Author Topic: Lift Jack?  (Read 6768 times)

bpreynolds

Lift Jack?
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
Last year I got the red hb table lift and it has proven greatly beneficial; yet, I quickly realized that it was by no means going to be a be all, end all sorta deal and now I’m ready to get something I can use for suspension work, tire removal, and that kinda thing where I need to get the bike off the tires basically. Is there something I could use in conjunction with the lift? For instance, I’ve considered a small trolly jack or something of that sort but then I kinda doubt that’s gonna fit on the lift with the bike, know what I mean? There are a few scissor lifts out there that might work where the base would fit fine under the oil pan and still fit on the lift. Any suggestions welcome and/or pics of the way you guys relieve suspension or tires on the lift. There is probably something ridiculously simple I am missing here.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Lift Jack?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
When I have had both wheels off the machine while on the lift table, I have used a rescued scissors jack with a length of 2x4 under the oil pan with the bike on the center stand.
I had some straps also just for piece of mind.  Worked for me.

Others will probably chime in with better ideas.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
A good wheel chock, two ratchet straps a scissor jack out of your car and block of wood. Bolt the wheel chock to the lift. If you want to remove the rear wheel, nose into the wheel chock and jack up the back end. For the front wheel removal back it into the chock and jack and a block under the oil pan (may require straps if you tire is to wide for the wheel chock to lock into position) I have put up to a 180 tire in my Baxley sport chock with the use of straps to keep things in place.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
Right now, I just use a scissors jack, but eventually I plan to buy something like this for use on the lift table:
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-jack/p/MC-JACK/

Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
Can you not raise it up with the table, strap it up in the rafters and them drop the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »
Two methods have worked well for me.

My HandyLift has a stout nose wheel vice and with a single ratchet strap over the top of the front tyre, I'm comfortable of using all manners of jacks under the bike to gain access to any part. By strapping across the top of the tyre, verses straping to the forks or frame, jacking the frame does not alter the ratchet strap tension.  Safer!

Sometimes I choose to lift the bike from the floor.  I have an inexpensive 120V electrical winch bolted to a 2x10 and lag bolted to stout ceiling joists.  As I am never lifting the whole bike, only one end, I'm confident of the small load imposed on the ceiling.

As my bikes are getting taller and I'm getting smaller, the ceiling winch is becoming the most used option.

Ciao,
Dick Casey

84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
I use my Handy lift for major maintenance but some times I also need to use a scissors jack (like the one mentioned by Antetam Classic Cycles).  Note that the jack mentioned also has wings to limit lateral twisting on the jack.  That's important for stability.  Cheap jacks won't offer the extra stability.  The last thing you want is for the jack to rock when you put torque on some fastener.

Peter Y. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

dilligaf

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
I welded a plate and 1/2 inch drive socket to a scissor jack.

I recommend a 2 X 4 as a softener.

I think someone gave me this lift jack or maybe I purchased it someplace.  I also use it on my lift table.

I don't have a Handy lift but I do have a simple "Come a Long" attached to a rafter.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
If I can get the bike on the table there's no problem getting a rear wheel out as a section of the table comes out. I use a scissor type platform jack on top of my lift bench but I have made a platform from plywood and steel to fit the sump. This fits one end of the jack and can't slide about because there are a couple of bolts protruding underneath that fit in holes that were already in the top of jack. At the other end is one of the original posts and I use this to support the gearbox. There are outriggers on the jack base which make it stable side to side and as you can see here I use it for complete rebuilds. When a complete machine is on the stand how I want it, I sometimes use tie-downs to keep everything still.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:58:56 PM by v7john »
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

bpreynolds

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »
I think someone gave me this lift jack or maybe I purchased it someplace.  I also use it on my lift table.

Matt

Matt, thanks for posting.  I'm having trouble picturing how you would get this on the lift with bike.  Do you come in at an angle?

Right now, I just use a scissors jack, but eventually I plan to buy something like this for use on the lift table:
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-jack/p/MC-JACK/

I really like this one.

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
I clamp the wheel of the motorcycle into the wheel vice attached to my lift table.  Then I just pick it up slide it between the lift table and the bottom of the motorcycle.  Nothing to it.  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:07:03 PM by dilligaf »

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
I clamp the wheel of the motorcycle into the wheel vice attached to my lift table.  Then I just pick it up slide it between the lift table and the bottom of the motorcycle.  Nothing to it.  :BEER:
Matt

Matt, I hope you nor anyone else suffers the same mishap I had.  Ten years ago I was helping a friend by working on his Yamaha SR500.  I had clamped his front wheel as tightly as my Handy Lift would go.  I jacked under the engine and raised the rear wheel high enough to remove the wheel.  Since the jacking point was forward of the center of gravity (CG), the wheel lifted from the wheel vice and the bike fell from the raised Handy Lift.  

The only real casualty was my pride and my wallet.  Finding a "Flawless" replacement gas tank was an expensive excursion.  

One of your images shows a BMW boxer with the scissors lift at the front of the engine, and well forward of the CG. Please secure the front wheel with a strap over the wheel and do not replicate my blunder.

Ciao,
Dick
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:03:03 PM by racasey »
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Online mrrick

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:37 AM »
My guy used a Fat Jack to take a bike (that was already on the lift) up father, to unload the shocks for wheel removal.
K&L brand, seen here:
http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK.aspx

dilligaf

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
Dick,
Thanks for the warning.  ;-T That was just a handy place to put the jack to take the picture.  ;D  Never had a bike fall off a life in over 30 years but, there is always a first time.  I have however, had a lift collapse so I recommend you always use the safety bar.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
The Fat Jacks work great. You can even stack them. A friend has a couple in his shop.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
From your description your looking for a Bike Tower.
Unfortunately, they're not for every bike. Here's on for the Ducati Scrambler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_KIubWlbk&feature=youtu.be
Kirk

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
Several years ago I bought what I thought was a cheesy electric scissor jack at Walmart. It has since become indispensable when working on the motorcycle. Plug it in the power outlet  up a little back down a little no effort at all.  If I feel it is too high for stability I can lower it way down after the wheel is removed to increase stability
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here