Author Topic: Celebrating end of one career - some Guzzi content  (Read 2558 times)

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
Celebrating end of one career - some Guzzi content
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
I have long envied folks who toured in Europe. And particularly Pat Hayes who seems to do it both well and often.  Since ending my 37 year, 7 to 5 work habit last October I decided to join the club. My wife's attending a month long school in Barcelona was a good-enough premise for timing and start point.

I ended up renting a soul-less Bavarian excessively large Moto from Hispaniatours and did a solo version of their "Pyrenees: Culture and Curves" route. 10 days of bliss I can highly recommend. They provided a great bike, programmed the route into the GPS and made reservations at a delightful series of small and charming hotels. No complaints about the GS 1200 beyond it's being unnecessary - though the low end torque made things easy. Since the route was Catalan on the east, Basque on the west and mostly hopped across mountain passes, my normal guilt over not knowing enough Spanish or French was easily set aside. I made no serious attempt at language trusting to the people and a positive attitude. Who really is going to learn Basque, eh? (And there is always Google translate anyway). Indeed, in some of the smaller towns there was quite a bit of pointing happening and some meals can be identified only by photos.

Route choice provided a welcome and familiar touch.  Riding mostly Northern California roads I am accustomed to "goat trails", but here was the real deal - lots of twisty single lane or barely two-lane, with actual goats. Or cattle. Or sheep. Even forced to stop once for a herd (gaggle?) of chickens when the route chose to go through what appeared to be a farmers yard - but this was to avoid upsetting the owner, as the BMW could have handled the chickens OK.

Many good memories, but two special ones were getting stopped on col du Tourmalet for a couple hours while a bicycle race finished, and when the Moto museum in Bassella allowed me to visit on their normally-closed Wednesday. The cleaning staff were pleasant and they had a nice collection that included several Moto Guzzi. Now, if only I had done this on a Falcone....

fb image upload

Online kfz

• Gosling
Re: Celebrating end of one career - some Guzzi content
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »
Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself.  With norCal roads as a primer I'm sure you were ready for most anything Europe has to offer. I used to live in norCal (Yuba City) and miss all it's great MC roads. 1 time I had to deal with a herd of sheep not far from YC.  :huh:  The sheep herder told me what to do.  Later I found out he wasn't supposed to be blocking the road like that.   But every couple years I ride up there to get my mojo back on primo roads to enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:59:04 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :1:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Nice. Flock of chickens, btw..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
Nice. Flock of chickens, btw..  :smiley:
True, technically, but why not "a broaster of chickens" or "a Sanders of chickens", or maybe even "a fil-A of chickens"? :laugh:
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
 Thanks for such a wonderful report  :bow:

Might have been a brood of chickens  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
True, technically, but why not "a broaster of chickens" or "a Sanders of chickens", or maybe even "a fil-A of chickens"? :laugh:

At the time I was thinking more of a "smear of chickens", or perhaps "smoosh of damn birds".  But cute they were. Won't likely return (too many roads to ride), but I won't likely forget the trip.

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:19:28 PM »
I've been to Barcelona also. Did the hop on-hop off bus tour of the city. That's the best way to see it. No driving, no searching parking places, take your time and see what you want to see.

We stayed in a little seaside village about 30 minutes by train outside the city. GREAT!
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
"a delightful series of small and charming hotels."
That sounds like something I ought to treat myself to!
How about elaborating a little on the food and the hotels?
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline GuzziDog54

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Sounds (reads?) like an amazing trip! I've spent a lot of time in Europe, but never on a motorcycle, I must do it some day!
2015 MG California 1400 Custom
1973 MG Eldorado
2004 BMW R1150R Rockster
1993 BMW R100GS
1978 BMW R100/7
1975 BMW R90

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here