I'll predict it COULD be fine, if you liked the rest of the package.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
6' 2" with a 34" inseam. 

The stock V7 is just a wee bit cramped.  I fixed this by putting on the Guzzi 1.5 seat (https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=75507) which allows me to comfortably slide back further than the stock 2-up seat.

I also added a beadrider to avoid monkeybutt, and that also has the effect of raising me up ever so slightly farther away from the pegs, giving just a little bit more room. 

Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline valval

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
6' 3" and 190lbs  36 inseam. My 13 stone was cramped with the stock seat. I put a 1.5 guzzi seat with air hawk and it is fine. Without an air hawk those seats would kill me.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
I think it's such a subjective thing it's hard to relate from one person to another.

But I'll say this - thick seats, taller bars, lowered pegs all have the ability to change whatever it feels like with regards to ergos into something else.

So I'll predict it COULD be fine, if you liked the rest of the package.

For one-up riding, I can't think of a standard bike made that I couldn't make perfectly comfortable for me with the right bars, seat, and peg placement, including a 250 Ninja or a 300 CR Honda.

It wouldn't be the same setup as someone else's, but it wouldn't need to be.

The only ones I couldn't do that with would be the low-seated, high-barred, forward-control sort of bikes - that would probably take some welding and stuff.   

Lannis

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
Wayne, I did that motorcycle ergo simulator site thingie, at 6'-3"
 you'd come off as a praying mantis.
YMMV
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Darmie

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
I'm approx 6.1 at 220 with approx 32inseam. I was comfortable on the TU that I had. My wife thought I looked cramped but it was a fun confortable bike. I did move the handlebars forward just a tad and that made a great difference. The Guzzi does feel like a bigger bike.See the picture of the two.

My friend has the pictured harley. I feel that I have more room on the guzzi.

When I test rode a goldwing, I owned at the time a Vstrom. I felt really cramped on the Wing. I now have gotten use to riding the wing. To  me, I have as much room on the guzzi compared to the Wing, if not a touch more.
If your looking for a bike that feels like has a lot of room, Then maybe sit on a Vstrom. I know they are a much different bike than the guzzies, but they do have the room and are fun in the twisties.

2016 V7 II Stone

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
6' 4", 285, 32" inseam, I sold my V7 because I did indeed look like a praying mantis.  It was just too cramped.  The V7II, with a 1.5" higher seat (thanks Sargent), dialed in perfect

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
6' 4", 285, 32" inseam, I sold my V7 because I did indeed look like a praying mantis.  It was just too cramped.  The V7II, with a 1.5" higher seat (thanks Sargent), dialed in perfect

You would have liked to have seen a 6'8" 280 pound 36" inseam guy (who shall remain nameless but his initials are HDGoose) on his sporty Lemans when he had it .... There were elbows and boots everywhere when you rode your bike behind him, but he rode it long, hard, and regular all the way across the country and up and down the East Coast, and I can't remember any complaints  ....

Did I say subjective already?   I probably did, more than once ...

Lannis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
I'm 6'2" tall with a 34 inch inseam (pants length type inseam).  I'm perfectly at home on my DT100, after installing the right bars and moving the pegs to a good location.

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
You would have liked to have seen a 6'8" 280 pound 36" inseam guy (who shall remain nameless but his initials are HDGoose) on his sporty Lemans when he had it .... There were elbows and boots everywhere when you rode your bike behind him, but he rode it long, hard, and regular all the way across the country and up and down the East Coast, and I can't remember any complaints  ....

Lannis

Is he only 6'8"? Seems taller. First met him at the Kentucky rally many years ago. Saw him rolling in. Internal computer starts running.. giant on a Lemans.. Florida plates.. "Hi, Gary.. I'm Chuck in Indiana..  :smiley: How the hell are you?" Met him again out in California. Nice guy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »

Lannis

To each their own, I was adding my .02, that's what forums and threads are for.  I never said it couldn't be done.  What's your point?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
To each their own, I was adding my .02, that's what forums and threads are for.  I never said it couldn't be done.  What's your point?

No point really.   Since the subject of a "praying mantis" on a motorcycle had come up, I was just mentioning one that really rode in that mode, a long way, and enjoyed it, sort of as an example.  To each their own, I was adding my .02, that's what forums and threads are for.

Lannis

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
No point really.   Since the subject of a "praying mantis" on a motorcycle had come up, I was just mentioning one that really rode in that mode, a long way, and enjoyed it, sort of as an example.  To each their own, I was adding my .02, that's what forums and threads are for.

Lannis

Cute on the mirroring.  If you hadn't have quoted me, I would have believed you.  "ITSec" is 6' and 32" inseam, and he says the original V7 was too tight, and I agree.  The seat is low, the pegs are high, it's a small bike.  The OP asked a legit question, and I gave him an answer based on my personal real experience, not watching someone else. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
Cute on the mirroring.  If you hadn't have quoted me, I would have believed you. 

Back to therapy for me, then.   And I was SO close to being clean .....

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Wayne, no one has mentioned it yet, but have you considered a V9?

I believe I remember at least one person who has ridden them compare the seating position to that of the Tonti Cali.

I wonder if you do in fact find the V7 a little cramped of the V9 might offer a tad more room?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 10:01:43 PM »
Would be nice if they built an enlarged V7 with the V9 mill.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 06:47:26 AM »
Wayne, no one has mentioned it yet, but have you considered a V9?

I believe I remember at least one person who has ridden them compare the seating position to that of the Tonti Cali.

I wonder if you do in fact find the V7 a little cramped of the V9 might offer a tad more room?

I was going to bring this up, but you beat me to it, Kev. I sit farther back on a V9. *I* didn't like it, but you might, Wayne. Of course, I'm "Italian sized.. " 5'8".
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »
Would be nice if they built an enlarged V7 with the V9 mill.
Hear, hear! I second the motion.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:21:01 AM by kenvil1 »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:04 AM »
If you really want to know just go over to the dealer and ride both, the V9 & V7.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
Wayne, I'm not quite as tall as you at 6'0" and I have a 34" inseam.  I have taken a test ride on a V7 and found it reasonably comfortable, at least short term.  For comparison, I also test rode a 750 Breva and felt like my knees were in my armpits.  As you know, I ride a Sport 1100 so I might not be the best judge of comfort (or sanity, but who among us can claim that, after all we ride Guzzis!)  For comparison since you have experience with one, I find my Centauro to be pretty good, with a more upright position on the bars compared to the Sport.  The only trouble with the Centy was that I kept dragging the edges of my boots going around corners.  I fixed that by putting the foot pegs back where they belong, and then getting Rich Maund to add a couple inches of height to the saddle to get the seat-to-peg distance back where it's supposed to be.  As to the V9, I took one for a spin last year at the Western NY rally.  Seat and bars were OK, pegs were way too forward to the point that I had trouble finding them a couple of times taking off from a stop.  Once moving the pegs did seem reasonably comfortable.  More time on one might develop acclimation to the pegs, just throwing that out as information.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
As to the V9, I took one for a spin last year at the Western NY rally.  Seat and bars were OK, pegs were way too forward to the point that I had trouble finding them a couple of times taking off from a stop.  Once moving the pegs did seem reasonably comfortable.  More time on one might develop acclimation to the pegs, just throwing that out as information.

Hey Howard, for comparison do you have any time on a Tonti Cali? If so it would be great to hear how similar or dissimilar the V9 peg position was?

I'm thinking it's more like than not.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here